Riding A Honda Wave 125

Ling Kae

I have calculated that going via highway #3 it is 279 kms to Laem Ngop from Pattaya. Taking it easy with many breaks I estimate it would take me 6 hours to get to ferry terminal there. From there a ferry and a short ride to White Sands Beach would not be too hard.

I have gone to Rayong before with the bike and that is 1/3 of the way and then returned to Pattaya without any difficulty. Do you people think 279kms by bike is a bit too far or is it quite do able? :o

I have calculated that going via highway #3 it is 279 kms to Laem Ngop from Pattaya. Taking it easy with many breaks I estimate it would take me 6 hours to get to ferry terminal there. From there a ferry and a short ride to White Sands Beach would not be too hard.

I have gone to Rayong before with the bike and that is 1/3 of the way and then returned to Pattaya without any difficulty. Do you people think 279kms by bike is a bit too far or is it quite do able? :o

There was a story in the press last year about a guy who rode his Honda Dream (or Wave, can't remember), from CM down to Singapore - and back again. So I don't see why not

i would think its doable yes if your not in a hurry, but as always safety over longer distances becomes an issue as you are on the road for longer, i would probably do it myself other may not

Just be careful as always (wear the saftey flips not the regular ones :o )

Its probably a lot safer than riding bangkok to phuket

Way too far to go on a motor bike. You would be better off taking a mini bus from one of the travel agents and then you can rent a motor bike on Ko Chang.

Barry

I think its more about the adventure than having a bike when your on the island to use and the ability to stop along the way to see stuff

Thanks for the replies and the link to the story. I have been to Koh Chang before and find the mini van trip uncomfortable. It is not a cost thing it's the adventure of doing it. I have been riding all my life so I am quite experienced. I regularily go to Bang Saray, Bang Saen, Sattahip and the surrrounding areas but never quite as far as 279 kms on a small bike. Davethailand, thanks for the tip on a visor, got one already, I even find it difficult on 2nd. road with all the cr@p flying into your eyes. :o

Barring the dangers involved (with ANY sized bike) and the time it would take, it's possible. One of my family's old drivers rode his little bike all the way from Bkk to Yasothorn! This was also during the Songkran holiday if I recall which made it even more difficult/dangerous. We all laughed when we heard about his trip, but I guess if you want to do a long distance ride on one of those things, it can be done.

My wife's brother sometimes take his Wave from Bangkok to Pattaya and back, doesn't seem to think there's much to that. I wouldn't do it though, I prefer the comfort of my truck for that kind of distance.

Instead of vizir consider getting a pair of "security glasses" (sunglasses with no color in the glass, not sure how else to explain it). Lukdod sell them for about 100 baht or so, they're very handy to avoid getting your eyes blasted by crap and bugs when you ride a bike, and cheap enought to throw away when they get scratched.

I took a Phantom to Buriram with my GF on the back, good fun but as said before take sunglasses for the day and clear glasses for night, they have big insects here trying to head but your headlamp.

You might be wringing the neck of a wave sitting at 90-100 kmph all day, watch you don,t seize it.

I took a Phantom to Buriram with my GF on the back, good fun but as said before take sunglasses for the day and clear glasses for night, they have big insects here trying to head but your headlamp.

You might be wringing the neck of a wave sitting at 90-100 kmph all day, watch you don,t seize it.

I would do it if it was my only form of transport.

Hope you've developed a thai style hard arse because after a few hours on a wave you will wish you had!

Watch your fuel level,only a small tank do'nt let it get too low.And consider an oil change before you go.

The 125 will be ok on the hills of Koh Chang.Wish I was back there now.

Cars usually got AC.

Make sure you bring some water, riding longer stretches on a bike you'll risk dehydration.

Did that once and suddenly became dizzy, pulled over immedeately, falling off at speed is not good for you.

Have a nice trip!

:o

1 You are an experienced rider, so there is no need to say that you want a full face visor, particularly with the chippings on these roads, and with these bugs in the air.

2 Sundays would be considerably safer, and consider the time of day, too.

3 A 200cc would be SO much more comfortable. Safer too :o

I have gone to Rayong before with the bike and that is 1/3 of the way and then returned to Pattaya without any difficulty. Do you people think 279kms by bike is a bit too far or is it quite do able? :D

Betta getta a Vespa.

I wouden't be seen dead on one of those japanese plastic bikes. Get a PX and do it in style, fun and better all round weather protection. Besides the PX is indestructible and you can load it as a horse :o

I have gone to Rayong before with the bike and that is 1/3 of the way and then returned to Pattaya without any difficulty. Do you people think 279kms by bike is a bit too far or is it quite do able? :D

Betta getta a Vespa.

I wouden't be seen dead on one of those japanese plastic bikes. Get a PX and do it in style, fun and better all round weather protection. Besides the PX is indestructible and you can load it as a horse :o

Havent got a clue what your on about, somthing distracted me! :D

Betta getta a Vespa.

I wouden't be seen dead on one of those japanese plastic bikes. Get a PX and do it in style, fun and better all round weather protection. Besides the PX is indestructible and you can load it as a horse :D

Matty, you seem to have raised a couple of good points :D:o

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I just did the trip on my Honda Wave 125. It was a great trip, the bike went extremely smooth and the roads were great. It is a trip I will never forget and I loved it. The best piece of advice I got was from chaiyapoon, he said "Hope you've developed a thai style hard arse because after a few hours on a wave you will wish you had!" HOW TRUE!! I found myself pulling up under trees just to give my bum a rest. Thanks to everyone for all your words of wisdom, from me to anyone who is considering doing it, just do it, it's fun. Here is a pic of my bike at one of the scenic lookouts. :o

post-29657-1156988165_thumb.jpg

If you are interested in accommodation on Koh Chang take a look At This Thread I have going in travel forum.

• 2 years later...
Thanks for the replies and the link to the story. I have been to Koh Chang before and find the mini van trip uncomfortable. It is not a cost thing it's the adventure of doing it. I have been riding all my life so I am quite experienced. I regularily go to Bang Saray, Bang Saen, Sattahip and the surrrounding areas but never quite as far as 279 kms on a small bike. Davethailand, thanks for the tip on a visor, got one already, I even find it difficult on 2nd. road with all the cr@p flying into your eyes. :o

A couple of years too late to be of any use to the OP, but the way that the other posters in this thread are carrying on, anyone would think we are talking about a journey to the end of the earth!  I hope im not alone in the way i think coming from australia, but i rode up from Sydney to Mount Isa a few weeks back, a distance of 2,316kms.  I didnt make any particularly special preparations for the trip besides bying some tart lemon drops to carry along for the dull moments, checking my chain tension and changing my oil.

While I have a bit of a hard time understanding why an experienced rider would wonder if this distance is coverable on a small bike, i have an even harder time understanding why so many people would try to talk him out of it!  It's 279kms!  An easy half day trip, even on a small bike.  Doing a return trip would be keen, but not overly ambitious.

While travelling through australia, south korea, japan, russia, indonesia and new zealand, i averaged a yearly mileage of 50,000~70,000kms over a period of 7 years.  some years were bigger than others, and some bikes were smaller than others.  The bikes ranged from an 1100 virago and a CBR1000 at the top end right down to VF125's, GN125's etc and even some 50cc scooters and honda 90cc step throughs.  most of the bikes were either over 1000cc, or under 125cc, with few in between.  Out of the 7 years, I'd guess maybe 70% of the mileage was clocked up on locally produced bikes (often imitations) under 125cc.  

For a one day trip on a 125, you can push yourself to 700~800km if you're a real iron butt type and a glutton for punishment with no need to eat, go to the toilet or enjoy the scenery.  Mileage you can do in a day is a personal affair, and while i consider myself to be a hardass when i need to (a whole string of 1000 mile days to my credit) for enjoyment on a small bike i find 200~300kms a day is ideal.  At that pace, you can wake up late, stuff around, cruise along and enjoy the scenery, stop for meals, talk to locals and generally have a good time.  you can still quite comfortably push yourself to 400~500 on a one day trip on a small bike if need be.  Most people can safely and comfortably ride their biggest distance when fresh on the first day, and it falls off by 10%~20% of that distance per day until it levels out to a sustainably 40%~50% of that distance.  On extended journeys (2 weeks plus, riding every day with no breaks) i find 200kms a day is pretty much perfect on a small bike of any capacity.

While I'd consider 279kms to be a day trip with no particular special needs other than a quick walk around before departing, longer journeys (1,000km+) need a bit more attention.  Look after your chain tension and lubrication (carry a can of lube and lube up at every tank of gas), do an oil change at your regular interval (I go for 1,000kms on small bikes, 4,000kms on big bikes but depends on where and how you ride), back off a bit from your standard speed to not overstress your small bike, especially if air cooled!  Look after your own health on long distance rides too, make sure you get enough sleep, and if you cant eat right at least eat light.  fatigue is a big killer, so make regular stops to stretch and enjoy the views.  A sour lemon drop or extra strong mint can sharpen you up enough to get to the next town.  

lastly, think big!  Walter Muma did an 18,660km trip on a moped....  a pedal assisted motorbike.  I have many times clocked up 10,000kms in a month on small capacity second hand motorbikes i bought in countries for less than $500.  you can get anywhere so long as you are not in a hurry.

Shaun

You are so right , when two up on a 50cc moped (pedal assisted ) can travel from lands-end to John-o-groats with only a couple of punctures ( Flats) , whats a few hundred klicks on a 125 ? Should it ;'Give up the ghost , take it back to the dealer and throw it through his window , the only thing that should need a rest or two is your body , if you are indicative of todays society , joke , lard ass . :o

Went to Tempasit Market bought 2 thick lambs wool seat covers, put one on a new Honda Wave 110cc and the other on a new Yamaha Nouvo Excellance135cc. Travelled to Koh Chang in 6hrs with fuel stops and cool drink stops. spent 2 days there and returned today. We had no problems and had a good time. A bit hot on the return trip today, my friend was on the Honda solo and I had the wife with me on the Yamaha which has a box fitted to the rear. I have tubless mags fitted and run 33psi in the front and 41psi in the rear which is recommended. Front ran a bit warm, rear ran a bit hot considering the weight and the temp today all went well. :o We had a good time at the Island :D