Martial Law & is Holiday Insurance still valid?

The clause in an insurance contract you need to look at is force majeure. The below is as it relates to ticketing but health travel insurance may have a similar clause in it. I doubt if martial law is an issue unless it interferes with your travel and effecting your tickets.

Unforeseen events, such as civil unrest, terrorism, war, rioting, natural and nuclear disasters, etc., (known in the travel industry as Force Majeure or ‘Acts of God’), can result in travellers’ flights and holidays being cancelled, with their travel agent refusing to offer a refund. So will your travel insurance cover you in such circumstances?

As well as heeding government warnings, it is essential, then, to read your travel insurance policy thoroughly and to seek out the section covering Force Majeure, before parting with your hard-earned cash at the time of booking. More details here - http://www.travelinsuranceguide.org.uk/blog/2011/04/travel-insurance-cover-for-force-majeure-is-still-unclear-for-many/

• Like 1

Came across this information as it relates to martial law in Thailand:

Will this affect travel insurance?

This is very much a grey area. Usually, martial law triggers an exclusion clause in policies, but because the aim of the army here was to restore peace and the caretaker government is still in place, some firms may cover holidaymakers as usual. Be sure to check with your provider to see what these changes may mean to you. wttc.org

And another but was as the coup was occurring which could fall under war zone.

AMIC’s ‘duty of care’ to conference delegates and staff members is such that the organisation was unwilling to expose colleagues from the region and beyond to potential injury or harm in a situation which is impossible to predict. Also, AMIC took note that, once the coup was announced, all major travel insurance companies advised their clients that coverage for Thailand was negated. In addition, Governments across the world issued travel advisories warning their citizens about travel to Thailand. iamcr.org

I would say the bottom line is to read the contract and if questions regarding this scenario have them clarify it.

• Like 1

If the insurance company can argue that the reason for your claim is due to the imposition of martial law then they won't payout..

Otherwise it is business as usual.

For example: if you miss your flight because a curfew has been imposed or you were injured during an anti-governemnt protest etc..

• Like 1

Cheers guys for the advice I understand there's been a few issues allegedly in Bangkok with tourists being stop checked etc (see photo) just thought I'd check Samui isn't experiencing the same sort of issues and that we'd be covered if it was.

attachicon.gif10350550_891299340904793_3642207274308954892_n.jpg

No insurance anywhere will cover you against being searched by the authorities for drugs etc.

I suggest that if that is why you do not want to come here you do not.

Cheers guys for the advice I understand there's been a few issues allegedly in Bangkok with tourists being stop checked etc (see photo) just thought I'd check Samui isn't experiencing the same sort of issues and that we'd be covered if it was.

attachicon.gif10350550_891299340904793_3642207274308954892_n.jpg

No insurance anywhere will cover you against being searched by the authorities for drugs etc.

I suggest that if that is why you do not want to come here you do not.

Bit presumptious Harry. We wouldn't have an issue with being searched as we have nothing to hide, however if the frequency is a often and random (old people young people etc stopped) as being widely reported 2-3 stops per individual a day alledgedly in the major cities we could see it could somewhat taint our holiday experience of the Thai Islands, as we are (possibly) wrongly assuming the stops would be more frequent in the party areas of Koh Samui, Tao and Phangan.

Thanks for the warm welcome Harry guessing your not working for the ThaiTourist Authority

Martial Law has been lifted of Koh Samui for 6 months now,.

Do you have an official source for that? Although there have been numerous reports about the intention to lift martial law in some tourist areas, I was under the impression that martial law is still in effect nationwide.

Martial Law has been lifted of Koh Samui for 6 months now,.

Do you have an official source for that? Although there have been numerous reports about the intention to lift martial law in some tourist areas, I was under the impression that martial law is still in effect nationwide.

Nothing I have seen would indicate ML in effect ... it never affected most of us when it was... not that I or most people living here, ever noticed...

Even the Full Moon and other parties are happening on Koh Phangan.

Life is quite normal thumbsup.gif

Martial law is still in place - and yes it is nationwide.

1) Check out your own country's FCO reports on Thailand, for the latest travel advisories

2) Call your insurance company (or if you don't have any, then query around) to get details on coverages - and ask them in writing - most will probably have a force majeure-clause where martial law nullifies the cover, at least on some portions, of the insurance.

EDIT:

3) Also found out that the TAT has put up an additional "Travel Shield Insurance" which can be acquired from http://www.tourismthailand.org/ThailandTravelShield/ if your own insurance companies won't want to cover it.

Edited by jabis
  • Like 1