New rules for ED visa

I'm off to chiang mai tonight. Whoever said that my school had some students caught working was right (some Koreans in a Korean barbers) and the hammer is coming down hard on the whole school. Even to us clasd attending students. I noticed that numbers in my class were way down this week. I suspect a lot of people have been kicked out.

Chiang mai is dodgy but hey TIT. My concern is my next trip to BKK immigration when I have my new ED visa from Uni. If they scrutinize my passport and see a CM office stamp there. I guess I'll just say I lived up there for a few months. Sawat de jao....

Why any Koreans would come to Thailand for work at a barber shop other another job is beyond me. Surely they would make so much more money back in Korea. Maybe they think they can get girls very easily here just because they're Korean while girls in Korea wouldn't give them a 2nd look lol.

Why any Koreans would come to Thailand for work at a barber shop other another job is beyond me. Surely they would make so much more money back in Korea. Maybe they think they can get girls very easily here just because they're Korean while girls in Korea wouldn't give them a 2nd look lol.

There are many Koreans, just as there are Europeans or your name it, that are unemployed in their country and happy to take a low pay job in a low cost of life country like Thailand.

to start a post like this I think you really should put your sources etc for this information, who told you the guy on the street?

Krey @ You se what happend.

his post was not about not believing you. His post was more about how you should have stated your source, as we know many people on the forums jump to conclusions and freak people out, just because yours ended up being true doesnt dismiss the fact that he was looking for a source on the original post

I'm off to chiang mai tonight. Whoever said that my school had some students caught working was right (some Koreans in a Korean barbers) and the hammer is coming down hard on the whole school. Even to us clasd attending students. I noticed that numbers in my class were way down this week. I suspect a lot of people have been kicked out.

Chiang mai is dodgy but hey TIT. My concern is my next trip to BKK immigration when I have my new ED visa from Uni. If they scrutinize my passport and see a CM office stamp there. I guess I'll just say I lived up there for a few months. Sawat de jao....

you say numbers in class are down and suspect many students kicked out. are you saying class attending students kicked out? any idea why?

Smedly, could you tell us the name of the school please ?

I have no idea if it is linked to a school, all I know is it is an online course - you do know what online means right

1/ Online means that you are studying on internet on your computer, probably by Skype, instead of coming to the school.

2/ MoE (Ministry of Education) Approved means that in order to deliver an ED visa to students it has to be approved by the Ministry of Education, which in case of your school probably is, otherwise your friend would not have obtained his ED visa

Could you ask your friend tell me the name of the online course and send me a pm? cheers

Edited by Kitsune

you say numbers in class are down and suspect many students kicked out. are you saying class attending students kicked out? any idea why?

Because they have been working as students which is illegal here

Nah many are legitimate students that's were Only given a week by BKK immigration automatically because they came from pro language. Typical over zealous Thai authorities. Catch a few then punish the group even though they are studying.

Nah many are legitimate students that's were Only given a week by BKK immigration automatically because they came from pro language. Typical over zealous Thai authorities. Catch a few then punish the group even though they are studying.

I think you will find that it is not illegal to work on an Ed visa, for not more than 20 hours per week, so long as you have the correct work permit.

Never heard of a rule that allows part-time work for ED-students nor have I ever heard of someone being given a work permit with an ED-visa.

What is possible is to do an internship, but only as part of your education and the curriculum of the school.

• Like 1

Relating to OP.

Sorry if this has already been answered, but it is not true that you must leave the country after 6 months.

Your school must "book" an examination for you at the MoE at the 5 month stage. If you pass, you can extend for another 3 months + 3. This all is dependant on your course. If you take the test you must already have another 200 lessons paid for in order to gain the next 3 month extension.

• Bangkok schools too .

Yeah Bangkok, Phuket and sometimes Pattaya are a bad choice to live if you are going for ED I would suggest. Luckily I despise all 3 locations so...

Anyway my school has not said a word with regards to OP's statement, it is still 4 hours a week and 1 year according to them, and they have been very clued up for the past 4 years.

I think you will find that it is not illegal to work on an Ed visa, for not more than 20 hours per week, so long as you have the correct work permit.

I think you will find it is illegal, there are no provisions set out under the current rules which permits this, fact is the DOL will not issue a WP on an Ed visa, I know Mario has mentioned internships but this is different circumstances and one suspects person concerned needs to be on a B visa

Edited by ubonjoe
Fixed broken quotes, Snipped excess quotes

No you're thinking of other countries. In Thailand it's illegal. So fair enough to kick them out.

What I find really unfair from Immigration is to make pay all the other innocent students of the branch by reducing their extension to 1 week.

The fee for the extension of stay, which remains unchaned at THB 1,900, is not for any school but for the foreigners applying for the extension, regardless of the school where they are enrolled.

In pattaya visa extension fee is now 5000

You mean for ALL the schools?

No questions asked?

Yes all.

I just called my school

1900 +3100 vip

If u pay oy 1900 u get 15 days stamp

And its confirmed in phuket by my friend too

My school said its global.

No questions asked?

Yes all.

I just called my school

1900 +3100 vip

Not in Bangkok

No questions asked?

Yes all.

I just called my school

1900 +3100 vip

Haven't heard anything about this being "global" in bkk.....

No questions asked?

Yes all.

I just called my school

1900 +3100 vip

thats what lady in school said, if its not now may b its coming to the immigration near you, enjoy :D

thats what lady in school said, if its not now may b its coming to the immigration near you, enjoy biggrin.png

Or your school is trying to justify their new scam.

My school just confirmed ; Their Pattaya branch is 1.900 as normal

thats what lady in school said, if its not now may b its coming to the immigration near you, enjoy biggrin.png

i dont know, i hear this from 2 large schools in pattaya, one is my school...

there is topic on it in pattaya section, and looks like more and more ppl reports it

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/793667-changes-to-ed-visa-extensions-jomtiem-immigration/

there is topic on it in pattaya section, and looks like more and more ppl reports it

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/793667-changes-to-ed-visa-extensions-jomtiem-immigration/

This report is saying 3000 not 5000

This report is saying 3000 not 5000

its your normal visa fee 1900 + 3100 "vip" service = 5000 thats what it is

Pay 3,000+1,900 to the Immigration your visa will be extended 90days and you have to pick it up by yourself.If you pay 1,900 bahts,you will get 15 days to check your studying at school and if you are,you will get another 75 days.
If you don't go to school,the visa will be canceled.

This is Thailand, no corruption whatsoever, everyone playing by the rules :-)

Pay 3,000+1,900 to the Immigration your visa will be extended 90days and you have to pick it up by yourself.If you pay 1,900 bahts,you will get 15 days to check your studying at school and if you are,you will get another 75 days.

If you don't go to school,the visa will be canceled.

This is Thailand, no corruption whatsoever, everyone playing by the rules :-)

My friend in CM just called his school and they dont know anything about it...