Musings of an expat returned to Australia

AussieSteve

Hi Steve, I was able to obtain a Spouse Visa for my wife from the Australian Embassy in Bangkok within 2 weeks. Must be some sort of record given some of the other posters' experiences. Being tertiary educated, I spent a great deal of time here in Oz preparing all necessary documents and other proofs of a genuine continuing relationship. If I could suggest to you, the major reasons that I think we obtained my wife's Aussie Visa in record time was that I gave them more information and documents that they required. The fact that my wife has a Bachelor and Masters degree may have also assisted.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am on OAP and married to a respectable Thai Health Practitioner, but about to apply for a Spouse Visa, so very wisely (as it transpired), went thru a well known Bangkok legal firm (Siam Legal), otherwise I could see endless delays arising. An Aussie resident was recently told in Bangkok that it takes 12-months to approve, so he is trying in Oz, but this could take longer or shorter?? as his Thai wife is already living in Australia. Does anyone know what is entailed in the written English test, as my wife's English writing is poor, even though her speech is very good. As it has just taken 5-months to remotely pay the fee in Oz, (because they kept "shifting the goal posts"), I fully expect everything to be difficult, as it would appear that all government beaurocrats now take a compulsory, secondary degree in "puplic obstructionism." I wish 'one and all' good luck, as DIY was once Ok, but it is not so easy now!

AFAIK, there is no written test if you're talking about a spouse visa.

I've just finished reading the financial requirements for a visitors visa, and it states my wife must have sufficient funds in her account to prove she can pay for her stay here.

They don't say how much....... another problem is there have been examples of people applying for this visa who have put 300,000 baht into their account for this situation, or someone else has put it in there for them, and have been rejected because in my wife's words "they thought it was put there just for show"

She got this off a Thai website.

Has anyone had an experience with this financial requirement?

Hi Aussie Steve, I am a Brisbane boy, so, nice to meet you here. I live in Chiang Mai & love it. My wife & I went through the same thing you are intending about 5 years ago. It took 9 mths to get her visa & when we decided to bring her daughter to Aus we were told about the same amount of time. With the child you need to have the migration approved by the Thai Government [Amphur] along with consent of the father. This is where the problems are, getting an official to approve the child leaving the country. When we applied for our daughter we wanted a 12 month tourist visa but were only allowed 3 months by the Thai official. Any way good luck with your challenge.

Ps I will be back in Brisbane for Christmas

I am on OAP and married to a respectable Thai Health Practitioner, but about to apply for a Spouse Visa, so very wisely (as it transpired), went thru a well known Bangkok legal firm (Siam Legal), otherwise I could see endless delays arising. An Aussie resident was recently told in Bangkok that it takes 12-months to approve, so he is trying in Oz, but this could take longer or shorter?? as his Thai wife is already living in Australia. Does anyone know what is entailed in the written English test, as my wife's English writing is poor, even though her speech is very good. As it has just taken 5-months to remotely pay the fee in Oz, (because they kept "shifting the goal posts"), I fully expect everything to be difficult, as it would appear that all government beaurocrats now take a compulsory, secondary degree in "puplic obstructionism." I wish 'one and all' good luck, as DIY was once Ok, but it is not so easy now!

OAP??? ... there are several comments in your utterances that are suss; you purport to be married to a "respectable Thai Health Practitioner" (so she / he is not a doctor !); you then said "but about to apply for a spouse visa" and then go on to imply you are smart (but apparently not smart enough to do it yourself); "otherwise you could see endless delays arising"

You then promote some law firm - which most of us have started to twig, this is not a fair dinkum post.

Australian Immigration (Australia or in Thailand) both cite 'about 12 months if done in Thailand and 15 months if done in OZ while spouse is in OZ'

Then, in a further display of your 'smartness', you ask if an written English test is required; you seem to be jumping from going to do to have done ... methinks a ploy to create doubt in the mind of any reader, to make it seem easier to go to your firm, err the one that is so good ...

"Remotely pay the fee" ??? All visa applications done through Australian Immigration in Thailand have to go through VFS.

Law firms Charter 'to turn the simple into the complex, to increase billable hours'

• Like 1

Hi Steve, I was able to obtain a Spouse Visa for my wife from the Australian Embassy in Bangkok within 2 weeks. Must be some sort of record given some of the other posters' experiences. Being tertiary educated, I spent a great deal of time here in Oz preparing all necessary documents and other proofs of a genuine continuing relationship. If I could suggest to you, the major reasons that I think we obtained my wife's Aussie Visa in record time was that I gave them more information and documents that they required. The fact that my wife has a Bachelor and Masters degree may have also assisted.

just paraphrasing you ... "being tertiary educated, spent a great deal of time here in OZ preparing necessary documents ... but it only took 2 weeks for spousal visa"

and you "gave them more information than they required" (who in their right mind would provide more than required?) Is your wife Thai? If she is, regardless of degrees, then its the same time frame.

Tossers like you give people with Uni qualifications a bad name ... and as an aside; do some research on empirical data of the incidence of prostitution to pay for Uni fees before you come with the 'smarter / holier / better than you' bullshit ...

• Like 1

I've just finished reading the financial requirements for a visitors visa, and it states my wife must have sufficient funds in her account to prove she can pay for her stay here.

They don't say how much....... another problem is there have been examples of people applying for this visa who have put 300,000 baht into their account for this situation, or someone else has put it in there for them, and have been rejected because in my wife's words "they thought it was put there just for show"

There is no set amount.

If your partner cannot afford to fund the holiday, you can "sponsor" her.

Tick the box on the application and provide payslips, a group certificate or a bank statement.

It's all here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/534835-australian-tourist-visa-application/

• Like 1

There is no set amount.

Tick the box on the application and provide payslips, a group certificate or a bank statement.

It's all here:

There is no set amount.

It's all here:

Hi Will27, thanks very much for that reply and link, my wife will be very relieved she is so worried about that as she has been reading other posts on Thai websites.

Edited by AussieSteve

Thanks for coming back and sharing.

Sadly, those days are well gone now.

Both I and my Partner have Uni Degrees.

Her Application was complete, we are in the 'Final Queue' now,

no more documents have been asked for to make their decision.

Takes roughly 10 months from application to decision for the Partner Visa.

There is no 'Spouse' Visa category any more.

A lot changes over 8 years ...

Thanks for your kind comments David as opposed to "Daniel Boon" We have been married for more than 8 years now living in Australia and moving to Thailand soon. I know that the OP could manage his situation with the right approach. I won't give any further advice when idiots like "Daniel Boon" send stupid and uninformed posts. He has no idea how things work here or in Thailand.

Thanks for your kind comments David as opposed to "Daniel Boon" We have been married for more than 8 years now living in Australia and moving to Thailand soon. I know that the OP could manage his situation with the right approach. I won't give any further advice when idiots like "Daniel Boon" send stupid and uninformed posts. He has no idea how things work here or in Thailand.

Mate ... don't give the guy too hard a time.

We get lots of Trolls on the Forum ... I've read a bit of his stuff ... he doesn't usually come across as a Troll.

Indeed, I even raised an eyebrow then you joined the Forum and posted so quickly with a story that doesn't happen now-a-days.

Have a read of this ... should-there-be-an-australian-section-to-thaivisa ... just click the blue writing, you might get a laugh.

Thanks for coming back and sharing.

Sadly, those days are well gone now.

Both I and my Partner have Uni Degrees.

Her Application was complete, we are in the 'Final Queue' now,

no more documents have been asked for to make their decision.

Takes roughly 10 months from application to decision for the Partner Visa.

There is no 'Spouse' Visa category any more.

A lot changes over 8 years ...

Hi David, ever since I joined TV I've been reader of your posts. We have an Aussie background in common, I was born Sydney, worked around the country over the years in construction but settled in Brisbane where I raised my family, then did another year in Perth before coming to Thailand.

Out of all the aussies on TV, I always thought you sounded the most well established and here to stay for the long term. Now it sounds like you're moving back to Oz.

If that's the case I'd be interested to hear why (I know it's none of my business and you can tell me to p** off!) but I have wavered a little bit lately in my commitment to this place. Australia is a great country, without doubt the lucky country, and it easy to see the attraction of living back there, especially if you have a thai partner to take back.

Actually, I was fine living in my ignorant bliss till I joined TV. Living the carefree, high life. Now I've read so much on here, with the negativity far outweighing the positivity, that I find myself viewing everything in Thailand in a cynical and suspicious manner. (subject of my next post)

I know you have some young kids, is it for them? For their education? I could relate to that, I gave my kids a mixed private/state school education in Brisbane, and from what I have seen and heard about the Thai school system there is no way in the world I would educate my child here.

Hi David, ever since I joined TV I've been reader of your posts. We have an Aussie background in common, I was born Sydney, worked around the country over the years in construction but settled in Brisbane where I raised my family, then did another year in Perth before coming to Thailand.

Out of all the aussies on TV, I always thought you sounded the most well established and here to stay for the long term. Now it sounds like you're moving back to Oz.

If that's the case I'd be interested to hear why (I know it's none of my business and you can tell me to p** off!) but I have wavered a little bit lately in my commitment to this place. Australia is a great country, without doubt the lucky country, and it easy to see the attraction of living back there, especially if you have a thai partner to take back.

Actually, I was fine living in my ignorant bliss till I joined TV. Living the carefree, high life. Now I've read so much on here, with the negativity far outweighing the positivity, that I find myself viewing everything in Thailand in a cynical and suspicious manner. (subject of my next post)

I know you have some young kids, is it for them? For their education? I could relate to that, I gave my kids a mixed private/state school education in Brisbane, and from what I have seen and heard about the Thai school system there is no way in the world I would educate my child here.

Mate ... always happy to share ...

The reason why the potential return to Australia ...

post-104736-0-35092500-1417856744.jpg

MissFarmGirl's sister* ... and the Boys. Don't ask me definitely which one is which from that Photo. But, if pushed, I'd punt for Jackson on the right.

There are two main reasons.

Educational opportunities for the Boys, plus I need to earn some coin.

The Boys will chew up more cash requirements as they mature.

Wasa, as for ... "Now I've read so much on here, with the negativity far outweighing the positivity, that I find myself viewing everything in Thailand in a cynical and suspicious manner." ... I reckon nah.

If you have chosen your Lassie wisely, and I'm sure you have ... have confidence in that choice.

I've always said ... (implicitly) 'Trust but Verify' ... Still works for me.

Works for the Lady, works for the Family, works for Thailand

The proviso is your Health. Without Insurance, I wouldn't want to be in Thailand.

That's my take on it.

*Just quietly, if there a basic Thai speaker.

• Like 1

Methinks that Danial Boon is jumping to conclusions, as my letter was based on my own personal experiences (as a political target of the Oz govt), plus other anecdotal evidence that I have received from other citizens. Many are quite capable of a DIY spouse visa, but I correctly surmised that I would have more than the usual political problems, as I was previously the Branch President of a political party in Oz. The legal firm concerned offered me a competitively priced 'package deal' covering a couple of services, (not associated with me, other than I am just another client), but their correct advice has saved me about $1,500 when the DSS tried to "stab me in the back." After 10-months of continual harrassment (involving unsuccessful attacks by 7-separate beaurocrats) I have won and it is certain that other government and a non government organisation were all behind these very "dirty tricks." I would not expect the average citizen to have so much trouble, unless they have politically upset the government and / or other shady organisations. Remember that all books, writings,letters etc are the writer's own opinion, unless the writer is being directed in a certain way for ulterior motives, which is not so in my case as a former independent Invetigative Journalist.

I happen to have read that post before it was kindly removed, the poster has such a negative outlook on life he must be a real pleasure to be with.

This forum is about helping people overcome a problem they have because of their inexperience. That's why we rely so much on the experience of the longer standing members, which has been such a tremendous help to so many people me included.

Such negative comments from a poster like this doesn't help anyone, except maybe the posters ego, and lack of self respect.

Again thank you to all the helpful advise from the members here, and to the poster with a attitude problem..... why do you bother................?

• Like 1

Are people in denial over whether the scenario I depicted occurs regularly?

How many anecdotes are there on TVF where events have unfolded in more or less the way I described in my post for countless old men who've imported younger SE Asian brides into Western countries?

Ah well never mind; I suppose the aim of the exercise is to keep the delusion going and to pretend that shit doesn't happen

• Like 2

^^^^^,

The younger bride, gets to Frangaistan and suddenely a whole world of opportunites she never knew existed await her.

She suddenely realises not all farangs are 350 lbs in weight, have no hair and no money.

She goes to discos and realises she has alternatives, why stay at home with someone she cant talk to, has nothing in common with, she wants to listen to the latest up to date sounds, not Perry Bloody Como.

She realises there is more to life than changing his incontinence pants and cutting his toe nails.

From what I have observed over the years, if the old guys want a young bride, keep her in Asia, take her home and you are ferked.

Heck no need to go to farangistan to hear the comments of bar girls,

pa khun por bia tiaw, said with such derision you cant help but laugh.

Never mind the oldest swinger in town with his syrup doesnt have a clue he is nothing more than an object of derision and the butt of these girls jokes.

Almost spit my beer out as the old goat gives a wai to some slapper before handing over more money.

Thailand, gotta love the place, Suk soi 4, a human zoo.

• Like 1

^^ Mate ... Haters are always going to Hate.

I read it also .. thus appreciated when it was removed.

Well done MJP ... thumbsup.gif

Hater??!!

I'm no hater, mate. I'm a REALIST.

Importing women from Thailand when there's a considerable age gap is a seriously bad idea.

If the OP thinks he was anything but the best available at the time, there's no hope at all.

The minute she has more options, then poof, she'll be gone.

The guy should head back over here, try to live within his means and stay with his wife

^^ Mate ... Haters are always going to Hate.

I read it also .. thus appreciated when it was removed.

Well done MJP ... thumbsup.gif

Hater??!!

I'm no hater, mate. I'm a REALIST.

Importing women from Thailand when there's a considerable age gap is a seriously bad idea.

If the OP thinks he was anything but the best available at the time, there's no hope at all.

The minute she has more options, then poof, she'll be gone.

The guy should head back over here, try to live within his means and stay with his wife

I often wonder why people like you are on this forum.........is it to help, no........................... is it to tell the world how good you are, yes............. is it to give positive assistance to the inexperienced, no................................... is it to say,"I've been there mate and I know for sure whats going to happen", yes.

As I said before why do you bother writing such negative comments,......................... you are a real bundle of joy.

Are you a happy person who is content with life...... I don't think so. Well keep all that frustration and unhappiness to yourself and stop trying to make everyone else unhappy.

• Like 1

Unfortunately there is a large element of truth in "Aussie Steve's" comments, so choose your Thai partner wisely and not in haste. Worse than a double cross is when they stay in Thailand and disappear with another 'Farang' while the husband is back in Oz making Visa arrangements. This is just one sad case that I encountered and the wife of the handsome young 'well heeled' Aussie was from a highly respected Chiang Mai family; - Refer again to my fellow journalist Eric Huchison's book very aptly titled "Money No.1." At 69 I was very lucky and I am happily married to an older Thai lady, but my advice to younger men is NOT to marry, and to older men, - Be very, very careful and research everything slowly, plus extremely thoroughly. "Act in Haste and You May Repent at Liesure."