Surge of reported police harassment suggests campaign targeting tourists, expats

webfact

Well, here is another story regarding Expats. For the past 5 years I've had a Retirement Non-O Visa. Never had a problem, until 3 nights ago arriving on an early morning flight from Dubai. walked up to the Fast Track counter as I have done every 29 days and there was no one else there but me.

The IO began flipping through my PP and said, I see you come and go every 28 days. I replied, yes I do, I'm still working 6 months out of the year. She then informed me that it was not legal to have a retirement visa and work. I explained that I did not work in Thailand but resided here, even produced my handy dandy Yellow Family Book, which she didn't even open, just told me I need to apply for a Marrige Visa and not renew my Retirement visa. So, when did the rules change, or am I in the wrong??

Signed confused!!!!!

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly very true here in CHiang mai as well-I followed a Thai woman on a motorbike over a road and a policeman stepped out of the shadows and stopped us-he waved the Thai woman on and demanded 500 Baht from me-I wAS OUTRAGED AND WOULDNT comply so he pulled out his book and issued a ticket for Baht 500 and kept my Drivers license. I went down to the station to speak to the commander and said just the same-that what good will it ever do Thailand to target foreigners and tourists,it will only drive them away in the long run.Tourists should be forgiven very readily because we dont know all the laws or see the non-existent signs or we many times we follow the Thais,when in Rome do as the romans do, so it is terribly unfair to stop only the Farangs.Later on after my fine was forgiven I went back several times and watched their actions and indeed they were stopping only foreigners.When they saw me taking video they packed up and left,presumably for aNOTHER STREET CORNER.What are they thinking?????????????????

yeah Chiang Mai is a up place too. They They have been harassing people for years . They don't just stick to street corners ,they rake the whole city.In Bangkok in the days when the teens rode around with those 2 stroke racing mufflers ,and if they went anywhere near the king's Palace they just used to shoot the bastards.

Thais with a little education all know too well what morons their own people are .And,Buddhist

patience flies right out the windows easy in this country. They even dress like the gestapo with their Black uniforms.

Pattaya is not any better

Police stops 80% foreginers on bikes. They know wheres money...

Myself before when I bought Ninja I was stopped everyday sometimes twice!

That was going for few months.

I got thai licence so they were not wery satisfied.

Then they memorized my bike and let me through check points.

But reall everyday i was like bored of it at the time...

Duh.. of course they go after foreigners.. no thai drivinglicense or a foreign one that allows a you to drive a motorcycle. That is no scam its the law. I got a motorcycle too and the only times i get pulled is when I break the law (not staying in the left lane but i rather pay up then risk my life in that suicide lane)
Not true

Lime I said I was harrased everyday.

And most of the times its on red light and crock orders me on the side even i passed there already 100 times. ...

they might not be targeting the right people but they have got the right area, plenty of drug dealers just up the road.

So why is this not happening "up the road" then? Hardly the right area if it's up the road.

More likely one set of fecal mafia lay drugs onto the blacks so another set of fecal mafia down at the intersection can try to intercept the whites they hope have been purchasing.

2 + 2 ain't it?

You know Thailand is a big place, you could just stay away from that one corner in that one street.

Not if you work and live there... Like a lot of us.

I am sorry that you work and live there, how awful for you.

They make it up to me every month when a big chunk of sweaty expat cash shows up in my bank account.

Besides, I get to marvel at all the tourists who actually spend big bucks to stay for a few days where I get paid to live. How sweet is that? (Well, except when the cops need to make up a revenue shortfall.)

I'm not sure how sweet that is, I fail to understand why tourists do go there at all, the place has zero interest for me. If you are the type who would go on that type of holiday though, then I guess its pretty sweet for you.

they might not be targeting the right people but they have got the right area, plenty of drug dealers just up the road.

So why is this not happening "up the road" then? Hardly the right area if it's up the road.

More likely one set of fecal mafia lay drugs onto the blacks so another set of fecal mafia down at the intersection can try to intercept the whites they hope have been purchasing.

2 + 2 ain't it?

As someone earlier pointed out, they are not under the same stations jurisdiction. More likely the dealers are paying their station off, whereas obviously the customers don't have that being done for them.

Also any foreigner actually caught with drugs might be likely to assist the police by informing on their supplier. It could be their intention to target customers if they are having trouble catching the dealers.

Again whats that fb page or group anyone got link

Obviously it's https://m.facebook.com/groups/562587763877947?ref=bookmark

But it seems to be a secret or hidden group. Invite only. So, it makes no sense at all. Paranoia in the rise.

Paranoia or an intelligent response to the military's constant threats against anyone

posting information critical of them on social media.....

I wonder how many people who boast what they would do if they were stopped realize how ridiculous they sound. They know what they would do. It would be "Yes sir. No sir. Sorry officer."

Yeah. And they won't even need to ask for a urine sample.

I wonder how many people who boast what they would do if they were stopped realize how ridiculous they sound. They know what they would do. It would be "Yes sir. No sir. Sorry officer."

Yeah. And they won't even need to ask for a urine sample.

You mean, Yes Sir, No Sir, Opps Sorry about the pee on your fingers Sir

And, it should be. But your earlier apologist posts for corruption and extortion - denying they even exist - I found very offensive, for the way you claimed repeatedly that people either 'deserve' it, or are simply making things up, etc. Also, you referencing experiences from a year ago, in which you took a long walk and 'nothing happened', truly show a lack of understanding on your part. To even say that experiences long before a coup and military takeover of a government, would apply to the same place after such an event, is either purposely avoiding huge news events, or you're just not thinking that through. I might suggest to you, that walking around under martial law in a country which has just lost its rights to free elections, as a foreigner, and sounding off about how everything is 'fine', is not very respectful of anyone. Even if you think you are 'defending Thailand'. I for one, am deeply disturbed to know that my friends here are not allowed to vote anymore, for example. You are not?

I'm a decent, non-drug guy who has lived in Thailand for 5 years, and love this country. And respect it's culture and it's people. But, there is a very big difference between loving a country and it's people for real reasons, and simply bannering a fantasy image because it makes you feel better. You're obviously not taking much time to read people's actual reports, or to even be up on the political situation of a country you claim to be defending. And, if you really believe that you are the only decent foreigner here, and that everyone else simply 'deserves' to be harassed and frightened for stepping outside, then I would submit that you have some more thought to invest in the subject.

Edited by John1thru10

Can anyone verify? I hear Thong lor has spies around Nana to soi 5 and soi 11 to soi 15 trying to identify tourists buying drugs and then texting the info to their buddies up the road as part of a narcotics tourism clean up another guy said it might be coz the police cannot catch the farang that are chopping up bar girls and throwing them in jungle rivers. Asoke has CCTV everywhere so it feels pretty safe to me and I dont fear any police in any busy city area like that just show them my passport and let them search if they want, I find the darker remote sois with no cameras and no life more scary for sure and if I hear or see police coming I will move quickly to where there is a light or CCTV or security guard or shop and then prove my innocence so I can move on. This thread is interesting coz for me I never see so many people take something that I thought was everyday life for many years as regular as taking a piss that it was almost normal and then all of a sudden it becomes news. Over the years I was checked on Sukhumvit 100s of times but in Silom or Siam never and many people warn me that Bangkok has these zones some for business some for shopping and market and some for drugs and girls and so I should be careful where I go if I do not want to be stopped all the time

Thonglor is indeed a bad place for Farangs to walk the streets. The BiBs are even getting 'creative', f.i. by removing all existing ashtrays and flowerpots alongside the street, ...to shake 2,000 out of the Farangs (no Thais) getting rid of a cigarette bud (even in a gutterdrain by absence of alternative), while the side of the walkway is carpeted with the rests of Thai rollies, and, mind you, it's very organised, very 'civil', a cop speaking good English sitting under an umbrella behind a table with a few chairs for the 'culprits', with several plainclothed coppers hidden around with talkie-walkies, plus a few 'big guys' in uniform, hidden too, for 'possible incidents'! Just to name one extortion which was new for me... Oh, and as usually it can be 'negotiated', but then no paperwork...

As if the RTP brass doesn't know about Thonglor, and a few other stations, along Sukhumvit... Of course the post's higher officers should be disciplined, but nothing happens, and a group of Sr. Sgts. can make, and keep, a whole station rotten too...

It is ? Are you talking about Sukhumvit Soi 55 aka Thong Lor ?.

Not once was I even approached or harassed by police officers there. Not at the Sukhumvit end, not at the Phetburi end and nowhere in between, which includes the actual Thong Lor Police station which is just past Thong Lor Soi 18.

For the last month, I walked there every single afternoon, from the Sukhumvit end to Thong Lor Soi 16 or a bit further soi 20. Not once was I approached, nor have I seen any other people being approached either.

I did see that most of the waste bins that have been placed there about 1.5 years ago are gone (there are only two or three left, there used to be many more at the right side of the street). But as a smoker, even dropping the stub somewhere has not lead to police harassment.

Let's not get carried away here.

Indeed... In fact last year on New Years Eve I walked from Ladphrao to Sukhumvit 23 - between here and there including passing the Sutthisan police station, no one bothered me. I think this thread is dominated by the "hate Thailand" crowd but who can't make it back in their home countries...

last year on New Years Eve???

People are talking about last weeks and you are talking about you walked last year from Ladphrao to Sukhumvit 23 and police didn´t ass searched you?

Could you please walk around Thong Lor today and tomorrow .

Uppdate us on sunday about your fine experience.

2 + 2 ain't it?

As someone earlier pointed out, they are not under the same stations jurisdiction. More likely the dealers are paying their station off, whereas obviously the customers don't have that being done for them.

Also any foreigner actually caught with drugs might be likely to assist the police by informing on their supplier. It could be their intention to target customers if they are having trouble catching the dealers.

That they are separate jurisdictions is precisely my point, that's why I specified one set of mafia then onto the other.

As to any foreigner cuaght with drugs ever assisting the police to get the dealer, that might be something done in the West or between Thai on Thai, but for us here all that happens is pay up or jail. They have no interest in going after the dealer, they want the contents of your ATM.

Never had a problem in many years.

Yeah, no change at all in Thailand for many years. Oh right...there was that little military takeover of the government about 6 months ago, but other than that everything's normal. Oh, the end of free elections. That too. But other than that, business as usual. Oh...and I guess, some people got their panties in a bunch about foreign journalists being threatened and expelled, and the human rights website being blocked. And...well, I guess a lot of other outside news sources being blocked.

But, you're right. Other than those things, there's no reason to think anything would be different today than, say, 6 months ago.

Edited by John1thru10

2 + 2 ain't it?

That they are separate jurisdictions is precisely my point, that's why I specified one set of mafia then onto the other.

As to any foreigner cuaght with drugs ever assisting the police to get the dealer, that might be something done in the West or between Thai on Thai, but for us here all that happens is pay up or jail. They have no interest in going after the dealer, they want the contents of your ATM.

Makes sense, since a lot of the police are involved in dealing drugs. Why would they arrest their own employees ?? :-)

terryp, read my previous post, left far behind now. Issan, while not as bad as Bkk is experiencing the same thing. Those that haven't been stopped are lucky, luck always runs out.

For the 2 years I've been living here there is a VCP just outside chock chai (Kratoke ) that appears every 5-6 days I get stopped from time to time show my UK driver licence and passport only if it's asked for, most of the time they look at my DL and that's it, never been "fined" there either and the cops are always polite and friendly never had to step out of the car either.

I have been " fined " 200 baht in other spots in Issan normally they state "speeding" or too long in the outside lane, I pay the fine and off I go.

I've yet to meet the bad cops, I'm fortunate so far in that all the stops have been friendly and relaxed.

I do not wish to get off the subject John. Having said that the Thais need to sort out their problems on their own. I do not believe it is our place to get involved with their politics. Concerning the military and police like i said i have been stopped at numerous road blocks over the years and never had a problem. In one case a group of six men asked me my opinion about George W. Bush. When i told them what i thought of him there was a huge roar of laughter. They wished me luck and i drove home. The Thai police are allowed to check all foreigners when they wish. If foreigners are being treated unfairly they can make a report. Otherwise if they are not doing anything illegal they have nothing to worry about. The same goes for most countries in the world. In my opinion i wish they would do background checks more often. Many foreigner criminals hiding here already.

...before a military take over of the government and martial law. Oh right....that.

2 + 2 ain't it?

If they are working together they sure havent got their intelligence gathering sorted as they keep stopping people who didnt make a purchase from their own men. I think they are either working seperately or the intention is to not stop their customers. Its hardly good for business to lock up your customers, might be better just to appear as though you are trying.

As for foreigners being forced into becoming informants, how do you know? They are hardly going to be bragging about that one, are they?

This is the BiB's way of retaliating against the army. If they can get tourists to stop coming to Thailand that will hurt the army.

Strange how things work here. Army close some dodgy massage parlors in Thong Lo police area. Thong Lo ramp up stop and search, including urine tests, of foreigners. This at a time when tourist numbers and revenue have been falling.

Tit for tat? Recouping lost earnings? Or is that too simple. Now who would gain from casing issues for the current government, and have influence over the police?

I think that persons hold over the police and other persons is now fading quickly and the person is in the panic and headless chicken mode.

Yeah, no change at all in Thailand for many years. Oh right...there was that little military takeover of the government about 6 months ago, but other than that everything's normal. Oh, the end of free elections. That too. But other than that, business as usual. Oh...and I guess, some people got their panties in a bunch about foreign journalists being threatened and expelled, and the human rights website being blocked. And...well, I guess a lot of other outside news sources being blocked.

But, you're right. Other than those things, there's no reason to think anything would be different today than, say, 6 months ago.

So this was the first bloodless coup ?

You know Thailand is a big place, you could just stay away from that one corner in that one street.

Not if you work and live there... Like a lot of us.

I am sorry that you work and live there, how awful for you.

They make it up to me every month when a big chunk of sweaty expat cash shows up in my bank account.

Besides, I get to marvel at all the tourists who actually spend big bucks to stay for a few days where I get paid to live. How sweet is that? (Well, except when the cops need to make up a revenue shortfall.)

Obviously not THAT sweet because you are complaining about the cops.

Warn visiting friends and relatives visiting about this action so they can protect themselves.

Good advice but my visiting friends have cancelled.

Mine too, actually.

When my friends over-seas (various countries) ask me; How is it there? What's going on?

I stay objective.

I send them links only. Just reports.

And let them make up their own minds.

No one I know is coming this year. wai2.gifwai.gif

Funny where i live there were few if any foreigners. Now more than ever. Guess all the tourists are being scared in my direction. The report there are fewer foreigners is total bunk. Have seen more than ever everywhere i go. I guess the toilet over flow is heading down hill sadly in my direction.