Dog barking..the solution, any electronics experts out there?

AllanB

Increasing the input voltage for a circuit designed to operate within a certain voltage range will either blow it up or cause it to fail prematurely.

Even if you knew how high you could go with the input voltage, you're probably not going to get that much more out of it.

Someone mentioned one used 6 batteries, that's 9v. If it was possible to get more output by increasing the input voltage, the manufacturer could include a 12v or 18v or 24v AC adapter for about the same price as the 9v one and be able to claim for example "60dB output on batteries, 70dB output on AC power" (twice as loud). Since they don't, that tells me the circuit was designed for 9v nominal input.

If you want to modify that one, you need to find a point on the board where you have a line-level signal (where it goes into the power amp) and run that into a higher power amplifier that has frequency response of at least 30-35k. Maybe you could just use the output to the piezo transducer and possibly put an attenuator on it so it doesn't distort. Most audio amps roll off fast over 16kHz and have a lot less output at 20kHz and almost nothing at 30kHz. And to handle the higher power, you'll want to have the amp drive a horn tweeter with a frequency range of up to 30-35kHz.

I think it was around 22-25kHz where mine worked the best but it you just have an oscillator that outputs a steady sine wave, to the dog it would be like listening to the hi-pitched noise of an old CRT TV flyback (about 15kHz), it's a little annoying if you can hear that high but you get used to it, so would the dog.

What you need, and this device probably has it, is a modulated, sweeping frequency like you can hear here, except at ultrasonic frequencies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSMyY3_dmrM

Steps involved:

Open the device and locate the line-level signal.

Find or build an ultrasonic audio amp and a power supply

Buy a suitable horn tweeter.

Box it up and connect the device to the amp and amp to horn tweeter.

It's not as simple as turning the existing device up to 11.

If I had problem dogs near my house I'd probably build one, the bigger, the better. Bark-activated so if the dog's not barking, the thing's not outputting any sound.

My only annoyance now is roosters.

what frequency / wavelength works best and does a dog get familiar with it and ignore it ?

do other animals hear it too ?

Can you make one that is directional like a radar gun ,

Does a dogs bark have a certain frequency / wavelength ? then you could make it the trigger at that frequency / wavelength to turn it on.

and how much does it hurt other non barking dogs who can not get away from your dog silencer ? maybe they are in a cage or restricted area?

I do not have a dog problem how as they moved , but who knows the future and I hate to hurt a non barking dog to try and "teach" a barking one

The devices on the market at present don't "hurt" the dog, they distract it or irritate it, rather like their barking irritates the neighbour, I think the problem is they get used to it, rather like the Thais do their dog's barking. Even the loudest of these devices is only 1.6watts, which is not that loud, even though it is at high frequency.

According to another poster 1.6watts is enough, so that is what I would like to aim for, hopefully by increasing the input power to mine using a variable voltage DC mains supply.

I thought I made it clear from the start this is not about inflicting pain in some sort of clandestine attack on the neighbour's poor dog, it is about shutting the dog up from nuisance barking. So nuisance dog owners stop trolling this thread, if there was a product I could aim at the like's of you instead of your dog, I would prefer that, but there isn't. Remember, you are the real problem here.

As I have said before, the woman next door has a barky dog, but after a quiet word she takes her dog in at night and does her best to train her dog the rest of the time. The new guy on the other side, however, has the attitude, "my house, my dog, my country, so go back home if you don't like that." So I have to deal with that, if I want any peace.

So really I am looking for some technical help, for this very solvable problem.

I got my dog silencer back today. The guy used it with the mains adapter - 9v, 300mA output - but did not have any luck as the yappy dog was inside his neighbour's house.

So he had to point it through his window, through the neighbour's window and into the house. This was obviously not going to work as the instructions say you need "a clear line of sight" to affect the dog.

I will now give it another go at my neighbour's dog, pointing it straight at him, just to be sure it is still working (I dropped it a couple of times).

Remember, the first time I used it the dog stopped in mid-bark, look startled and ran to the other side of the garden. So I think the principle works, the devices work, but I don't know whether this particular machine is broken, or the dog has got used to it.

Guitar God, that went straight over my head, but will keep in filed.

JetsetBKK, that is interesting, I have a 9v 300mA DC mains charger, so will try that.

The nuisance do next door barks only a few feet from our wall, so we can get really close and zap the bugga. He did go quiet when we first started, so a little more power may do the trick.

Guitar God will correct me here as I am guessing, but HF sound in more directional and distance sensitive that lower frequencies and more easily blocked by objects, buildings etc. Because you cannot get the drive power.

This means you have to get right up him..........

I am told that dogs don't like thunder, so that is another option...a thunder box.

If you're using an adaptor other than the one that came with the device make sure the polarity is the same. There should be a diagram on the device and the adaptor showing if the center of the connector is positive or negative. If the adaptor and device aren't the same, you'll blow it up.

Higher frequencies are more directional than lower frequencies and you're not going to hear them as well as lower frequencies if you don't have a line of sight.

Some dogs are afraid of thunder but replicating that with an amp and speaker would be difficult. Most dogs don't like fireworks. Neighbors might wonder about you doing that though.

I haven't built this circut but might if I can find some tweeters.

from here http://www.talkingelectronics.com/projects/50%20-%20555%20Circuits/50%20-%20555%20Circuits.html

H-BRIDGE PUSH-PULL
DOG-BARK STOPPER
In this design the current can be 3 amps or more, depending on the supply voltage, the resistance of the load and the type of driver transistors. About 2v5 is lost between "c and e" due to the output of the 555 and the base-emitter voltage of the driver transistors. This circuit drives an ultrasonic transducer (speaker) at 20kHz to 40kHz to subdue dog barking.
If the unit is turned on by remote control every time the dog barks, the animal will soon learn to cease barking.
post-2109-0-33221400-1418797101.jpg
Look on eBay for Piezo Tweeter for about $3.00 plus $7.00 postage. The maximum frequency response will be about 30kHz.

post-2109-0-89435000-1418797114_thumb.gi

Edited by johng

That's just two 555 timers driving some Darlington power transistors. There's no modulation, just an adjustable, single frequency output. I don't think it would do as well as a circuit that modulates (varies) the frequency.

I had one where I could turn the modulation off and the dog was less effected by it than when the modulation was on.

Pretty decent power though, up to about 30 watts output. You can find piezo transducers or tweeters or horn tweeters at just about anyplace that sells audio components, Radio Shack, Conrad, E-bay, http://www.parts-express.com/cat/tweeters/17?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=INT_Canada_B&utm_group=tweeters_17_B

If you build it you'll need big heat sinks and thermal conductive gel to draw heat from the transistors.

from here http://www.talkingelectronics.com/projects/50%20-%20555%20Circuits/50%20-%20555%20Circuits.html

H-BRIDGE PUSH-PULL

DOG-BARK STOPPER

In this design the current can be 3 amps or more, depending on the supply voltage, the resistance of the load and the type of driver transistors. About 2v5 is lost between "c and e" due to the output of the 555 and the base-emitter voltage of the driver transistors. This circuit drives an ultrasonic transducer (speaker) at 20kHz to 40kHz to subdue dog barking.

If the unit is turned on by remote control every time the dog barks, the animal will soon learn to cease barking.

Look on eBay for Piezo Tweeter for about $3.00 plus $7.00 postage. The maximum frequency response will be about 30kHz.

That's just two 555 timers driving some Darlington power transistors. There's no modulation, just an adjustable, single frequency output. I don't think it would do as well as a circuit that modulates (varies) the frequency.

I had one where I could turn the modulation off and the dog was less effected by it than when the modulation was on.

Pretty decent power though, up to about 30 watts output. You can find piezo transducers or tweeters or horn tweeters at just about anyplace that sells audio components, Radio Shack, Conrad, E-bay, http://www.parts-express.com/cat/tweeters/17?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=INT_Canada_B&utm_group=tweeters_17_B

If you build it you'll need big heat sinks and thermal conductive gel to draw heat from the transistors.

I believe I have discovered a possible "cottage industry" here. smile.png

Anyone willing to build and ship to Phuket?

I'm serious - providing it works, of course.

• Like 1

H-BRIDGE PUSH-PULL

DOG-BARK STOPPER

I believe I have discovered a possible "cottage industry" here. smile.png

Anyone willing to build and ship to Phuket?

I'm serious - providing it works, of course.

Who wouldn't want one in Thailand, apart from nuisance dog owners?

30 watts seems load for the frequency, no?

H-BRIDGE PUSH-PULL

DOG-BARK STOPPER

attachicon.gifPiezoTweeter.jpg

attachicon.gifH-Bridge_Push-Pull.gif

neat website , if you know any place to buy already built ones please let us know

I like the LED turn signals and a few others

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used to like dogs until I moved to SE Asia.

Yeah, but it's not the dogs that are the problem - it's the SE Asians.

How can you not like these "wild" and free dogs?:

As opposed to this poor creature locked up every day and now too dangerous to ever let out:

If you are my neighbour and I catch you using this on my dogs I'll guarantee you will be woken real early every damn morning and it will not be from dogs barking.

It takes a real man to threaten someone via the internet. Way to go... chump.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend in Bkk has the same problem with his neighbor. He even offered to pay for the vet to cut its vocal chords but its owner refused. Yet another example of how selfish and inconsiderate dog owners can be.

They're filthy and disgusting animals anyway, eating shit just like pigs:

"The act of dogs consuming their own or other animals’ feces is known as coprophagia.... Some dogs even follow others around, waiting until they defecate so that they can eat the feces right away. Dogs have also been reported to twist their bodies around so that they can eat their own feces as they are defecating... Many dogs will also ingest human feces if given the opportunity... Dogs are notorious for eating cat feces from litter boxes."

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/coprophagia-eating-feces

And owners let their dogs lick them on the face! How disgusting! Yuck!!!

My friend in Bkk has the same problem with his neighbor. He even offered to pay for the vet to cut its vocal chords but its owner refused. Yet another example of how selfish and inconsiderate dog owners can be.

They're filthy and disgusting animals anyway, eating shit just like pigs:

"The act of dogs consuming their own or other animals’ feces is known as coprophagia.... Some dogs even follow others around, waiting until they defecate so that they can eat the feces right away. Dogs have also been reported to twist their bodies around so that they can eat their own feces as they are defecating... Many dogs will also ingest human feces if given the opportunity... Dogs are notorious for eating cat feces from litter boxes."

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/coprophagia-eating-feces

And owners let their dogs lick them on the face! How disgusting! Yuck!!!

This probably explains why Bkk's streets are reasonably clean: the dogs eat up all the crap!