I bought an old scooter with no plates now what?

OnMyWay2

OK yeah I probably goofed but I liked this scooter and it was super cheap. Bought it from a Thai person who I kind of know then realized it has no plates...

So what woulf the easiest way to drive this thing without getting hassled?

I would rather have full ownership but it might not be worth the hassle. I honestly don't even care if it's legally in the previous owners name.

Did it have a green book? You can go to the DLT & see if they can reissue plates. If it was a police repo it can never be plated & you have parts are parts. I bought a police repo but it was 2500 baht & I knew it could neber be plated or legal on the road. I only used it to take my dogs to the lake a kilo away from our house & the area is never patroled. So if it isn't a police repot & you have a green book you may be able to get it plated. If it is more than 5 years past due on taxes you will have additional hoops to go through. There are many posts on bikes without plates in the bike forum. Good luck!

Did you get a green book with the bike? If not then the bike is probably stolen. Just use it until the police stop you and take it off you. You cant insure or tax a bike with no green book, so you are riding around illegally. Just hope you dont hurt someone while your riding it cause the BIB will sting you for a lot more than you paid for a cheap bike.

Since 2 years ago they changed all the registration rules. I am not certain of a scooter but if it was a 250- 2600cc the bike would have to go throgh emision tests if it has no greenbook.

The greenbook will be most likely the deciding factor on the bike. No green book the bike will be considered junk for parts only & not useable on the road.

On my way 2 best way is to go down to the DLT with any documents you have on the bike or the vin numbers on the frame Near regents school in Pattaya & have them run the numbers if you don't have the book. Chances are though if it does not have anything you bought a parts bike. Do not take the bike down till they say it has a clean bill of health. They have repo'd bikes with bad platework at the DLT here in Pattaya before & they won't hesitate to take your down to the local impound & you will lose the ride entirely.

It might be a stolen bike....I think it would be nice to try and reacquaint it with it's true owner, I'm sure we all would like that if our bike was stolen. and your life would benefit greatly from such an act.......Good Karma. We can choose whether we want to bring good Karma or bad Karma into our lives by the decisions we make.

Edited by dotpoom
  • Like 1

Hah guys it's not stolen. I have the green book. I bought it off the security guard at our condo he's there every day not going anywhere so pretty sure he's not trying to cheat me.

I just need to know how to get it plated.

1. You have the green book in your possession.

OR

2. You also have the green-book in your name?

You will need #2.

OnMyWay2, you will need;

1. A photocopy of the Thai ID of the current owner which is same as the one stated in the green book.

2. Authorization Form from the Internet or DLT for the owner stated in the green book to authorize you/someone to act on behalf.

3. Fill in another form "Request Form" to request a replacement number plate. (you will get same number)

4. At the same time, might as well change the ownership while you are at land transport department by adding another form which is change of ownership form.

You will also need the owner signatures on 1,2 & 4 as stated above.

By the way, is the tax on the scooter up to date/active? If not paid for longer than 3 years, you will need to back pay the tax it owe and have to re-register again get a new number plate.

Where about are you located?

• Like 1

OnMyWay2, you will need;

1. A photocopy of the Thai ID of the current owner which is same as the one stated in the green book.

2. Authorization Form from the Internet or DLT for the owner stated in the green book to authorize you/someone to act on behalf.

3. Fill in another form "Request Form" to request a replacement number plate. (you will get same number)

4. At the same time, might as well change the ownership while you are at land transport department by adding another form which is change of ownership form.

You will also need the owner signatures on 1,2 & 4 as stated above.

By the way, is the tax on the scooter up to date/active? If not paid for longer than 3 years, you will need to back pay the tax it owe and have to re-register again get a new number plate.

Where about are you located?

Thanks I'm in Pattaya. You wouldn't happen to have the link to the online forms I need would you?

Also I have no idea about the paid taxes or validity of the green book any way to find out?

• Like 1

What's the Tax sticker on the bike said? Should have the Thai year, 2557 or something. Another way to find out is thru the green book. Near the last few pages of the green book, it should have the records of the tax that been paid. If can, take a photo and upload to here.. then I can tell you if its up to date etc

Edited by Motorcar

http://m.imgur.com/gqRIMAU

http://m.imgur.com/dmL5qmr

Here are the last few pages of the green book. Looks like something was paid but hard to say for how long. The bike is a 97 honda.

Look like your last paid tax of the bike is about 8 years ago according to the book year (2549), now is (2557) =2014. Can you also take a pic of the last printed page/current owner details at the front? By the way, does the bike have any tax sticker on it? The thing is, not sure if the book been up to date or not... Edited by Motorcar

The chassis number on the book is the one under the word "SMILE", something like HT110-001040, cant read clearly what the front two alphabet from the photo. Registered owner is in Chonburi. Normally, the chassis number on the bike is behind the very front plastic cover, most time can see it if you look from underneath where the front fork is.

Edited by Motorcar

Thanks man you've been helpful. The seller mentioned that I need to

take the green book to Chonburi to get the plates but he doesn't speak English so communicating has been difficult.

I'm gonna ask him to sign those 2 forms you gave me and will head out to Chonburi to see what they have to say. Thanks a lot.

You are welcome. Don't forget a photocopy of his ID and got him to sign it too... Owner name and ID numbers should also match the book on the last photo, lower/2nd page at top left corner... if all goes good, you will need to back pay the last 8-9 years of tax and small fines. All up should be around ฿3000 including change of ownership, plate etc etc.

You will also need to take have a residency certificate from immigration @ Jomtien, (or work/education permit), & copy of passport pages to change book to your name.

For res/cert need proof of address (i.e., rent contract, utility bill), head photos, copy of passport pages, ~300baht.

It may be more convenient to use the land transport office near Reagents school rather than drive clear to Chonburi office.

Most convenient would be to use an agent in town.

That could save a lot of time & effort.

The shop slightly north of Father Ray's orphanage on Sukumvit can do it, including the needed emissions/safety check.

I recommend this unless you are up for adventure.

PM me if you're still confused.

How about a photo of the bike of interest?

Edited by papa al
  • Like 1