Prayut orders all government facilities to have access for wheelchair people

Lite Beer

"Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said he has instructed all government facilities to be accessible to the handicapped and those who require supporting equipment."

Obviously the streets aren't considered to be a government facility. Once you depart from the bus or leave the building, you are on your own.

attachicon.gifBlockedSidewalk-449x304.jpg

While visiting the Thai Silk Fair in Khon Kaen the other day, I also took a look around the town. Taking your life in your hands is an under statement. One road was so up and down with the different levels outside each shop making it a major hazzard, along with the overhanging sun blinds which will have your eye out. Wheelchairs? Not a chance in hell!

Addition to last post. I give the good General a challenge, Get yourself into a wheelchair for a day in any city and see how difficult it is to get about, neverr mind entry and exit of government buildings.

"Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said he has instructed all government facilities to be accessible to the handicapped and those who require supporting equipment."

Obviously the streets aren't considered to be a government facility. Once you depart from the bus or leave the building, you are on your own.

attachicon.gifBlockedSidewalk-449x304.jpg

Swampy has fantastic disabled services but once you walkout the airport doors you are pretty much screwed.

Unfortunate use of words there.

• Like 2

Ladies in high heels and short skirts!

Well glad to see he's got his priorities right.

Maybe they need an attitude adjustment like those girls in bikinis.

Well as usual you are confused but your heart was in the right place.

Priorities are listed first not as an after thought.facepalm.gif

Indeed they are a strange item to appear with the other items. w00t.gif

Addition to last post. I give the good General a challenge, Get yourself into a wheelchair for a day in any city and see how difficult it is to get about, neverr mind entry and exit of government buildings.

Strange post from some one who has been around Thailand as long as you have. When has any problem ever been settled all at once in Thailand. It is only a beginning. I was living in Vancouver Canada in the early 70s and that was when they started looking into the streets for the handicapped. Even at that it was not a project taken on by the whole province. It took time.

The road to hell, they say, is paved with good intentions - but at least under the current Prime Minister the road is getting ramps for wheelchairs.

Thailand's transitional Prime Minister reminds one of an earlier, English puritan who sought to stamp out endemic corruption and immorality from his beloved country.

One can only wish General Prayuth more luck than Oliver Cromwell, who died a hero but who later became so reviled that his body was later dug up, beheaded and the remains hung in chains.

Don't agree with you ( which is my democratic right), but appreciate the history lesson. I did not know that.

I will not throw sh*t at you or burn effigies of you or give out your name and address like some that purport to respect democracy.

Nice post mate.

A terrific "happiness" announcement by the PM. But when will it all happen? Any timetable THAT WILL BE ENFORCED?

As other posters have stated - what about the roads and footpaths? How will those in wheelchairs negotiate those obstacles to get to a Government building with wheelchair access? coffee1.gif

A positive step forward to help the handicapped and all you can come with is an inane, anti-Prayuth comment. bah.gif.pagespeed.ce.-cCHYEZ1LoERDvI-NyM

Oh! I see that was you first post. Congratulations. What did you get banned for last time? Excessive use of the word 'inane' or tediously repetitive insertions of stupid little pictures at the end of each post?

Do you resent the poster, or the comment he made ?

• Like 2

Yes all you folks praising our Military leader for a pronouncement. Will it happen? my arse it will, just another "happy" pronouncement that will certainly come to nothing just like all the others. And YES I am BLOODY WELL disabled, reliant on getting around in a wheelchair. It's almost impossible, stairs , kerbs, obstacles everywhere. I know of just a couple of Government buildings that have ramps, do I expect that any monies will be allocated to improve my lot and those like me? None of us disabled are holding our breath.

You can thank the junta for making it safer for you to venture outside now, a lot less chance of being a victim of a redshirt bullet or grenade.

That's got to be a plus.

Yes all you folks praising our Military leader for a pronouncement. Will it happen? my arse it will, just another "happy" pronouncement that will certainly come to nothing just like all the others. And YES I am BLOODY WELL disabled, reliant on getting around in a wheelchair. It's almost impossible, stairs , kerbs, obstacles everywhere. I know of just a couple of Government buildings that have ramps, do I expect that any monies will be allocated to improve my lot and those like me? None of us disabled are holding our breath.

You can thank the junta for making it safer for you to venture outside now, a lot less chance of being a victim of a redshirt bullet or grenade.

That's got to be a plus.

Yes, because previously 99% of people in Thailand were too terrified to venture outside. The factories and shops were closed, utilities cut off, planes had to avoid Thai airspace, food was running out, all because of those pesky redshirts.

What absolute flapdoodle.

Thai public restrooms will need handicapped stalls, rails, paper, soap and most of all doorways so that the handicapped wheelchair accessible can actually get in the restroom. According to the general's order for example. Times Square, next to the Sheraton Sukhumvit will need a wheelchair ramp to the building, new restrooms, and elevators, Emporium will need new restroom door access, bigger eleavtors, handicapped stalls in the restrooms, and lots of wheelchai ramps. So as the general says, they can get to 'everything" they need. The general has thought through his proclamation very carefully.

That's got to be a plus.

Yes, because previously 99% of people in Thailand were too terrified to venture outside. The factories and shops were closed, utilities cut off, planes had to avoid Thai airspace, food was running out, all because of those pesky redshirts.

What absolute flapdoodle.

Pity 99% of the people didn't stay inside during that time, the people who were murdered by the terrorists would probably still be alive today.

I wonder if the families of those people who were killed refer to the killers as "pesky redshirts". ???????

Although Thailand has a reputation for 'unfriendly' pavements for wheelchair users, that's not the case in some surprising locations.

About 5 or 6 years ago, I did a survey of wheelchair access to the beer and gogo bars in Bangla Road, (Patong walking street). I tested access using an adult wheelchair and then summarised my findings on the Tourist Police website.

Surprisingly, most bars could be accessed for those in a wheelchair, assuming that the sois were not too crowded. The exception was Soi Sea Dragon, (ladyboy soi), where the access ramp was too steep to use safely in a wheelchair. But even there, I summised that a wheelchair user could always ask to be 'manhandled' by the ladyboys :)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

" A society is judged by the way it treats its weakest members!"

So well done to the government to address this issue!!

Nobody is addressing the issue, the Dictator is just making another speech which will amount to nothing - its probably an off the cuff remark because Stephen Hawking is planning a visit.

" A society is judged by the way it treats its weakest members!"

So well done to the government to address this issue!!

Addressing is one thing. Getting blood from a rock is another.

Even without the corruption, the simplest modifications to the buildings and infrastructure would be cause considerable obstruction to the already chaotic flow of things.

I'm not saying it's bad, but I am saying that you can't get blood from a rock, despite the intentions: good or bad.