Buying a Second Hand car. How is ownership transferred

Robroona

I am buying a car from my friend, another foreigner. I haven't a clue what the procedure is for transferring it to my name.

Here is what I have heard so far.

1. Get residence certificate from immigration.

2. Turn up early at Licensing Office

3. Bring passport with visa

4. Bring money for purchase.

That's all, sorry for taking so long

My questions are as follows.

Do I need any more documents such as passport photos, photocopies of passport, or anything else I need?

Does the car get inspected and are the relevant car documents scrutinised?

The car has 1st class insurance for a few months yet. Do I need to transfer that to my name immediately or inform the insurance company, or what? Or is it cancelled and I start a new policy? Sure would hate to drive it without it being properly covered.

Thanks in advance, first time of doing this

• Like 2

When you complete the transaction with your friend you should then have the car ownership book (I think it's blue). You need to take this together with your passport, tabien baan/residence certificate, some money to pay the transfer fee and, of course the car, to the car tax office. Make sure the car chassis number can be read because they will need to check this. On my car it was underneath and covered with mud so I had to go and get it cleaned. You may also be required to show the weight of the vehicle with a weigh bridge receipt but this is normally only if it has been modified. Once all this is done you just join the que and relax for an hour or so.

First of all, before can answer you in future details, who's name the current car ownership it is under? Your friend's name, a Thai person, a car finance company or third party person. If you not sure, do take a photo of the blue book where the current ownership is then I can tell you.

the seller needs to bring the blue book. The seller needs to get the car checked, ie they just check that the engine no is in line with the blue book. Once the seller has done that you fill in the form for the transfer, submit it with your documents. You will have to pay a fee/tax for the trx. That's it. The buyer then can pick up the blue book after 2-3 days.

Insurance is a separate process. The seller needs to inform his insurance about the transfer of ownership. Usually there is some paperwork involved but this is up to the insurance. Just go their office once the ownership has been transferred and get it done.

When I did this a year or 2 back in Pattaya the ladies at the copy shop/restaurant across from the Tax/Registration office did everything. So if you are in Pattaya by any chance it is easy. Possibly other places have a similar arrangement. They even go into the office for you leaving you free to have some food and a beer.