Swedish found hanged in deserted building

Lite Beer

He (Nattawut) paid a 100-baht service fee to a security guard to get access to the building.

Did the Swedish guy pay a fee? Did the security guard not notice he did not ever come down. Climbing 43 floors (no elevator) seems like a lot of work to commit suicide. As for hanging, it is a slow death if you don't break your neck in the process. This is one of the strangest suicides I've read about. In any case, condolences to the family and friends and RIP, Swedish guy.

p.s. I just read the updated version. Why didn't the photographer, who had a camera with him, take a photo to prove his story?

Oh contraire!... Hanging is a very fast and painless death regardless of what you stated. Soon as the blood is stopped to the brain the person is unconscious and knows no more. Many have accomplished the act sitting on the floor with the noose tied to a door knob. ( As for hanging, it is a slow death if you don't break your neck in the process) w00t.gif

If the neck isn't broken, hanging involves a lot of kicking and thrashing about, loss of control of excretory functions, tongue distention, etc. before consciousness is lost. Even the guillotine wasn't instant death as one doctor experimented with recently severed heads and in many cases received recognizable responses. The brain can live for quite some time after blood (oxygen) is stopped and the muscles can perform anaerobically also.

Another one found dead.

R.I.P. whatever the cause, hanging or suicide. Neither of which is a pleasant way to die.

How do you know?

Have you died previously this way?

Do I need to have died this way previously to understand it is a very unpleasant way to die?

What a pathetic comment ND.

Do I have to eat hot chilli to know they are hot, or travel at the speed of light to know that is pretty damn fast?

Engage your brain a little more ND

Your differentiating between two things with the same result DEATH is what is so questionable in your post. whatever the cause, hanging or suicide. Neither of which is a pleasant way to die.cheesy.gif clap2.gif bah.gif

Another one found dead.

R.I.P. whatever the cause, hanging or suicide. Neither of which is a pleasant way to die.

How do you know?

Have you died previously this way?

Do I need to have died this way previously to understand it is a very unpleasant way to die?

What a pathetic comment ND.

Do I have to eat hot chilli to know they are hot, or travel at the speed of light to know that is pretty damn fast?

Engage your brain a little more ND

Ok, people keep having a go, I will respond.

There's literally thousands of ways to die. Hanging is a lot quicker and more pleasant way to go than say burning to death and probably a lot nicer than having a brain tumor and slowly dying with all the respective treatment that goes on.

When someone hangs they either a.) break their neck and loose consciousness instantly or in the case where the neck isn't broken b.) loose consciousness within a few minutes after the hanging commences.

Once the person looses consciousness, the evidence (& I've seen it been given in court) suggests the person feels nothing. I'm not saying that wouldn't be unpleasant, but it's far from the worst scenario that springs to mind.

So on the grand scale of things, if you've got to go, it sure beats been entrapped in a car and slowly dying in agony whilst your rescuers try and cut you from the wreck. It beats being stung to death by hornets or dying slowly with cancer.

Do you get it?

Everyone has to die at some point, when id go, I'd rather the option of a couple of minutes of pain as opposed to months of it.....that's for sure.

Anyway, flame away and try and engage your brain before responding again.

Soon as the blood to the brain is stopped the unconsciousness begins. It only takes seconds. NOTloose consciousness within a few minutes after the hanging commences.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Farang with a box of rice?

why would he bring one; looks like staged in a very Asian way

Did you possibly consider that he'd fallen on hard times and was living in the building, just because he had credit cards doesn't mean he had money available. Yet another conspiracy theorist who always thinks there's more than meets the eye.

So far many posters have the age wrong and now you having not read the news article looking at a homeless angle when the article states he had not returned to his room and it was re let.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The 43rd floor is a long climb to do yourself in

The lower floors would have been just as suitable

RIP man

Did you consider that maybe he'd fallen on hard times and was living there? Less chance of being discovered by security if you're hiding on the upper floors.

Read the news article again as you are a way of base with the living there comment.

He (Nattawut) paid a 100-baht service fee to a security guard to get access to the building.

Did the Swedish guy pay a fee? Did the security guard not notice he did not ever come down. Climbing 43 floors (no elevator) seems like a lot of work to commit suicide. As for hanging, it is a slow death if you don't break your neck in the process. This is one of the strangest suicides I've read about. In any case, condolences to the family and friends and RIP, Swedish guy.

p.s. I just read the updated version. Why didn't the photographer, who had a camera with him, take a photo to prove his story?

Oh contraire!... Hanging is a very fast and painless death regardless of what you stated. Soon as the blood is stopped to the brain the person is unconscious and knows no more. Many have accomplished the act sitting on the floor with the noose tied to a door knob. ( As for hanging, it is a slow death if you don't break your neck in the process) w00t.gif

If the neck isn't broken, hanging involves a lot of kicking and thrashing about, loss of control of excretory functions, tongue distention, etc. before consciousness is lost. Even the guillotine wasn't instant death as one doctor experimented with recently severed heads and in many cases received recognizable responses. The brain can live for quite some time after blood (oxygen) is stopped and the muscles can perform anaerobically also.

If you believe that then try a little test...Press on the arteries under your ears for a few seconds and see how quick your on your way to Nirvana

If you believe that then try a little test...Press on the arteries under your ears for a few seconds and see how quick your on your way to Nirvana

I do not disagree with Spastastic muscle responses but the victim won't know it. Its the chicken with the head cut off running around syndrome Apples/ Oranges.

It took a man who filmed his hanging 13 seconds to become unconscious, 1 minute and 38 seconds to lose muscle tone, and 4 minutes and 10 seconds for muscle movement to cease.[19][20] Full suspension is not required; most hanging suicides are done by partial suspension, according to Wyatt et al.[21] Geo Stone, author of Suicide and Attempted Suicide: Methods and Consequences, suggests that death by obstruction of the airway is more painful than by the other ways

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_by_hanging

• Like 1

Another report of a 71 year old Thai man hanging himself from a railway bridge.

So sad, young or old, when death seems preferable to life, the hopelessness that would bring such a thing about must be a terrible way to feel.

If those who died believed in a better place I hope they have found it.

I know this is bit off topic but I was going to invest a substantial amount in LOS next year, but I'm sad to say I'm now as a business man looking at taking it elsewhere.... very sad indeed but " it is what it is"

I know a few lads from Mubuntu, a tax haven, who would gladly relieve you of your distress, and invest it for you, on your behalf. If you are interested, then please transfer the monies to my account, then I'll take it from there. I'll send you the details in a PM. Glad to be of help.

Edited by CharlieH

It would be good to know the facts before jumping to conclusions!

Why floor 43? Was the love of his life a bargirl who wore a '43' tag? Or is it 4+3 = 7? There is no end to speculation is there!

What a highly insensitive, inappropriate, stupid thing to say about the deceased. Not all visitors to Thailand are whoremongers.

You must be a bit simple. If you read the first sentence then the second, it's in context!

Edited by BSJ

It's amazing that they don't level the building as it's almost 20 yrs.

Rip to this chap.

Who is 'they' ?

Demolishing a building of that size takes serious money and zero profit or it would have been done a long time ago

Ok, I'll elaborate. I'm just assuming here as it could be many different outfits, such as:

Trustee that took over the bankrupt co/property, as they may have got it for pennies on the dollar if that. Sold the property to another co that would have some sort of deal in place to share demo costs then possibly rebuild whatever they like. City take it over and sell it to the highest bidder (local/foreign). Any would be possible imho.

Rip to this chap.

Who is 'they' ?

Demolishing a building of that size takes serious money and zero profit or it would have been done a long time ago

Ok, I'll elaborate. I'm just assuming here as it could be many different outfits, such as:

Trustee that took over the bankrupt co/property, as they may have got it for pennies on the dollar if that. Sold the property to another co that would have some sort of deal in place to share demo costs then possibly rebuild whatever they like. City take it over and sell it to the highest bidder (local/foreign). Any would be possible imho.

I thought the son of the original owner still had ownership and was trying to sell it on.

With no luck.

Is that not correct then?

'Ghost Tower'?

Land owners are fracked, it'll never sell unless they allow foreigners to buy the land....

-

So a 24 year old man from Sweden comes all the way to Thailand, rents a room and after 2 or 3 weeks goes to some place most long term expats don't even know about to climb 40-odd flights of stairs to kill himself? In a place that a local goes to pay a bribe to get in for whatever reason, yet this 24 year old in Thailand for just a few weeks or less chooses to go there, gets in, and with just credit cards but no cash reported in his pockets....

Nevermind the inability for it to be reported and initially dealt with....

There's almost nothing about this story that isn't odd.

Poor guy.

More hysterical nonsense - this building DOMINATES the whole area !

How can you not know about this place ? The 'long term expats' probably don't know about it as they rarely venture from their bar stool !

Can I just issue a small statement that may help the Mrs Marples out there - when 99.9% of people commit suicide, they are not thinking straight, they are depressed, they are not rational - so you trying to second guess what an irrational person is up to is just making you look stupid !

Do yourselves, and everyone else a favour and bore people elsewhere, though you've probably been banned from the local for boring the shit out of the regulars ?!

Wow how obnoxious are you?

Just because one building in the vast sprawling city of BKK dominates the skyline in one particular area doesn't mean anyone who hasn't heard of it only goes to bar areas. I would say my post was not second guessing anything, merely observing what the news is apparently saying and my only real comment was that everything was odd. Thus, neither was i playing Miss Marple.

Since you are clearly the hysterical one, with all your insults, and your utter hypocrisy in being irrational and "second guessing" other people's lifestyles I would suggest you calm down before you embarrass yourself further.

they don't get more hysterical than that - however I was merely trying to educate you, however as the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water .....

No you were not "merely" trying to educate, what a bared-faced lie! You barged in arms swinging to bash perceived bugbears (Miss Marple etc.) with insults and conjecture about people's lives (that I spend my time in bars and people avoid me for being bore). That is not trying to educate people, it's unhinged aggressive and abusive behaviour based on no evidence other than a knee-jerk reaction to not having comprehended properly.

Next time you "merely" educate someone I suggest you try it on someone less than your own size, you'll have more success in the playground and won't be forced to openly lie in front of everyone just to try to wriggle out of taking responsibility for your own behaviour.

Someone would make serious money being paid to knock that building down. Demolition is a money maker.

But again - who would pay them ? It was built with private money so the same private money would have to pull it down = enormous loss! The guy has cut and run and halved his potential loss. I would only envisage a major hotel chain doing a deal with the government to say you pay for it to be knocked down and we'll replace the eye-sore but if that was a runner it would have been done by now.

I have no idea who would pay for it. I mearly stated that knocking a building down would earn someone a lot of money.

Rip to this chap.

Who is 'they' ?

I thought the son of the original owner still had ownership and was trying to sell it on.

With no luck.

You probably know more about this actual story than I do, as my assumption was just a generalization.

Rip to this chap.

Who is 'they' ?

With no luck.

You probably know more about this actual story than I do, as my assumption was just a generalization.

Your generalization was just speculation rather, right?

This is a weird story. Why would someone climb 43 floors to hang himself, in addition to the difficulties to get in?

That's probably the last thing on a suicidal person's mind, but: he made it much more difficult for others to get in and for the owner to sell it.

It's not that easy to get in, just pay 200/100 Baht at security (double pricing, even here!). I managed to get in April 2013, via the park house next to it and the makeshift bridge, with the help of a homeless person dwelling in the park house (technically a trespasser, same like me, but at least he lives there, I paid 300). In 2011-2013, I made several attempts to get in via the main entrance, with help of a Thai friend to translate, but either the gate was locked or I could just get up to about 3rd floor (locked door on the stairway up), after tipping a homeless person on the premises 100 Baht.

It cost me a lot of money (400 Baht plus travel expenses) and time to get in, and I speak Thai (nobody there speaks English), I find it hard to believe that the deceased just walks by, pays, climbs up and doesn't come down.

When I am in the area I will have a look if fence and gate look different than last time I went there.