Swedish found hanged in deserted building

Lite Beer

it should of been boarded up with cctv and Alarmed.

That, strange as it may seem, costs money, and the owners of these skeletons have no intention of pouring good money after bad. Until the BMA orders demolition, they will remain blights on the landscape.

• Like 1

but as owners they have a responsibity Ratcatcher. its sad to say this young lad would of killed himself anywhere but to do it in a this building where there was a security guard on "duty" is very sad. and to board up the entrance at least wouldnt be that expensive. You think i dont know it would cost money? by your strange as it seems comment.

I highly doubt anyone would walk willingly up 43 flights of stairs to be executed. I mean, if someone was going to force me into an abandoned tower, I would be kicking, scratching, screaming, the whole way up.

I can't imagine any Thai carrying a farang up 43 flights of stairs to stage a suicide either.

I would call this one what it is...

If I were to commit suicide by hanging I wouldn't climb to the 43rd floor.

The 3rd or 4th would do fine

• Like 1

R.I.P.

Tried in vain to contact the police? What? They were engaged? Didn't pick up the phone? Out for dinner? huh.png

Maybe he tried to call 911 instead of 191.

Mind you, I rang 191 once, it was pretty much a waste of time as the Police didn't do anything and returned my call the following day to ask if the incident was still occurring. <deleted> ?

They clearly followed up on the case , not ?whistling.gif

but as owners they have a responsibity Ratcatcher. its sad to say this young lad would of killed himself anywhere but to do it in a this building where there was a security guard on "duty" is very sad. and to board up the entrance at least wouldnt be that expensive. You think i dont know it would cost money? by your strange as it seems comment.

Sorry Dave, but in 2014 Thailand, the owners of these dumps have neither responsibility, accountability or liability. They have basically washed their hands of the dump and I doubt very much whether anything as gross as that building will ever see occupation or a sale. It looks like a drug dealers stale wedding cake.

why don't you try both and report back. 1st hand info is always valued.... Oh, I this was the smartass comment thread.

Another one found dead.
R.I.P. whatever the cause, hanging or suicide. Neither of which is a pleasant way to die.

How do you know?

Have you died previously this way?

The guy who found the body tried in vain to contact the police?

He posted a message on a website seeking help from other posters?

What am I missing here?

Bloody sad way to go .

I wondered about that too - did he not simply phone them or ask the security guard to contact them

Why did he need to pay the security guard to enter the building

all sounds a bit odd to me

Swedish backpacker found hanged in deserted building identified

12-6-2014-2-35-38-PM1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Swedish backpacker was found hanged inside a deserted high-rise building in Bangkok’s Sathorn district on Friday evening.
Forensic police said the man, aged in his thirties, has died for at least a week before.

Suicide was first believed to be the cause.

Police later identified the tourist as Mr Stig Johan Kristian Hammarsten, 30.

He was found hanged to a beam at an bandoned construction site by a photographer who had sneaked past the guard into the building which is famous for its spectacular sunrise view over the Chao Phraya River in Bangkok.

But it took a while before people believed the photographer’s story.

The photographer, Natthawat, also chef at a hotelrestaurant, rang the traffic radio station, Jor Sor 100, which alerted Yannawa police to inspect the scene.

He said he found the body in the 49-storey Sathorn Unique Tower building, on Chaoroenkrung Soi 51 off Charoenkrung Road while going up there to take photos as part of his hobby of photographing bird-eye’s views of the capital.

The building was deserted for over a decade during the major financial crisis.

He told the station he paid 100 baht as fee to the building guard while foreigners would be charged 300 baht.

However, he earlier posted on Pantip.com web board admitting that he slipped through the deck via back stairs without seeking guard permission.

In the post, he said he had been to the building several times for photographing because it is one of the best location to take panoramic view of the capital by the river.

He told JS 100 station that after taking photos on the roof-deck of the 49-storey building at about 11 am on Friday, he went down and smelt bad ordour coming out a bathroom on the 43rd floor. When he came in, he found the body hanging on a beam.

Shocked by the grisly encounter, he tried in vain to contact police. But he said he told what he found to concerned authorities which included 191, 199, 193 and even charity foundations but none of them paid much attention to his story.

He said he also walked up to a traffic police before boarding a sky train back home.

The officer just recommended what he should do but said he could not do much because it was not his area of responsibility.

He then returned home and felt very uncomfortably about what he found and whether any authority would trust him and check the building.

In the post on the leading website, he said he felt as if something was trying to push him to go back to the place which he said he didn’t know what it was.

He said he couldn’t sleep and therefore decided to post on the Pantip web board telling the whole story.

At first many posters didn’t trust what he posted saying he was making a story. But some recommended him to call JS 100.

The station later alerted Por Teck Tueng Foundation rescue workers who went to the building with the police at 7 p.m.

However they didn’t go up waiting for him to arrive and guide them to the place.

He said it was until 10.30 pm Friday night that he arrived and led them up and found the body.

A wooden stair, a rice box and an empty can of beer were found near his body. A black wallet containing a driving licence issued by Swedish authorities and two credit cards was found in his jeans.

Immigration documents showed he arrived at Suvarnabhumi airport on November 10 and stayed at a guest house on Khao Sarn road.

But he went missing from his rented room since November 20 and the guest house has open the room for other customer to rent.

Yannawa police superintendent Pol Lt-Col Sanchai Matkamcan said preliminary examination indicated the Swedish backpacker committed suicide.

Police said they would contact relatives of the Swedish victim whose name was on the driving licence. His body was sent to Police General Hospital for autopsy.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/swedish-backpacker-found-hanged-deserted-building-identified

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-06

RIP.

sorry, cant help it

did the Swedish guy had to pay the security the service fee too for access to the building, like the thai guy did?

just seem weird that one would go to hand himself on the 43rd floor. ( maybe got tired on the way up?) vs. the easier base jumping without parachute.

so, ok, I am guilty if you call this conspiracy, but the story isn't straight, including the photo guy's story and advice to call traffic radio station from the website.

Died a week before but the guard took 100 baht so he could gain access. Guard not curious what happened to him?

It's amazing that they don't level the building as it's almost 20 yrs.

I wonder if this was the building that all those dumb kids, mainly foreigners, want to go up. Damn Ritalin generation. Not meant as comical.

Rip to this chap.

Suicide, case closed....again!

Take your insensitive comment and stuff it!!

Sorry if you took it to be insensitive, wasn't meant to be.

But we have been down this road multiple time of farangs 'apparently' hanging, shooting, overdosing, jumping from balconies you name it, all of them judged to be suicides by police.

This may, or may not have been a true suicide which is always tragic, but I fear we may never know the real truth.

Again, sorry if it appeared insensitive, certainly that was far from my intention

"But we have been down this road multiple time of farangs 'apparently' hanging, shooting, overdosing, jumping from balconies you name it, all of them judged to be suicides by police."

All of them? Where does it say the police said it was suicide in this report? How about the many cases where the person jumping or falling survives or those whose attempt to jump is witnessed? That sort of slows down the TV speculators since they can't concoct some fantasy. And the many cases where the police launch a search for people considered suspicious?

Probably some murders are written off as suicides (in Thailand and back in farangland), but the Thai Visa Crime Scene Investigators seem to get unduly excited about any farang death without any first-hand knowledge of the case other than sketchy news reports.

It serves no purpose other than turning someone's death into a gossip topic without facts. I feel sorry for this guy and especially for every elderly farang who dies at home in places like Pattaya when their deaths are reported here and posters turn the event into a circus of unwarranted speculation. As I've said before, when I die I sure hope Thai Visa doesn't report it just to provoke all the tin-foil hat conspiracy theorists.

Most of these English language reports seem so poorly written or translated that making any call based on them is dubious and what the "reporters" write probably has only the most tenuous relation to what the police have said or are doing.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1