Swedish tourist's death puts spotlight on access to Bangkok 'ghost tower'

webfact

Anyone can get in there. They do have security who seem to be running quite a good business. We stopped for a look about 12 months ago and there was quite a few people in there. I think the admission fee was 100 baht for thais. Don't know the farang price we didn't go in as my wife is scared of ghosts.

Another racist dual pricing case in Thailand. No way I would ever enter that place on this basis alone.

No You are wrong, it is not Racist pricing, it depends if you pay taxes in the country or not. If you have a valid work permit so you pay tax here you only need to pay "Thai" prices.

Has noting to do with your race.

It's not a price to enter. It's a bribe to the guard

• Like 2

Anyone can get in there. They do have security who seem to be running quite a good business. We stopped for a look about 12 months ago and there was quite a few people in there. I think the admission fee was 100 baht for thais. Don't know the farang price we didn't go in as my wife is scared of ghosts.

Another racist dual pricing case in Thailand. No way I would ever enter that place on this basis alone.

No You are wrong, it is not Racist pricing, it depends if you pay taxes in the country or not. If you have a valid work permit so you pay tax here you only need to pay "Thai" prices.

I'm retired, and with driving licences and Yellow book, I haven't paid the Farang price yet. Missus always goes to payment area, not me.
This place isn't a tourist attraction, zoo or National park. It doesn't have a customer service or admission desk. No souvenirs or refreshments being sold. It is a condemned building being patrolled by security staff who are suppose to keep people out for thier safety.

Have security or thier employers registered this tour business or paying taxes on the revenue they are collecting? I doubt it very much and I guess they saw an opportunity to make some quick tax free money. If they were doing the job they are being paid for people may not die.

Saying such things like if you have a home book, driver licence or work permit to get into this building for the same price as thais is just silly. No one should be getting in. Paying double price to be scammed Geez.

• Like 2

Alright.... who here looked at the picture and scrolled up and down with their mouse

Me, for one! It looks pretty much a standard Thai style & design to me. I would agree that they would have a hard job selling space in it now if they decided to finish it, given it's recent history & haunting rumors. I think personally it only looks real bad because it is not finished. Lots of ornate balconies. If it had continued to completion it would have looked no different or worse than many other high rise of the same general style & probably turned out quite well. Assuming they had followed good design & features criteria, which we will probably never know.

For years after the '87 crash there were uncompleted buildings & holes in the ground all over Sydney. I remember travelling around by train & sky-train in the early-mid '90s & counting them. There was a lot in Sydney & a number in Auckland and other cities all over the world. Financial crashes always take their toll on 1/2 completed building projects unless they are very well planned, funded & underwritten.

There are several half-completed derelicts in BKK visible from the sky train. Not to mention the pillars from that half completed elevated road out to past Don Muang - Rangsit..

So why do I get charged double price even when I have a copy of my work permit on me.
If you pay double price to get into a condemned building that you are not allowed in then more fool you.

Now the Bangkok government is saying they will consider having the place fenced off to prevent people entering. Is the guy really that much of a numbnut? The place is fenced off and has security but for a fee you can enter

If you look closely at the building, you will note that this is in fact the little sister of the Silom Precious, AKA RCA tower, AKA State Tower. In fact the same architect designed the building.

I believe he was forced to sell off the State tower, which might be the reason that one actually got finished.

The Sathorn Unique remains unfinished, even though the location should be more than viable to complete it, just as quite a few skyscrapers have been completed that have stood unused for years (such as the Central World Tower, the Pratunam Center and the Millenium Hilton on the Thonburi side).

Edited by sjaak327

I don't belive his name was Styk Yohanne Kristian. No way any person in Sweden have a name like that

"Styk Yohanne Kristian"

More likely "Stig Johan Kristian". And only one of them is his given name.

Other news sources has his name as Stig Johan Kristian Hammarsten.

Sophon

"Security guards hired by owners reportedly demand and pocket Bt100 from Thais and Bt200 from foreigners wishing to enter the building."

Blimey, even a derelict building has dual pricing; whatever next.

I wonder if he would let me in for 100 B if I showed him my Thai DL???coffee1.gif

Why anyone would want to traipse to the top of the smelly and unsafe Sathorn Unique Tower is beyond me. Walk around the corner to the Lebua State Tower and say you're going to the Sky Bar for drinks and up you go in a high-speed lift for free. Take your photos with far superior vistas and come back down without having to buy a drink or indeed stop for drinks, albeit quite expensive, and enjoy the view some more.

Here we go again... Bt100 for Thais, Bt200 for foreigners. The double-pricing scheme is alive and well, even at scum level. A poster here said that those with valid work permits and pay taxes in Thailand pay 'Thai rate'. Correct. But try showing a copy of your work permit to the security guard at TAT's 'latest attraction' cheesy.gif

Yes, I believe Sathorn Unique Tower will soon be on TAT brochures. 'A Unique Experience in Sathorn: Haunted in Broad Daylight Tour'. I shudder to think how much foreigner entrance fee will be then.

Here we go again... Bt100 for Thais, Bt200 for foreigners. The double-pricing scheme is alive and well, even at scum level. A poster here said that those with valid work permits and pay taxes in Thailand pay 'Thai rate'. Correct. But try showing a copy of your work permit to the security guard at TAT's 'latest attraction' cheesy.gif

Yes, I believe Sathorn Unique Tower will soon be on TAT brochures. 'A Unique Experience in Sathorn: Haunted in Broad Daylight Tour'. I shudder to think how much foreigner entrance fee will be then.

Have dual pricing in Melbourne Australia. Just been into a store called "Something Aussie" it is owned and staffed by Thais selling an array of uniquely Aussie goods. My wanted some placenta creams to take back to Thailand. Thai's get a 30% discount and everyone else pays shelf price.
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

so why they keep the tower? or why not finish it ?

Yes finaly somone ask the right question

If Thailand is not rich enough to put the money in advance ,any bank would lend it...the owner will pay the bill later...and the rate...when the land estimate become the same as the bill ,the state take it

Edited by jerome2

Have dual pricing in Melbourne Australia. Just been into a store called "Something Aussie" it is owned and staffed by Thais selling an array of uniquely Aussie goods. My wanted some placenta creams to take back to Thailand. Thai's get a 30% discount and everyone else pays shelf price.

True been there in Victoria Street near the Queen Victoria Market. Yes are all Thais working there and yes Thais do pay less as I found when I went with my missus. Good discounts if you are Thai.

True been there in Victoria Street near the Queen Victoria Market. Yes are all Thais working there and yes Thais do pay less as I found when I went with my missus. Good discounts if you are Thai.

Ok well I can see how this sort of keeps Thais 'united', and provides them with a warm flutter of a knowledge that despite not being in Thailand, there's still pride (and great discounts) if one is Thai. Just don't cry and complain if the boot is on the other foot then.

As an aside, I read that a Thai company has bought Dean & Deluca. I wonder if it will soon start implementing a dual-pricing scheme. Not just at its stores in BKK, but around the world. Really curious how my friends in New York will react to that biggrin.png

Edited by outsider

I am sure the Thai-Chinese conglomerate owners have enough assets to finish the building or tear it down....but too cheap to do anything. Should put in big letters the name of the family(ies) that own it.

For those wishing to name the owner and learn about this tourist attraction.rolleyes.gif

http://www.justonewayticket.com/2012/12/13/exploration-of-an-abandoned-skyscraper-in-bangkok-the-sathorn-unique-building/

Edited by ratcatcher

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

so why they keep the tower? or why not finish it ?

Probably some rich Thai billionaire who want to launder some corruption money.

I am sure the Thai-Chinese conglomerate owners have enough assets to finish the building or tear it down....but too cheap to do anything. Should put in big letters the name of the family(ies) that own it.

For those wishing to name the owner and learn about this tourist attraction.rolleyes.gif

http://www.justonewayticket.com/2012/12/13/exploration-of-an-abandoned-skyscraper-in-bangkok-the-sathorn-unique-building/

Providing this is correct. The architect was forced to sell off the RCK or State Tower when he was indicted and sent to jail over an alleged plot to murder a supreme court justice (which apparently was repealed years later). Í always wonder why he didn't sell this building as well, at the very least that building still doesn't earn him or his family much money.

• 1 month later...

I don't belive his name was Styk Yohanne Kristian. No way any person in Sweden have a name like that

Zlatan Ibrahamovic. Date of birth 3 October 1981 (age 33) Place of birth Malmö, Sweden

Never heard of him? Not a Swedish name, so can't be Swedish. Surely not everyone is Somebodyssonson?

Perhaps his name should be Ibrahamovicsson?

BTW, he kicks a football around for FC Paris St Germain.

Zlatan Ibrahamovic. Date of birth 3 October 1981 (age 33) Place of birth Malmö, Sweden

Never heard of him? Not a Swedish name, so can't be Swedish. Surely not everyone is Somebodyssonson?

Perhaps his name should be Ibrahamovicsson?

BTW, he kicks a football around for FC Paris St Germain.

Swedish football players cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Do they actually have any ?? Last time I watched a game with Swedes on the field, I fell asleep after 2 minutes

"Styk Yohanne Kristian"

More likely "Stig Johan Kristian". And only one of them is his given name.

I never heard in Norway or Sweden a family names like Johan or Kristian, but Johansson or Kristiansson in Sweden or Johannsen or Kristiansen in Norway or Danmark. thumbsup.gif

The driver's licence found on the body belonged to Styk Yohanne Kristian, who recently entered Thailand alone

Does the Journalist know that most of the Farangs "entered" Thailand recently because most can't stay longer then 90 days.

Do you know that the journalist did not just state that the Swede entered Thailand recently, he said that he "entered Thailand alone"

I don't know what a journalist in thailand earns, but I guess not to much.

Maybe he is besides a fortuneteller, or he just liked to make it more interesting as many journalists do it all over the world, but as it is in all businesses, some having talent some not.wink.png

"Security guards hired by owners reportedly demand and pocket Bt100 from Thais and Bt200 from foreigners wishing to enter the building."

Blimey, even a derelict building has dual pricing; whatever next.

I wonder if he would let me in for 100 B if I showed him my Thai DL???coffee1.gif

Anybody who just pay 1 satang to enter these building is just dingdong, caused no elevator geez. giggle.gifclap2.gif