US frees six Guantanamo detainees to go to Uruguay

webfact

Sadly your link provides no support for those being 'some poor dude walking down the street'. Unless you have strong evidence, your claim is invalid.

Coincidentally, your link serves to underline the need for Guantanamo - without which detainees would simply be shipped off to secret prisons, unknown, without any records.

In Guantanamo, we know the detainees, we know how long they are kept, detention is transparent.

I find it amusing how folks with a misplaced sense of clue are demanding that Guantanamo be shut down - as it will only lead to a new era of secret prisons.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly your link provides no support for those being 'some poor dude walking down the street'. Unless you have strong evidence, your claim is invalid.

Coincidentally, your link serves to underline the need for Guantanamo - without which detainees would simply be shipped off to secret prisons, unknown, without any records.

In Guantanamo, we know the detainees, we know how long they are kept, detention is transparent.

I find it amusing how folks with a misplaced sense of clue are demanding that Guantanamo be shut down - as it will only lead to a new era of secret prisons.

Transparent?
Better get up to speed with the report released today about the transparent luxury and safety prisoners suffered at the hands of freedom loving USA. Makes one wonder exactly who the terrorists really are
-Detainees were subjected to repeated waterboarding, slapping, stress positions and sleep deprivation
-Saudi al-Qaeda suspect Abu Zubaydah was kept confined in a coffin-sized box for hours on end
-Suspects were threatened with severe harm - psychologically and physically
-Interrogators used "rectal hydration" a form of feeding, without medical cause
The CIA carried out "brutal" interrogations of al-Qaeda suspects in the years after the 9/11 attacks on the US, a US Senate report has said.
"The summary of the report, compiled by Democrats on the Senate Intelligence Committee, said the CIA had misled Americans about what it was doing."
Edited by dexterm

Better learn to read.

The [Washington] Post's anonymous sources say that the Inspector General is looking into a number of similar cases—possibly as many as thirty innocent men who were captured and transported through what has been called "erroneous renditions".

Transparent?
Better get up to speed with the report released today about the transparent luxury and safety prisoners suffered at the hands of freedom loving USA. Makes one wonder exactly who the terrorists really are
-Detainees were subjected to repeated waterboarding, slapping, stress positions and sleep deprivation
-Saudi al-Qaeda suspect Abu Zubaydah was kept confined in a coffin-sized box for hours on end
The CIA carried out "brutal" interrogations of al-Qaeda suspects in the years after the 9/11 attacks on the US, a US Senate report has said.
"The summary of the report, compiled by Democrats on the Senate Intelligence Committee, said the CIA had misled Americans about what it was doing."

Doesn't sound good but it's really child's play compared to the treatment the Muslim fanatics dole out to their prisoners.

Transparent?

Doesn't sound good but it's really child's play compared to the treatment the Muslim fanatics dole out to their prisoners.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

"This will lay the US open to charges of hypocrisy, making it far harder for the West to criticise brutal and dictatorial regimes. It may also encourage terrorists to justify their atrocities by pointing to this past abuse."

Naw, the US just paid a wad of cash to some politicians in Uruguay to take them off our hands.

They'll pop up in the Middle East within a month.

It's called Obama's fast track to the battlefield.

It's always unfortunate when people say something backed by ignorance....

Purely speculation, Mr. Duck.

Oh yes, I forgot. The recidivism rate was nearing 3 in 10 returning to the battlefield upon release.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four More Former Gitmo Terrorists Returned to Battlefield
7:07 AM, MAR 6, 2014 • BY JERYL BIER
The semi-annual report on "Re-engagement of Detainees Formerly Held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba" was released on Wednesday by the Director of National Intelligence (DNI). Out of a total of 614 former prisoners (up from 603 six months ago), intelligence has confirmed that 104 (up from 100) have re-engaged in terrorism/insurgent activities while another 74 are suspected of doing so. The latest report nudged the recidivism rate up to an even 29 percent from 28.9 percent last September.

Always the focus on the minority bad news and not the overwhelming good.

The way I read this is more than 70% of former Gitmo detainees stay on the straight and narrow after release. That's a better recidivism rate than any federal or state penitentiary can boast. Apart from possibly that Norwegian island jail, Gitmo trumps just about anything in the civilised world.

Maybe there's a future for an expanded Gitmo after all. Maybe these contested islands in the South China Sea? How about those millionaire islands in the Caribbean? Benbecula in the December maybe?

If international terrorists had continued their Twin Towers-Washington attacks anywhere in the US then a Guantanamo facility could readily be justified.

However, because the USGovernment and people responded immediatey and decisively to 9/11 there were no such further events. There was a shoe bomber type here or there but nothing like 9/11. And I don't see that Gitmo somehow served as any kind of deterrent besides. Indeed, we're still trying to recover from the Patriot Act and NSA overreach.

I commend the US government and my fellow citizens for the effective work since 9/11 to preclude another such catastrophe as 9/11.

Jumping to 2008 and 2012, the majority of those who voted twice to elect Barack Obama president want Gitmo shut down and the ground under it morphed into a sink hole. I think the prez now knows he simply has to set a shutdown date and a schedule to wind the place down and tell the last one out to turn off the lights.

Given the stable and secure on the ground realities since 9/11 to the present, the US Government has stained itself by establishing and in maintaining Guantanamo and has imposed itself on its allied governments to their discredit as well. The whole of this fiasco against the moral standing of the United States needs now to be terminated. The realities of the on the ground circumstances just never fully warranted a Camp Delta.

While I do not take part in the usual left vs right which are popular here I do

agree with what you say here....especially so the last paragraph.

Better learn to read.

The [Washington] Post's anonymous sources say that the Inspector General is looking into a number of similar cases—possibly as many as thirty innocent men who were captured and transported through what has been called "erroneous renditions".

Maybe you are the one with reading problems as well as with changing the meaning of his quote. His whole statement was "Sadly your link provides no support for those being 'some poor dude walking down the street'. Unless you have strong evidence, your claim is invalid." The Washington Post's "anonymous sources" are NOT strong evidence.

Jumping to 2008 and 2012, the majority of those who voted twice to elect Barack Obama president want Gitmo shut down and the ground under it morphed into a sink hole. I think the prez now knows he simply has to set a shutdown date and a schedule to wind the place down and tell the last one out to turn off the lights.

Given the stable and secure on the ground realities since 9/11 to the present, the USGovernment has stained itself by establishing and in maintaining Guantanamo and has imposed itself on its allied governments to their discredit as well. The whole of this fiasco against the moral standing of the United States needs now to be terminated. The realities of the on the ground circumstances just never fully warranted a Camp Delta.

Speaking of ignorance - maybe you really should spend about 30 minutes educating yourself why Guantanamo Bay has not been shut down yet, and it's not for lack of trying on Obama's part.

As I stated in my post, the president knows at this point what he has to do to shut the place down.