Australian disability campaigner Stella Young dies

webfact

Australian disability campaigner Stella Young dies

(BBC) Tributes have been paid to Stella Young, the Australian comedian, broadcaster and prominent disability activist who has died at the age of 32.

Her family said that she died unexpectedly in Melbourne on Saturday evening, ABC reported.

Ms Young was born with osteogenesis imperfecta, a genetic disorder that caused her bones to break easily.

John Ajaka, NSW minister for disability services, said he was "shocked and saddened" to hear of her death.

"She will be truly missed, not just from the disability sector, but by thousands of people who aspired to her positive outlook on life.

"Stella had a wicked way of making us question and face up to misunderstanding and discrimination against people with a disability - to make us laugh at ourselves."

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-12-08

.....RIP.....

....I hope you are blessed with wings.....to soar on high......for striving and struggling to bring services to the physically challenged...

....in Quebec......around 20-30 years ago....around 20% of the population was categorized as 'handicapped'.....

Well I haven't lived in Australia for I guess 17 years and I recognize her from the photo's,

She was on lot's of show's that I saw on visits.

For some reason I am thinking one of the ABC comedy shows had her on it.

She was at the Melbourne International Comedy festival, which is pretty big event for years now

Stella who? I'm an Aussie from Melbourne and never heard of her and never saw a thing on Australian news.

The quote at the bottom of your post says it all. I am not surprised you have never heard of Stella.

I must admit as an Australian I also have never heard of the lady. Sounds like she was a nice lady. My condolences to her family and friends.