Phuket mayor slams 'frightening' police raid on brother's home

webfact

Phuket mayor slams 'frightening' police raid on brother's home
Saran Mitrarat

1418026982_1-org.jpg
Mayor Worawut (left) and his sister Hathairat explain their complaint to Gov Nisit.

PHUKET: -- Srisoonthorn Mayor Worawut Songyos, accompanied by more than 200 residents this morning (December 8) delivered complaint letters to officials after police tried to smash their way into the home of his brother on Wednesday (December 3), in order to arrest him.

The 20 police officers on the raid had an arrest warrant for Padungsak Songyos on a charge of issuing a bad cheque.

They did not, however, have a search warrant. Instead, they cited martial law as justification for attempting to break down the front door of the home in the Songyos family compound in Moo 7, Srisoonthorn.

Hathairat Songyos, sister of Mr Padungsak and Mr Worawut, told The Phuket News, “At that time [at 7pm], only my mother and a six-year-old child were in the house.

“They were in the back of house, and did not hear the police demands that they open up.”

Ms Hathairat herself was not at home, but said, “A neighbour called me about it and I asked them to tell the police that I would be there shortly.

“But the police rejected my request that they wait. They tried to break through the door, claiming that, under martial law, police have the authority to do that.

“In the event they could not get through the metal gate on the door,” she said.

She alleged that police told neighbours of the Songyos family that they had come with an arrest warrant on drug charges. “I was very upset that they told our neighbours that,” she added.

Mayor Worawut told the Governor that the family felt scared and threatened, especially because they knew that the officer leading the raid, Lt Col Sommai Onkum of Cherng Talay Police, is well known as a marksman.

“We have babies in houses around that area. I am concerned about our security,” the mayor said. “I’m not sure whether this action – taking place at night – might be over the top for a bounced cheque case. I would like Phuket officials to investigate it.”

Governor Nisit Jansomwong told the crowd, “Please trust that Phuket officials will not ignore this case. We will take action by assigning an impartial person to investigate the incident as soon as possible.

“This will done within 15 days and I will inform Phuket Provincial Police Commander Maj Gen Patchara Boonyasit about your security concerns,” he added.

“If something related to safety happens to you, I will take responsibility for it,” he said.

A few minutes later Pol Col Witoon Gongsudjai, representing Gen Patchara, also came to meet the villagers to accept a copy of the letter.

He told them, “I can’t make any statement at this stage – I have to read the letter first. But for sure the police will investigate this matter as requested.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-mayor-slams-frightening-police-raid-on-brothers-home-50020.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-12-08

• Like 1

I think the plethora of these cases against high-ranking officials and their families and acolytes, is really more indicative of a purge of the opposition by the government.

lets see how many govt "supporters" are arrested in the next few months?

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 2

.....whatever the circumstances....it appears that a crime was committed...and there is an arrest warrant to be served......

....if it is fraud.....and we don't know the details or the amount....shall we plead for 'civility' suddenly....???

Perhaps if this family were not beyond any 'naughty' going on's then the police would have more respect for them. But the old aussie saying is................Fly with the Crows, you get shot with the Crows. whistling.gif

or how about.........."lie down with dogs and wake up with fleas".

I think the plethora of these cases against high-ranking officials and their families and acolytes, is really more indicative of a purge of the opposition by the government.

There is also a secondary purge of high ranking "people" that have been skimming the system and lining their own pockets in silk and filling them with Gold ...at the expense of everyone and everything.

• Like 2

just another case of the police not knowing or Following the law....is there any hope for this place when these fools are acting like this over a Cheque?

law? at present time there is no law! martial law means that the cops an do anything they want! who is going to prosecute? the dear leader?

Could be. I wouldn't argue that piont. The query I have is, "When and what is enough?". I mean, they are all crooked, in my view, so what is the cut off limit for being on the radar? Those little badgers trying to break in are no angels, I'll warrant.

• Like 1

She did not hear them ?,20 police officers .She needs her ears seen to .There is far more to it than a bounced cheque i bet .

Even if i heard them, i would not have let them in.

Woman alone with a child. 20 cops with guns. Not on your life should she let them in.

• Like 2