Bangkok: New haul linked to ex-CIB chief

webfact

New haul linked to ex-CIB chief
The Nation

30249408-01_big.jpg?1418078836176

BANGKOK: -- MOST OF the items found at an antique shop and in an apartment in northern Bangkok are imitations and the shop probably has no permit to sell them, a police commander said yesterday.

Police also found ivory items, artefacts, possibly illegally felled timber, antique Chinese and European furniture as well ancient Buddha images, said Sahabhum Bhumtitterat, director of the Office of National Museums who jointly inspected the items with the policemen.

The hoard was found at Sawong Antiques and Sawong Apartment, which are owned by Sawong Mungthiang and Rerngsak Saknarongdej, who police believe have connections with the former Central Investigation Bureau chief Lt-General Pongpat Chayaphan.

Pol Maj-General Prasobchok Phrommool, chief of the police's Natural Resources And Environmental Crime Division, said these men would face three years in prison and/or a maximum fine of Bt300,000 if they are not able to produce permits for selling artefacts. Though most of the items found in the two locations were imitations, they did not include the nine items that cannot be reproduced under Thai law, Sahabhum said.The authorities are verifying these items and results should be known soon, he added.

Meanwhile, residents from Chiang Rai's Chiang Khong district are calling on police to check out the Buddha images and amulets found in Pongpat's 11 homes to see if they are part of the items stolen 36 years ago from a 700-year-old temple. Former kamnan Praphat Kaewta said one of the items most revered was a Buddha image called Phra Sing that went missing in a series of break-ins in 1978. Phra Sing is about 63 centimetres tall and 55cm wide.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/New-haul-linked-to-ex-CIB-chief-30249408.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-09

To be frank most of these items are worthless in Europe.

I cannot see a value but then I am a Farang.

(Writing this from my 800 year old home with lots more down the road here in Norfolk!)

Ps...must send the wife out to gather some stones in the garden and take to market on Friday!.

Edited by Jay Sata
  • Like 2

"they did not include the nine items that cannot be reproduced under Thai law"

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what this statement refers to...?

There are certain things that cannot be reproduced by law here, nine of the artefacts fell under that category. The remainder didn't, ie there is no restriction on the reproduction of those.

There are certain things that cannot be reproduced by law here, nine of the artefacts fell under that category. The remainder didn't, ie there is no restriction on the reproduction of those.

Hmmm... I read it differently. I thought it meant that, under Thai law, there are 9 specific artifacts that may not be reproduced (since there was no earlier reference to them in the article).

But my question was more about what those articles are. Pure curiosity.

I'm just starting my morning coffee, so maybe I'm missing something

Hmmm... I read it differently. I thought it meant that, under Thai law, there are 9 specific artifacts that may not be reproduced (since there was no earlier reference to them in the article).

I'm also curious.

I'm also curious.

Artifacts that are protected from reproduction, accused of lese majeste, starts to ring a bell ?

• Like 1

I'm also curious.

Artifacts that are protected from reproduction, accused of lese majeste, starts to ring a bell ?

I doubt that is the issue. I assume the artificats are antiquities of some kind, which a particular law bars from reproduction because of the esteem within which they are held.
  • Like 2

To be frank most of these items are worthless in Europe.

I cannot see a value but then I am a Farang.

(Writing this from my 800 year old home with lots more down the road here in Norfolk!)

Ps...must send the wife out to gather some stones in the garden and take to market on Friday!.

Thats not true ,look at some of the high end auctions asian art ,your be shocked at the prices ,

So not like raybans or Levis then.

What a convenient opportunity for fakes. These can't be copied by law. Lol

What kind of an answer is that? You are only reiterating the obvious.

Mysteriouser and mysteriouser says Alice.....

"Mysteriouser" might have been uttered by the Thai Alice.

The Lewis Carroll Alice said "Curiouser".

just checking to see if anyone noticed!

So not like raybans or Levis then.

What a convenient opportunity for fakes. These can't be copied by law. Lol

Thai Levis are "originals".....Levis factory in the US was closed long time ago.....and the ones selling now in the US are from Thailand, China, Indonesia, etc, etc....Same with Lee.

Ironically....the very much appreciated made in USA original Levis 505 can be found in many second hand clothing stores in Thailand under $5.00 and some in pristine condition. Second hand clothing stores in the US sells those for well over $50...if you can find it.

Edited by umbanda

What kind of an answer is that? You are only reiterating the obvious.

Why cant some of you people just say "I DONT KNOW"----- Typical load of bull from those that think they know it all