Bus crash kills driver, injures 15 on Phetkasem highway

webfact

Bus crash kills driver, injures 15

9-12-2557-11-03-44-wpcf_728x406.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A tour bus driver died and 15 passengers injured when a Bangkok-Krabi inter provincial bus hit at the rear of a container truck on Phetkasem highway in Phetburi province before dawn Tuesday.

Highway police reported the incident happened at about 03.45 am with Bus No 9914-4 ม.4 ข which belongs to Lignite Tour Co Ltd in front of Makro superstore.

The bus came in full speed with its driver unaware of the truck making a U-turn on the highway.

The impact sent the driver who was not yet identified out of his seat to the ground and injured 15 passengers inside the bus which was badly damaged on the front.

All were admitted to Phra Chomklao hospital.

The truck driver is being wanted by the police for questioning for actual cause of accident.

But police said the truck might be making a U-turn while the bus driver did not see.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bus-crash-kills-driver-injures-15

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-09

My guess.....Container truck had zero lights and was traveling at 10 kph/5mph due to a pathetic truck, due to corruption/300%tariffs on bringing in a fricking Peterbuilt that can haul 50K lbs on a roadway at 100 kph.

Dumb-ass bus driver "wasn't dead yet", but from the looks of the "Face" of his bus, it's not a pretty "Face".

Som nam naa Thailand......Funny how the term "LOS" has fallen out of use these days.

Land of Smiles has been replaced with "Thainess".

Edited by jaywalker
  • Like 1

That looks like one of these unsafe local made buses? I thought these were supposed to be removed. As they are two narrow and high. Unsafe at speed.

I concur.

I visited a factory making these objects and the upper frame was made of ... wood. There were no safety measures or strengthening metal frameworks whatsoever.

The concepts of safe weight or load distribution were simply not in the consciousness of the manufacturer.

wonder if there were seat belts.the state of the front of the bus a belt wouldnt have saved the driver.

u-turns on fast roads DEATH TRAPS.

I passed the scene of this crash at about 4:45am this morning, on the way back from Hua Hin. The police had shut the main road and we had to use the frontage road. From the photo, it looks like the left front of the bus hit the truck. If the truck was indeed doing a u-turn, you would have thought the right hand side of the bus would have taken the biggest hit. Also, is there even a U-turn at this location?

What was the bus doing on the right lane ??

Where in hells name have you been? They nearly always travel in the outside lane or haven't you noticed.
Just a question , it was

Don't know if they are even allowed in the right lane except from overtaking or going to a u-turn

When will they put an end to those u-turns, trucks swing left before turning right the ass of the truck on the outside lane while the cab taking up the overtaking lane on the opposite side of the road,,, , those who drive route 1 through the industrial area to Saraburi will know what i mean, and many other places like it,,,,

In any country with sane traffic laws the u-turning vehicles responsibility is to make sure oncoming traffic is cleared BEFORE ENTERINGTHE ROAD !

The truck driver should be charged with involuntary manslaughter which would, at least take him off the road for awhile !

Where in hells name have you been? They nearly always travel in the outside lane or haven't you noticed.
Just a question , it was

Don't know if they are even allowed in the right lane except from overtaking or going to a u-turn

Assuming there are even such laws in Thailand for that, which I dont think there are, most lousy Thai drivers would not follow the traffic laws anyway.

There are probably laws against driving on the wrong side of the road, but people do it to pass and overtake other drivers all the time in Thailand. So, if you are questioning why someone did not follow the traffic rules, then you must not have driven or seen traffic in Thailand much.

That looks like one of these unsafe local made buses? I thought these were supposed to be removed. As they are two narrow and high. Unsafe at speed.

I concur.

I visited a factory making these objects and the upper frame was made of ... wood. There were no safety measures or strengthening metal frameworks whatsoever.

The concepts of safe weight or load distribution were simply not in the consciousness of the manufacturer.

What the hell has that got to do with a bus going full speed slamming into a truck, lucky nobody else dead.

He should have been well aware. Bus drivers also make U-turns on highways and roads causing accidents and the

panic application of brakes by oncoming scooter riders and cars. Pay attention, slow down, Thai drivers do what

they want, when they want. That includes regarding traffic lights as suggestions. blink.png

Just a question , it was

Assuming there are even such laws in Thailand for that, which I dont think there are, most lousy Thai drivers would not follow the traffic laws anyway.

There are probably laws against driving on the wrong side of the road, but people do it to pass and overtake other drivers all the time in Thailand. So, if you are questioning why someone did not follow the traffic rules, then you must not have driven or seen traffic in Thailand much.

It,s not about me , did plenty of driving in the 8 years I live here

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I concur.

Somebody is being paid. To keep these death traps, on the road!

What do the speculative posts about the bus's construction have to do with this? It didn't overturn or disintegrate into nothing, it hit the back of another vehicle which would have happened even if it had been carved out of a solid block of titanium.

My guess.....Container truck had zero lights and was traveling at 10 kph/5mph due to a pathetic truck, due to corruption/300%tariffs on bringing in a fricking Peterbuilt that can haul 50K lbs on a roadway at 100 kph.

Dumb-ass bus driver "wasn't dead yet", but from the looks of the "Face" of his bus, it's not a pretty "Face".

Som nam naa Thailand......Funny how the term "LOS" has fallen out of use these days.

Land of Smiles has been replaced with "Thainess".

The dumb-ass prize goes to you, the report says that the driver was not yet identified, not that he was "not yet dead".