AMLO to freeze 400 million baht worth of land plots from Pongpat and his relatives

Lite Beer

AMLO to freeze 400 million baht worth of land plots from Pongpat and his relatives

12-9-2014-9-57-31-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO) has decided to sequester 104 land plots worth about 400 million baht belong to Pol Lt-Gen PongpatChayapan, former commissioner of Central Investigation Bureau, and his relatives.

AMLO secretary-general Pol Col Sihanart Prayoonrat said Tuesday that AMLO board had considered evidences, facts and conduct of Pol Lt-Gen Pongpat and his associates and concluded that their activities amounted to money laundering.

He said that most of the land plots to be frozen are in Nonthaburi, NakhonPathom, PathumThani and SamutSakhon and they were acquired by Pol Lt-Gen Pongpat after he became the CIB commissioner in 2010 but most of them were held in the names of his relatives.

He disclosed that some land plots were co-owned by 5-6 people who have not been charged but who will be summoned to clarify to AMLO officials within 30 days about how the land plots were acquired.

If their clarification is unclear, the land plots in question will be confiscated, he added.

Also, AMLO is examining 10 cars and artefacts seized from the premises belong to the ex-CIB chief and his associates to determine how they were acquired.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/amlo-freeze-400-million-baht-worth-land-plots-pongpat-relatives

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-09

I can't understand what anyone in his position would want with 104 land plots all over the place. Cash and gold, overseas bank accounts ( can't believe that there aren't some of these), yes. But land?

I know what you mean. It seems nothing is ever enough for some people. I'm not just talking about criminals but pretty much anyone who amasses a large amount of assets and wealth. I can understand doing it for themselves, then for their family, even anyone they know, but a time must come when all that material wealth is way beyond what they and their families will ever need.

I do understand workaholics who just can't stop, but I really don't think that explains it for most of humanity. I even think putting it down simply to greed is not a satisfying answer because (very) rich people can be perfectly decent human beings too.

Another theory might be some variation on the collecting mentality whereby once the collector starts it becomes like an obsession and they can no longer stop.

Back to the criminal side of it, I think a part of it might be simply because once they're 'in' they can't get back 'out' due to what and who they know, so the cycle must continue.

It's an interesting one for sure.

• Like 2

Amlo agrees to freeze 104 plots held by Pongpat
The Nation

30249498-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- THE ANTI-MONEY Laundering Office yesterday agreed to freeze a portion of assets - 104 plots of land worth about Bt400 million - jointly held by former crime-buster Pol Lt-General Pongpat Chayaphan on the assumption that they were acquired unlawfully.

"In the next 30 days, any plots that Pongpat or joint owners fail to prove that they have acquired lawfully will be seized," said Seehanart Prayoonrat, secretary-general of AMLO.

Of all plots under 136 land titles in his name, 104 that he acquired after becoming the commissioner of the Central Investigation Bureau four years ago had been ordered frozen

AMLO would notify the other owners of the dates to meet with AMLO officials to verify their ownership or acquisition of these land plots.

Yesterday's decision by AMLO was approved by its board on grounds that the land plots had likely been bought with money given to Pongpat by illegal gambling dens across the country, a huge amount daily, since his promotion as CIB chief on October 1, 2010.

Gambling proceeds are some of the ill-gotten assets subject to seizure under AMLO regulations.

AMLO will later verify other assets of Pongpat after receiving lists from police investigators, which would include dozens of artefacts and luxury cars. Assets of other members of Pongpat's racket will also soon undergo AMLO inspection, he said.

AMLO is tracing possible money flows from Pongpat to other countries but the amount might not be large as Pongpat and other members, given their apparent experience, were able to hide the transactions, he said.

As for Pongpat's connection with the petrol smuggling business in the deep South run by fugitive Pattani-based businessman Sahachai Jiansermsin, AMLO has not yet come across bank records.

"It's possible that these people made payments in cash," he added.

Borwornwej Rungrujee, director-general of the Fine Arts Department, said more than 30 art objects from Pongpat's collection of about 30,000 found at two locations in Nonthaburi were proven authentic and worth an estimated Bt10 million.

The imitations will be sent back to police while the genuine articles will stay with the National Museum of Thailand, he added. Borwornwej has said authentic items of foreign origin, including present-day Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar, will be returned.

The owners of Sawong Antique shop and Sawong apartment where the items were hidden will be prosecuted after they failed to produce permits to possess and sell certain antiques.

Pol Maj-General Prasobchoke Phrommool, the commander of the police division tasked with preserving the environment, said the owners, Sawong Mungthiang and Rerngsak Saknarongdej, would be prosecuted for possessing carcasses of endangered animals and ivory without a permit.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Amlo-agrees-to-freeze-104-plots-held-by-Pongpat-30249498.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-12-10

I can't understand what anyone in his position would want with 104 land plots all over the place. Cash and gold, overseas bank accounts ( can't believe that there aren't some of these), yes. But land?

Really? You don't get it?

"Buy land, they're not making it anymore." - Mark Twain

i.e., the value of land pretty much "always" goes up ...

• Like 1

"..Borwornwej Rungrujee, director-general of the Fine Arts Department, said more than 30 art objects from Pongpat's collection of about 30,000 found at two locations in Nonthaburi were proven authentic and worth an estimated Bt10 million.

The imitations will be sent back to police while the genuine articles will stay with the National Museum of Thailand, ."

Nice to see something 'donated' to the National Museum of Thailand, I'm sure Pol Lt-General Pongpat Chayaphan will eventually claim credit for this gracious and unselfish act ..!

PS; Where's Chalerm ?

"but there is also an agenda to totally take that family apart." Yes there is. And if you could see some of the news written outside of Thailand, you would get a better understanding of it. However, this news is not allowed to be printed or discussed in Thailand. facepalm.gif