Syrian war: Western countries to accept more refugees

webfact

Syrian war: Western countries to accept more refugees

(BBC) Western countries have promised to increase the number of Syrian refugees they will accept for resettlement to up to 100,000 over the next few months, the UN refugee agency has said.

The UNHCR made the announcement at a meeting of member states in Geneva.

The 100,000 figure is still well short of what the UN and aid agencies wanted.

Most refugees - around three-million - are in Lebanon, Turkey and Jordan. Up until now only about 62,000 have been allowed into Western countries.

The commitment by them to accept more came at the end of a pledging conference in Geneva, during which aid organisations such as Oxfam and Save the Children urged wealthy countries to accept at least 5%, or 180,000, of the most vulnerable refugees from Syria.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-30393308

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-12-10

I think the U.S Refugee program is one of our most admirable. People...governments do some f***** up things to others for no fault of the victims and the fact that we accept some of them - about 70 thousand last year, literally a drop in the bucket to the millions that immigrate annually - illustrates some of our better qualities as a country.

• Like 1

I am sick of supporting the world's sick, hungry, oppressed people and believe "Refugee" has become an occupation. The US response should be " Sorry but we are full " !

If you're really sick of it, tell your government to get the ... out of Middle East please, stop funding terrorist groups, leave people in the region alone and then you can say "sorry but we are full" !!!! Don't forget what's happening in Syria today is the result of direct and indirect funding and support of terrorists and riots by your own governments to fight against Bashar Assad's regime!

• Like 1

How interesting how many "Refugee Bashers" there are on this forum, whom display a remarkable ignorance and lack of sympathy for fellow human beings who are caught up in wars through no fault of their own and are in the group termed as most vulnerable. My Daughter has just taken on, as a Foster Mother an Israeli Boy of 14. He is disorientated, frightened, has difficulty communicating through lack of English language and has lost his Mother and Father and does not know where his Brothers and Sisters are. I would like to think that if any of these "Refugee Bashers" or their children, or parents, came upon desperately hard and frightening times that someone in the World would extend the helping hand of Aide. It is not being Christian, Moslem, Agnistic or what ever, it is what is called being a decent human being and caring for your fellow man. You need to take a good hard look at yourselves and ask why you are so uncivilised and uncaring - you disgust me!bah.gif

• Like 2

Let them all go to the US and the UK, it was your countries that started all this crap with your holier then thou attitude and thinking your the judge dread of the world!

Who are you to decide anything?

Especially as you don't have a clue what your talking about.

• Like 1

So Us bombing everywhere. US get all contracts on oil, rebulding house,roads contracts etc in the conquered countries, and if not they sure have <deleted> it up there for long time ahead. EU get all refugees and destabilized economies. Sweden where i come from gets the most. 11 countries in EU is not taking any refugees but they do join fights. Sweden is taking 80,000 this year. Population in Sweden is 9 million

The soviet union were smashed into pieces and so were former Jugoslavia. Now US tries to get allies around Russia and people have the guts to call Russia for bad.

If US want to make war then they should take care of the refugees. I am not a rasist, im a realist.

So Us bombing everywhere. US get all contracts on oil, rebulding house,roads contracts etc in the conquered countries, and if not they sure have <deleted> it up there for long time ahead. EU get all refugees and destabilized economies. Sweden where i come from gets the most. 11 countries in EU is not taking any refugees but they do join fights. Sweden is taking 80,000 this year. Population in Sweden is 9 million

The soviet union were smashed into pieces and so were former Jugoslavia. Now US tries to get allies around Russia and people have the guts to call Russia for bad.

If US want to make war then they should take care of the refugees. I am not a rasist, im a realist.

Right now the US is taking care of something between 11,000,000 and 20,000,000 illegal immigrant refugees.

You people don't seem to believe that is enough?

..and the Chinese get all the rebuilding contracts.

• Like 1

Considering the number of refugees involved it would be more practical to provide further funding (on top of what's already being spent) for solution within neighboring countries. Would have hoped that Would have been nice to see more commitment to the refugees welfare from countries such as Saudi Arabia and the Gulf states.

• Like 1

Considering the number of refugees involved it would be more practical to provide further funding (on top of what's already being spent) for solution within neighboring countries. Would have hoped that Would have been nice to see more commitment to the refugees welfare from countries such as Saudi Arabia and the Gulf states.

Indeed the west is left to pick up the pieces, while the arabs do nothing for their own people, My view is this will spread sharia law just that bit faster, because once these refugees see what they can have compared to what is there in Syria, they will never want to return to Syria.

I am sick of supporting the world's sick, hungry, oppressed people and believe "Refugee" has become an occupation. The US response should be " Sorry but we are full " !

I understand your concern for US. But the issue is the Western World. Currently the West is on a suicide mission. Unless the liberal policies are discarded soon enough The Western Civilization is fast reaching the point of No Return. Unfortunately, like it or not, your "Refugee occupation" is 99% a religiously driven group.

I know, I am politically incorrect.

I spent some time in Syria in the mid- 90's. It was worked related. It was a lovely country, with lovely people. I crossed the country by bus. At that time it was under Assad Sr. Although there were a lot of things about the gov't that don't fit with Western democratic ideals, it was a relatively safe country. It was far from being very fundamentalist.

I met a lot of people who spoke English well, including in the rural areas and that seemed to be reasonably well educated.

It is sad that these people have had to endure so much.

• Like 2

Great post, I could not say it better myself.clap2.gif

Edited by rotary
  • Like 1

It is sad that these people have had to endure so much.

Like yourself, I was lucky to travel around that country before it descended into chaos, and that may explain why, like yourself, I view the refugee situation less objectively than some others may be doing. I think of the various people there who were kind and went out of their way to assist, and I have no idea if they are alive or dead now. I also try and remember what the Jews found themselves facing in WWII, where there were so many blocks by nations preventing them finding a safe haven. Having said that, I fully understand the concern about taking in more and more people at a time when European nations are themselves struggling with a multitude of domestic problems and also concern about yet another 'wave' of Muslims (even though I suspect quite a lot of refugees who would get a pass into Europe would be Syrian Christians) adding to the population. Currently the refugee situation appears (from what I read) to be reasonably well spread out over many nations by agreement, so that no 'one' nation is getting a tsunami at once.

I agree with comments that the ideal situation is for refugee re-settlement / absorption into surrounding Arab nations, but I don't hold my breath. Nations like Jordan and Lebanon appear to at the forefront of assisting with camps around the borders, but I don't expect they'll be truly absorbing waves of people as nationals when you consider that Jordan aside, Arab states have for decades gone out of their way to prevent 'Palestinian' refugees being absorbed. Most of the nations have official legislation which severely limits what they can and cannot do, thereby preventing true absorption as nationals. It is probably the worst possible climate right now for politicians to expect local populations in Europe to be welcoming to more and more people fleeing the fallout of chaos elsewhere in the world. The key will be some kind of balance / regulations rather than a free for all.

• Like 1

Let them all go to the US and the UK, it was your countries that started all this crap with your holier then thou attitude and thinking your the judge dread of the world!

What a stupid comment to post,where you from Syria? We are full if your not from Syria lets hope they are all sent to your country.

Who are you to decide anything?

Especially as you don't have a clue what your talking about.

Very well said sir.

don't worry come to England , bring your shit beliefs with you , build your temples on our holy grounds, have a free house , turn your street in a Muslims only street..... I do hope my country is not expecting or excepting any more of these lot .....maybe there have to even out the Imergration numbers by putting up the spouse visa financial requirement up to 50000 grand

Edited by happydude303
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You should have your own cable channel.

Unlike illegal immigrants, refugees are actually screened and gov'ts have a direct say in who they accept or do not accept. People are rejected for a variety of reasons and it varies from country to country. Those involved in certain crimes are precluded from immigration to most countries. Those with contagious diseases and mental illness must be either cured or under treatment before they can be resettled.

Refugees are usually first referred to a country where they have immediate family members, this prevents families from being divided up and internationalized.

Some of the pressure is probably being put on Western gov'ts to accept those that already have ties to the country and who may have an immigrant petition awaiting approval.

Syria is not a particularly fundamentalist country and during the time I spent there, I found the people quite nice. The Syrian people are certainly a cut above some of the inhabitants of the area.

I am sure the US and the UK will take it's share. If you don't want your country to do so, I suggest you contact your local representative and voice your disapproval.

Unlike illegal immigrants, refugees are actually screened and gov'ts have a direct say in who they accept or do not accept. People are rejected for a variety of reasons and it varies from country to country. Those involved in certain crimes are precluded from immigration to most countries. Those with contagious diseases and mental illness must be either cured or under treatment before they can be resettled.

Refugees are usually first referred to a country where they have immediate family members, this prevents families from being divided up and internationalized.

Some of the pressure is probably being put on Western gov'ts to accept those that already have ties to the country and who may have an immigrant petition awaiting approval.

Syria is not a particularly fundamentalist country and during the time I spent there, I found the people quite nice. The Syrian people are certainly a cut above some of the inhabitants of the area.

I am sure the US and the UK will take it's share. If you don't want your country to do so, I suggest you contact your local representative and voice your disapproval.

The Sydney attack could serve as an example to suggest that things are far from perfect with the whole screening thing.

Would be happier to see more participation, on this front, by certain Middle East countries, especially those with means to address the issue. Not in their best interest, though, so not much of a chance there.

Syria might have been not particularly fundamentalist - but that had a lot to do with Assad Senior's way of running the place. Question is how this was effected by events of recent years. My guess is that many would now be either radicalized and/or see aggression (in whatever context) as normal. Regardless of devoutness, living under such conditions is bound to leave a mark.

I would have to familiarize myself with the Sydney attack guy, but I believe he falls into a different category than the ones that are being discussed in this thread. He was already in Australia and wasn't being sent back possibly because he faced the death penalty. He was not screened as a refugee in another country and then admitted to Australia. You are mixing up the granting of asylum of someone who is already in a country with refugee status to someone who is another country.

Probably many of the people being considered for refugee resettlement will have relatives in a 3rd country. The family situation will be reviewed and in many cases they will not enter as refugees but will enter as immigrants, thereby saving slots for other refugees.

Countries will have the right to accept or reject people based on the criteria set out by their respective gov'ts.