Bali 9 duo will face firing squad

webfact

So execute some drug smugglers. Strict enforcement will end drug crime (NOT) .

By the way how many Indonesians who were sentenced for roles in the 2002 and 2005 attacks that actually killed scores of people are now walking the streets free men, Hmm?

Unlike their Bali 9 colleagues, neither Sukamaran nor Chan has ever tried to deny their status as ringleaders in their little misadventure, and I have no doubt that this wasn't their first experience as mules. If you know any of the specifics of the case, their intent wasnt to smuggle anything into Indonesia - they were trying to smuggle heroin to Australia. I'm all for stemming the flow of drugs from Asia into Australia (and other markets where the drugs fetch many times their initial cost on the street), but Joko is part of a system that is notoriously corrupt - he has to know that the 8.3kg of heroin seized when they were caught would have been little more than a blip on the syndicate's radar.

If the scuttlebutt is correct. it was Scott Rush's father who told the AFP that his junkie son was involved in the planned importation of heroin into Australia - Rush claims to have been targeted on several occasions since, but his plea for clemency was successful - Chan and Sukamaran have had to live with the death penalty hanging over their heads for almost 10 years. I have no problem with Indonesia or any other country imposing capital punishment for drug smugglers, but I question the need to prolong their mental torment when both had their final appeals denied back in 2011. Both have been in their cells when other prisoners have been taken away in the early AM to be executed - some would argue that should be part of the deterrent against trafficking, but can you imagine lying in Kerobokan, wondering when they would come for you ? Cruel and unusual punishment, IMO. Compare their experience to the last Australian hanged in Singapore - 3 years from arrest to execution, even with pleas for clemency from Canberra.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Tuong_Nguyen

I wouldnt swap places with any of them - either in their junkie existence or rotting in a jail in SEA - but the Indonesian President grandstanding when many of his top Generals are actively involved in the drug trade strikes me as more than a tad hypocritical. It's all politics and money but I hope the Indonesians have the brains to execute them on the same night and the balls to do it soon. This circus has dragged on far too long.

• Like 2