Chao Phraya riverside roadway becoming reality

webfact

Chao Phraya riverside roadway becoming reality

10-12-2557-12-39-15-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A bicycle lane paralleled to the Chao Phraya river is becoming a reality after the government said it is working toward the roadway project following Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha's suggestion to utilise riverbank space to relieve traffic congestion and encourage people to exercise.

Deputy government spokesman Maj-Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd disclosed after the weekly cabinet meeting Tuesday that the Interior Ministry was studying the bike lane project.

He said the length of the bike lane could be 20 kilometres long along the river.

He said the government hopes to provide space along the country’s main river for family activities and recreation.

But he said that the budget and beginning and end of the roadway were still under the study.

Gen Prayut earlier stated cycling an urgent national priority, calling for an increase in bicycle lanes and improvements to existing ones.

The premier said the river landscape should be rearranged to allow people to use areas for exercises, he said.

According to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), the bike lane is part of its 30-billion baht project to construct a riverside roadway for pollution free mass transport, riding, walking and pleasure.

The bike lane is incorporated in the mega project of the BMA which had tried desperately for several decades to improve the landscape of the banks of the river which were rampantly intruded.

The roadway spans from Rama 3 bridge to Phra Nangklao bridge covering a total distance of 50 kilometres, or 25 kilometres on each side of the river bank.
Construction cost is estimated at 30 billion baht or 500-600 million baht a kilometre.

Each riverside roadway will be 16 metres wide or equivalent to a four-lane traffic road. The roadway will be divided to two lanes for pollution free mass transport project, one bike lane and one lane for walking, recreation, and exercise.

Roadway at river curves will be reserved as recreational areas for exercises and other activities.
The BMA planned to construct the first phase of the project from Phrase Pinklao bridge to Rama 7 bridge covering a distance of 5-7 kilometres or 14 kilometres in total.

Construction cost which included land expropriation cost, for the first phase is about 7-8 billion baht. It plans to begin construction in October next year, and completed and open to use in two years time or in 2018.

The BMA also plans to connect the two riverside roadway with a 350- metre long two-lane bridge exclusively for walking and bicycle riding and a vintage point in the middle near Siriraj hospital. However Tha Phrachan pier is also an alternative location for the bridge.

The blueprint of the riverside roadway project has been forwarded to the Interior Ministry for consideration before going to the cabinet for endorsement.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/chao-phraya-riverside-roadway-becoming-reality

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-10

Each riverside roadway will be 16 metres wide or equivalent to a four-lane traffic road.

Where are they going to find the space to put a 4 lane road along both sides of the river?

It is part of the flood defences, the road goes on top of the retaining wall. I recommended to the Government/BMA to build their flood defences similar to the London Embankment (flood defence wall), as a tourist feature with a roadway for recreation (no cars), such as running, bicycling, horse and carriages and old Bangkok Trams. This seems to be going ahead.

I'll rephrase then:

Where are they going to find the space to build a flood defence wide enough to put a 4 lane road along both sides of the river?

• Like 1

Anyone the least bit familiar with the Chao Praya waterfront in the Saphan Taksin to Tha Chang (Grand Palace) piers stretch will see there's little or no available real estate to run this "highway to happiness"

There are hotels, markets and homes along the route.

I can just imagine the elite guests at the Shangri La and Oriental hotels watching happy cyclists and horse drawn carriages roll by filled with laughing tourists, while they sip their gin and tonics by the pool.

post-9891-0-47591000-1418201465_thumb.jp

Saphan Taksin northwards along the river's east bank..

The Shangri La is in lower part next to bridge, Oriental, much smaller, towards top.

• Like 2

Each riverside roadway will be 16 metres wide or equivalent to a four-lane traffic road.

Where are they going to find the space to put a 4 lane road along both sides of the river?

It is part of the flood defences, the road goes on top of the retaining wall. I recommended to the Government/BMA to build their flood defences similar to the London Embankment (flood defence wall), as a tourist feature with a roadway for recreation (no cars), such as running, bicycling, horse and carriages and old Bangkok Trams. This seems to be going ahead.

I'll rephrase then:

Where are they going to find the space to build a flood defence wide enough to put a 4 lane road along both sides of the river?

Thats an easyone..... In Bangkok..! clap2.gif

I'll rephrase then:

I suppose that's were the land expropriation part mentioned in the OP comes into play.

A billion dollars for a bike path?

While they're at it, they could change the name of Bangkok to Boondoggle.....

No, not for a bike path only.

According to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), the bike lane is part of its 30-billion baht project to construct a riverside roadway for pollution free mass transport, riding, walking and pleasure.

I'll rephrase then:

I suppose that's were the land expropriation part mentioned in the OP comes into play.

Skyscapers. Hotels. Bridges. That's going to be some pretty serious land expropriation.

• Like 2

Anyone the least bit familiar with the Chao Praya waterfront in the Saphan Taksin to Tha Chang (Grand Palace) piers stretch will see there's little or no available real estate to run this "highway to happiness"

There are hotels, markets and homes along the route.

I can just imagine the elite guests at the Shangri La and Oriental hotels watching happy cyclists and horse drawn carriages roll by filled with laughing tourists, while they sip their gin and tonics by the pool.

attachicon.gifbang rak.jpg

Saphan Taksin northwards along the river's east bank..

The Shangri La is in lower part next to bridge, Oriental, much smaller, towards top.

there will be a lot of unhappy hotels!

A billion dollars for a bike path?

While they're at it, they could change the name of Bangkok to Boondoggle.....

No, not for a bike path only.

For folks who are unclear about spending 30 billion baht, they do plan on building actual roads to decrease congestion. 30 billion baht is not be just for bike path and recreational area, I believe there will be at least 30 km of roads for cars the runs along the river side to ease conegestions around the Nonthaburi area. There was an article talking about this earlier in the year.

Each riverside roadway will be 16 metres wide or equivalent to a four-lane traffic road. The roadway will be divided to two lanes for pollution free mass transport project, one bike lane and one lane for walking, recreation, and exercise.

Don't they mean 'Each riverside roadway will be 16 metres wide or equivalent to a four-lane traffic road. The roadway will be divided to two lanes for whoever wants to drive whatever vehicle, one motorbike lane and one lane for motorbikes.'?

Edited by jamesbrock