American Move to Canada and Social Security, Mediare etc

I am pondering moving out of the USA. I grew up here, had a decent career, but now as I near retirement I am looking at things in a different light. My best friend moved to Canada. I know he has residency, not sure if he has Canadian citizenship. I know he gets social security so I presume he is still an American, just permanently residing in Canada. Has anybody here been through the social security, medicare process after moving out of the USA, either just residing out of the USA or maybe now a citizen of another country?

Thanks

It's not so easy to emigrate to Canada as a retiree. Canada has a point system to establish qualification for landed immigrant status. It counts things like level of education, ability to speak both of the national languages of Canada, income/assets, and so on. Like most countries that accept immigrants they are looking for people who can contribute, which usually means working. Google "landed immigrant" to read about the criteria.

If the OP succeeds in immigrating to Canada he won't want to bother with US Medicare since the Canadian healthcare system covers everyone after six months of residency including pre-existing conditions. It is a far better system than Medicare. He will certainly get his Social Security.