Got a Raspberry Pi B+ Now what should I do with it?

IMHO

I was intrigued by this little thing, so bought one.

My initial vision is to create a MAME console out of - I got into arcade games when I was in the 'States studying, and have missed them since. The problem is, while I have the Pi, it's probably going to be into the new year before the joysticks/buttons/USB interface I've ordered for the project get here from China.

Any cool/interesting things I could get it doing in the meantime?

LibRetro or RetroArch for a MAME type emulator.

My projects so far:

A Tor router for anonymous browsing

A wifi repeater (taking free public wifi and then broadcasting over a private hotspot)

An OpenVPN server

A NAS/Torrent host

A C64 emulator

A live *3D* nature camera (Had to code my own video encoder for that one, best project yet).

Or course, XBMC Live TV relay

A Windows "thin client"

Steam game streaming using Limelight

Playstation3 mouse and keyboard adapter

Next tinkerings include;

A replacement for my Slingbox

A replacement for Samsung SmartTV interface

A VR headset with display driver

Hope that gives you some inspiration smile.png

Actually, a C64 emu was the very first idea that crossed my mind - I even sent an email out to our UK and AU staff asking if one of them had a C64 chassis I could buy - the idea being to gut it and retrofit the Pi inside :)

Yeah, unfortunately all the geeks that work for us treat their C64's like some kind of irreplaceable family heirloom, and won't let go of them. Some of them were quite ferocious about my plan to gut their sacred machine, LOL.

No foul, I never had one, I just thought it was a cool retro computer with plenty of chassis space for a retrofit ;)

Not yet, i'll update you tomorrow though :)

I've been jonesing for a few weekend projects, something along the lines of building Pi SD card images set up for those of us who do not have as much exposure. This of course would be peer reviewed by other community Linux/Pi people for security reasons. Although half the challenge is doing this stuff, I understand the urge to play DigDug again :)