Gasohol Damaged Bike.

mike100

As you say, it is likely the o-ring that is ethanol incompatable.

Note my earlier post that some Buna seals swell 6000% in E-10

that is not a typo

If you have a fiberglass tank, or fiberglass repaired hole, E-10 will soften some reisns and cause a leak. Normally not an issue in cars or bikes, but some boats use glass tanks.

• 1 month later...

The clean air argument is a pitiful joke in a country where diesels spew black soot at will without punitity.

If ethanol is no cheaper to the consumer, and ethanol producers are subsidsed by the government by 2.5 B liter,

who is the winner?

A more sceptical individual would wonder who owns the ethanol companies, why the government is set on withdrawing petrol when not all Thai vehicles are E-10 compatable.

The question -

"Who is the winner ?" - deserves a response ! The winners are the Thai "farmers" !

NOT the worthy people who toil in the fields to produce the sugar cane and tapioca from which ethanol is processed - those are the REAL farmers who scrape together a poor living as we so often read about ....

BUT the wealthy landowners - the absentee farmers - on whose ground the stuff is grown and harvested - and the processing plants where the same stuff is converted into the ethanol that goes into gasohol.

And as to "Why the government is set on ..... " this unseemingly hasty change to gasohol ? Ask yourself - "Which government ?" And that may answer a lot of - or even all - the questions.

Is there a parallel here with a certain airport that HAD to open on September 28 ........ ?

>

>If it damaged the carb and did it that quick it would have probably been from the plastic float melting >is my guess, some bikes may have floats that arent compatable with e10 or may have been rebuilt >with non OE floats.

Also fuel lines may be damaged. I've had to replace plastic/rubber fuel lines on my 94 Jeep.

If you have an older non-electronic carburator engine (I have one with SU carbs) , timing needs adjusting. Actually I need to tune the engine about every 5000kms, I think due to the inconsistancy of the fuel being sold here. I have a another vehicle with electronics and fuel injection and it seems to run OK on the various fuels. But the older cars and classics don't like these fuel changes.