Bangkok shakedown: Tourists report increased harassment by police

webfact

"I don't want to carry stinky cigaret butts with me, after all i'm a quality tourist as well as an international consultant."

Another genius who didn't know nicotine was addictive? I don't know how old you are, but even when I was a kid, packs of cigarettes had Cancer warning labels.

So to sum up, you disregarded the advice of scientists and physicians who warned you that nicotine was addictive and causes cancer (this has been known since the 1930's). You have no problems exhaling second hand smoke into the environment and polluting the air. But you think carrying your used butts is "too stinky".

Like I said....5555+

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walked through the alleged shakedown zone twice today. No police in sight.

Both the police and the army are becoming famous for a lack of follow up. A crackdown, then nothing. Sometimes that is a good thing. In the case of the jet ski scammers, the Samui taxis, the beach clean ups, etc., sometimes not.

The jet ski scammers were allowed back on the beach because they told the Junta they would have to resort to crime (a paradox) to make a living.

Edited by hughben

Well,, granted,, my solution is NOT perfect, as it's still considered littering,,, but when I smoked here,, (quit cold for 5 months) But it's easy,,, you simply roll the butt between your fingers, near the "hot" end,,, the remaining tobacco/cherry will drop off,,, can be done while walking, or stopped, and ground into the street,, then put the remaining butt/filter in the pack,,, toss them when you find a bin,,, IF stopped?,,,, simply open the pack, show them, "That was someone else's, here's mine",,,, or even carry a couple extras in case,,

Well,, granted,, my solution is NOT perfect, as it's still considered littering,,, but when I smoked here,, (quit cold for 5 months) But it's easy,,, you simply roll the butt between your fingers, near the "hot" end,,, the remaining tobacco/cherry will drop off,,, can be done while walking, or stopped, and ground into the street,, then put the remaining butt/filter in the pack,,, toss them when you find a bin,,, IF stopped?,,,, simply open the pack, show them, "That was someone else's, here's mine",,,, or even carry a couple extras in case,,

Mate the ploblem is not the cigaret butt, it is the fact that there is no bin. And there is no bin (or ashtray) so they have something to distort us. They won't do that to a Thai.

Also i have no problem with a drugtest or visa-check. But i refuse to pee in a cup in public or let a RTP-officer plant something on me.

If you eat a roll with poppyseeds on it the drugtest will show that you used drugs. If you had been smoking mariuhana legally in the USA or Amsterdam you also will be guilty.

Of course they know where to find the real drugdealers (koh phangan) but that's another story.

Mate the ploblem is not the cigaret butt, it is the fact that there is no bin. And there is no bin (or ashtray) so they have something to distort us. They won't do that to a Thai.

Also i have no problem with a drugtest or visa-check. But i refuse to pee in a cup in public or let a RTP-officer plant something on me.

If you eat a roll with poppyseeds on it the drugtest will show that you used drugs. If you had been smoking mariuhana legally in the USA or Amsterdam you also will be guilty.

Of course they know where to find the real drugdealers (koh phangan) but that's another story.

Ya,, I got ya,,, but not giving them a REASON to extort $2000 from a smoker, will go along way to keeping a lot from getting stopped,, A dropped butt,, is an easy $2000 for them,,, OH and btw, while you're here,, lemme call my buddy, "Somchai" He'd like to have a word with you,, search you,,, Dropping a butt is GIVING them a "valid" excuse to stop you....

"The fine is 2000 for dropping ciggy butts on the floor"

Just think of it as a tax on Stupid selfish slobs...

If you put a ciggy butt in something that looks like a binbag which happens to be on the street then you also have to pay 2000 baht.

Even if you put one in a drain the cops will pick another butt from the street and then that was yours. 2000 baht.

Here's a brilliant idea:

Go into Tesco or 7-11 and buy a metal tin of mints, something that's small enough to fit in your pocket.

You know, Altoids or something similar:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0c/6e/7a/0c6e7ae949797b7c63f35e6ab7b40de7.jpg

I can't imagine it would be more than 100B.

Dump out the mints. Carry the empty tin around with you everywhere. When you finish your cancer stick, take the tin out of your pocket and put the butt in the tin. Put the tin back in your pocket.

Bada bing, bada boom! You've just saved 1900B.

You're welcome.

Like I said, the littering fine is a tax on stupid, inconsiderate slobs...

Or get a portable ashtray. They sell them in those 60 baht shops.

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

My pal just returned from BKK last week and he said he saw a lot of stop and checks between soi three and soi 19 but he just presumed they were valid passport checks and maybe they were. My other pal who I have not seen for three years but with whom I met up recently told me the time before last he was in BKK he was stopped in a taxi around 2am around surawong and the police found 15 Es for which he had to pay 10 to 15 K Baht. They confiscated the Es for themselves.

Your pal was a lucky boy! It was good for him that the cops were corrupt, or he'd still be doing time in the Hilton!

Well in this case the cops caught the right guy. While I think random checks are unfounded and should not occur, if he had ecstasy on him then obviously he was breaking the law and the cops were in the right to fine him, having said that in less corrupt countries he would have been arrested and then a court would have handed down either a fine or perhaps a prison sentence. But Thailand being what it is, you pay off the police and are let free.

If they'd of nicked him he could have done a bit of time for 15 E's

Bangkok, like London and most of Europe: at the weekend hundreds of thousands do E etc. The cops know it. A whole related business and supported sub culture worth millions is related to it. That's why the piss test is so despicable. All manner of people from all walks of life high and low use recreational drugs. If they keep to themselves then leave them alone. I like a drink but know it is booze that causes most social problems especially violence. They promote Amazing Thailand as a fun place using imagery and music right out of the 'party and dance' scene and then try to use it against us. And they use the same laws to intimidate and control poor Thais.

"I don't want to carry stinky cigaret butts with me, after all i'm a quality tourist as well as an international consultant."

Another genius who didn't know nicotine was addictive? I don't know how old you are, but even when I was a kid, packs of cigarettes had Cancer warning labels.

So to sum up, you disregarded the advice of scientists and physicians who warned you that nicotine was addictive and causes cancer (this has been known since the 1930's). You have no problems exhaling second hand smoke into the environment and polluting the air. But you think carrying your used butts is "too stinky".

Like I said....5555+

only your 13th post and already pumped full of preachy trolling! congrats!

Bangkok NANA

TODAY Tuesday 16 th was in Nana visit friend had backpack on and live in PATTAYA. Stopping for a cigarette I see a dirty looking police officer LOL sitting with some dirtier taxi motorbikes. Thinking nothing of it I walked off on phone and to my suprise this police or rat approaches me !

Asking ME TO COME WITH HIM !

Where you from bla bla

Australia and my mate is police commander here

Which he is !

YOU BREAK LAW COME WITH ME

NO NO I NOT GOING ANYWHERE BUDDY

YES YOU COME TALK MY BOSS

NO SORRY I STAY HERE

All of a sudden this chimps radio goes SAYING LET HIM GO !!

So off I went and I promise you those monkeys won't get 2 baht from me

Are you sure it was a real policeman or a litter police pretending to be a real cop?

Do real cops really stop people for littering?

I don't want to carry stinky cigaret butts with me, after all i'm a quality tourist as well as an international consultant. My pockets are full of plastic money and keys, no space for a portable ashtray....solly krab.

You already smell like a stinky cigarette butt after you had your smoke so you already are carrying it around....maybe not the cigarette but the smell whistling.gif

Edited by bbi1

Bangkok NANA

TODAY Tuesday 16 th was in Nana visit friend had backpack on and live in PATTAYA. Stopping for a cigarette I see a dirty looking police officer LOL sitting with some dirtier taxi motorbikes. Thinking nothing of it I walked off on phone and to my suprise this police or rat approaches me !

Where you from bla bla

Which he is !

NO SORRY I STAY HERE

At last. An actual first-hand report, on topic post. Thank you. Makes a nice change from the bickering and backbiting that this thread has become

Ok, Mr. Johnson.......here's another just for you. I posted this on a similar TV thread two weeks ago but I dug it up and will post it here as well.

I had been out on 1 December, a Monday night , and I was leaving Soi Cowboy around 12:30am (now technically Tuesday morning) and walked down Soi 23 out to Sukhumvit. I looked right and saw about 3-4 Bib searching two farangs. I was headed outbound so just kept walking. Then I heard a Thai telling me to stop. I didn't stop but just kept walking. I know he repeated himself a couple of times. Finally he caught up to me and tugged on the bag I was carrying. He then told me to stop which I did. He said he wanted to look at my bag. I said "no". He looked puzzled. He asked again to search my bag. I again said "no". Then we stood and looked at each other. I told him I was going. He said "no". I began walking away and after a few steps he got in front of me and said I had to stop and search bag. He then yelled at one of his group to come over which he did rather quickly. This other policeman then also asked to check my bag. I said ok. Are you ready? I went out running earlier in the evening. Inside was all of my sweaty, wet, running clothes that were wrapped up in plastic bags. Up until this time I spoke English. Then I spoke Thai to them and produced one sweaty towel in a plastic bag. I asked them if it stunk (he said yes). Then I produced a pair of running shoes in a plastic bag and held it up to his nose and asked if it stunk (he said yes). Then I produced a plastic bag containing my T-shirt, shorts, and socks and held it up to his nose and asked him if it stunk (he said yes) and laughed. I showed him my stick of deodorant and that was it. I told him I wasn't carrying any ya-ba, heroin, or ganja. He did ask if I had a passport. I said yes but not with me but if they like they can come home with me and check it. That was it. I wanted to comply with them but I also didn't want them to get it so easily. I wanted to make them work a bit. The only thing I was worried about was the police planting something on me. They did not ask me to empty my pockets at any time which surprised me.

Your pals experience rather justifies police stopping falangs and searching them doesn't it?

The informal fines are maybe another matter...

If only it were about law enforcement, maybe we would not object as strongly. But, we all know law enforcement is the last thing on these revenue collectors minds. These guys are not law enforcement officers, they are revenue collection agents.

Bangkok NANA

Where you from bla bla

Which he is !

NO SORRY I STAY HERE

At last. An actual first-hand report, on topic post. Thank you. Makes a nice change from the bickering and backbiting that this thread has become

Ok, Mr. Johnson.......here's another just for you. I posted this on a similar TV thread two weeks ago but I dug it up and will post it here as well.

I had been out on 1 December, a Monday night , and I was leaving Soi Cowboy around 12:30am (now technically Tuesday morning) and walked down Soi 23 out to Sukhumvit. I looked right and saw about 3-4 Bib searching two farangs. I was headed outbound so just kept walking. Then I heard a Thai telling me to stop. I didn't stop but just kept walking. I know he repeated himself a couple of times. Finally he caught up to me and tugged on the bag I was carrying. He then told me to stop which I did. He said he wanted to look at my bag. I said "no". He looked puzzled. He asked again to search my bag. I again said "no". Then we stood and looked at each other. I told him I was going. He said "no". I began walking away and after a few steps he got in front of me and said I had to stop and search bag. He then yelled at one of his group to come over which he did rather quickly. This other policeman then also asked to check my bag. I said ok. Are you ready? I went out running earlier in the evening. Inside was all of my sweaty, wet, running clothes that were wrapped up in plastic bags. Up until this time I spoke English. Then I spoke Thai to them and produced one sweaty towel in a plastic bag. I asked them if it stunk (he said yes). Then I produced a pair of running shoes in a plastic bag and held it up to his nose and asked if it stunk (he said yes). Then I produced a plastic bag containing my T-shirt, shorts, and socks and held it up to his nose and asked him if it stunk (he said yes) and laughed. I showed him my stick of deodorant and that was it. I told him I wasn't carrying any ya-ba, heroin, or ganja. He did ask if I had a passport. I said yes but not with me but if they like they can come home with me and check it. That was it. I wanted to comply with them but I also didn't want them to get it so easily. I wanted to make them work a bit. The only thing I was worried about was the police planting something on me. They did not ask me to empty my pockets at any time which surprised me.

Well that's a well detailed account. I don't doubt that this going on. I simply am amazed at how these threads degenerate into slanging matches and 'he said/she said. But thanks all the same for another first-hand account. It sounds like a case if airing your dirty laundry in public was very effective! Well done.

If I continue to be stopped by police which US agency do I contact to file a complaint?

Life Line.
Or just stop spending my money in Thailand, problem solved.
Good idea.

Do you think they will notice?

Notice a drop in tourism? That's not my problem. Maybe they can call Life Line when the Thai economy is on life support, lol.

If I continue to be stopped by police which US agency do I contact to file a complaint?

Life Line.
Or just stop spending my money in Thailand, problem solved.
Good idea.

Do you think they will notice?

Notice a drop in tourism? That's not my problem. Maybe they can call Life Line when the Thai economy is on life support, lol.

Good idea.

Ps; don't forget to vote for Jingthing.

Like I said....5555+

You count posts?

I don't know why this is news. Been happening for years and years.blink.png

I cannot imagine anyone that knows anything about Thailand not resenting such a B.S. remark...

Anyone that knows anything about the area in question knows that the remark is accurate.

Police ID checks/searches have been a fact of life round those parts for many years. The recent hysteria around the issue has just brought it to more people's attention.

Your "recent hysteria" explanation is contrived solely by you. I know the area well and this was not a big problem in the past. The absence of it was frequently a point of upbeat discussion when people compared going out for a good time here as opposed to other countries.

I don't know why this is news. Been happening for years and years.blink.png

I cannot imagine anyone that knows anything about Thailand not resenting such a B.S. remark...

Anyone that knows anything about the area in question knows that the remark is accurate.

Police ID checks/searches have been a fact of life round those parts for many years. The recent hysteria around the issue has just brought it to more people's attention.

Your "recent hysteria" explanation is contrived solely by you. I know the area well and this was not a big problem in the past. The absence of it was frequently a point of upbeat discussion when people compared going out for a good time here as opposed to other countries.

Well I've lived in the area since 2005 and can assure you that police stop and searches have been a regular part of life here. Have a read of Stickman and you'll see - he's been reporting cases almost every week for years!

Edited by brewsterbudgen

You count posts?

Just because someone stays glued to their computer all day racking up posts on TV doesn't mean that someone with very few posts doesn't have something valid to contribute. I joined TV in 2004 yet have amassed 86 posts. Obviously I'm doing other things and not always on TV. With that said, I've worked in Bangkok for 12 years but have been coming to BKK since 1983. Perhaps our 13 post friend just doesn't post much but maybe has lived here continuously for 40 years. Who knows??

• 3 weeks later...

Spidermike

You are a complete monkey and I think your a racist goose buddy.. I live here and was visiting my partner in BKK. I laso have friends police and this fucktard was having a crack to see what he could get. You must be a fan are you. I had 1q23 pro fights all around the world. Climb back into your cage goose

Having lived in Bangkok for most of 2003-2008 I can tell you that this was never happening then, and no one was talking about it. Rarely (very rarely) a person was asked to pay a fine for littering, but that was it.

I have never been stopped by police in Bangkok or country Thailand, in over 30 ears of visiting or living in the country, ever! Never a licence check when riding a motorcycle, and I've ridden over a lot of the country, never asked for ID. It may be widespread, but that's not my experience.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Having lived in Bangkok for most of 2003-2008 I can tell you that this was never happening then, and no one was talking about it. Rarely (very rarely) a person was asked to pay a fine for littering, but that was it.

I have never been stopped by police in Bangkok or country Thailand, in over 30 ears of visiting or living in the country, ever! Never a licence check when riding a motorcycle, and I've ridden over a lot of the country, never asked for ID. It may be widespread, but that's not my experience.

You are a chick that's why.