Ducati Diavel Dark. Review.

Shurup

Great post Shurup! Thanks for the early review. I always somehow was under the impression the Diavel would be the most comfy ride with its wide tire and cruiserish style. But of course the powerhouse disagrees with that :) How is the stock exhaust by the way? The few Diavels I've seen had aftermarket cans which were sending shockwaves through bystanders bodies :D

Congrats on the bike!

Thinking of ordering panniers and a passenger backrest for the longer trips, planning a trip to Chiang Mai my next month off and my wife wants to ride with me now rather than riding her Ninja, it's not so hot for her any longer.

We rode the new bike together to Phetchabun and she had to hug me all the time, I was afraid she would fall off if I'm not careful. I like hugging, don't get me wrong, but I hated when our helmets bump all the time, it's so annoying, also her hugging was putting more weight on my butt and I was getting sore there all the time and had to take frequent breaks.

It looks like the panniers and the backrest are simple enough to install and take off so I can quickly return the bike to the nice original look. Also want a better windscreen for touring but they're not available for 2015 model yet so it will have to wait.

Great post Shurup! Thanks for the early review. I always somehow was under the impression the Diavel would be the most comfy ride with its wide tire and cruiserish style. But of course the powerhouse disagrees with that :) How is the stock exhaust by the way? The few Diavels I've seen had aftermarket cans which were sending shockwaves through bystanders bodies :D

Congrats on the bike!

The stock exhaust is totally fine with me, nice sound and everything but I'm not a big fan of engine mods and prefer a stock look. If I was trying to squeeze a few more horses out of the bike I'd be changing parts now but it already got more than enough power.

Had the diavel carbon for 9 months now love it you need to get the o2 manipulator or a tunny fro the low down rev range i have a shift etc stage 3 on mine love the sound of it but yes does set off car alarms makes the earth shake etc,if you want carbon fibre bits limburger in austria is about the best.

• Like 2

Had the diavel carbon for 9 months now love it you need to get the o2 manipulator or a tunny fro the low down rev range i have a shift etc stage 3 on mine love the sound of it but yes does set off car alarms makes the earth shake etc,if you want carbon fibre bits limburger in austria is about the best.

Thanks but I like this dark color scheme, even if a Ducati carbon was the same price, I'd still choose the Diavel dark.

Do you have this weird thing with your transmission when you shift from 5th to 6th or back 6 to 5, and you don't click the shifter hard enough, it kind of goes into the Neutral? It doesn't happen often but it did happen to me a number of times. There is no N between the 5th and 6th but it feels like it at those times, you up or down shift, release the clutch, give it gas and it just revs up? I have to click it up or down again at those times. The funny thing is, no matter how hard I try I can't find that "Neutral".

Thanks but I like this dark color scheme, even if a Ducati carbon was the same price, I'd still choose the Diavel dark.

Do you have this weird thing with your transmission when you shift from 5th to 6th or back 6 to 5, and you don't click the shifter hard enough, it kind of goes into the Neutral? It doesn't happen often but it did happen to me a number of times. There is no N between the 5th and 6th but it feels like it at those times, you up or down shift, release the clutch, give it gas and it just revs up? I have to click it up or down again at those times. The funny thing is, no matter how hard I try I can't find that "Neutral".

i own a dark diavel since 2012 ,for the transmission it will work fine after some mileage and for the "neutral" u need to work soft to find the right click.shurup you can find a good infomation from Diavel-forum

congrats shurup.

for the tranny, just give it some time for break in, it will get smoother, if not after 3000 km, visit the ducati dealer.

for suspension, lots of videos over internet but you can basically start with measuring your sag and adjusting it accordingly first.

read some forums too sure you can find a lot of info about it as well. ducati guys also can help.

surprised for 14 liters tank. Sure range will be an issue - not even 200 km i think if ridden hard - still there is a petrol station at every 10 km in Thailand.

it is a great bike man, if i was looking for a cruiser, sure go for it too. it is a lot capable than what people think actually.

happy and safe rides.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

Very cool bike Shurup, congts manthumbsup.gif what a bike, holy Moses.

Did you try the Hyperstrada?

I read a test in a hard copy bike magazine that the Diavel is the bike a 1000cc sports biker buy when he is tired of the sports bike riding position.

Nope I didn't test the Hyper but I still want to. Maybe when I'm down to Pattaya I will take it for a spin, didn't want to try anything in BKK traffic.

The bike is very very comfy (when riding alone), but the sports bikers might be disappointed by not being able to squeeze between the cars in a traffic, it's noticeably wider than the sports bike but not as bad as a cruiser. However there's a fix for this too, the handlebars can be replaced or modified.

Something is wrong and i would talk to ducati asap. You shouldnt have to shift differently between 5&6 then any other gears....

congrats shurup.

for the tranny, just give it some time for break in, it will get smoother, if not after 3000 km, visit the ducati dealer.

for suspension, lots of videos over internet but you can basically start with measuring your sag and adjusting it accordingly first.

read some forums too sure you can find a lot of info about it as well. ducati guys also can help.

surprised for 14 liters tank. Sure range will be an issue - not even 200 km i think if ridden hard - still there is a petrol station at every 10 km in Thailand.

it is a great bike man, if i was looking for a cruiser, sure go for it too. it is a lot capable than what people think actually.

happy and safe rides.

Yup, if ridden hard, it won't make it 200 km.

I live just over 100 km from Korat and when I went for a 1st oil change, I filled up the tank, changed the oil and rode it back. I passed many fuel stations on my way but passed them all as I wanted to make it to the station near my house which sells Benzine 95. I wanted fill up with Benzine before I park it for a month...

Well, I didn't make it... Run out of fuel 5 km from the house! Called my wife to send someone to bring me some fuel and when I finally showed up at the station near my home and told them I want full tank of Benzine, they said MOOT. Damn! Left the bike with Gasohol in it.

• Like 1

Glad you are happy with the bike mate!

Let me know if you pop up this way at all (pattaya).

I will, I usually visit Pattaya once a month when I'm on my days off.

I hope you get loud external speakers fitted to the Diavel so you can play "welcome to the jungle" when you reach Pattaya. haha

Something is wrong and i would talk to ducati asap. You shouldnt have to shift differently between 5&6 then any other gears....

Any time I try to replicate the problem, I can't, maybe hard to explain to them what is happening and it only happened 4 times I think.

Will take it back to Ducati if it happens again.

congrats shurup.

happy and safe rides.

Yup, if ridden hard, it won't make it 200 km.

I live just over 100 km from Korat and when I went for a 1st oil change, I filled up the tank, changed the oil and rode it back. I passed many fuel stations on my way but passed them all as I wanted to make it to the station near my house which sells Benzine 95. I wanted fill up with Benzine before I park it for a month...

Well, I didn't make it... Run out of fuel 5 km from the house! Called my wife to send someone to bring me some fuel and when I finally showed up at the station near my home and told them I want full tank of Benzine, they said MOOT. Damn! Left the bike with Gasohol in it.

Try to fill once you see the fuel light. Petrol pump needs petrol in the tank for cooling issues all i know

Man great bike again whatever.

Awesome pictures, really loving it. I was checking out this bike too, I'm in the market for one now. Still deciding between the ducati, Yamaha, and Kawasaki. As we get older, my tastes are leaving the supersport area, and more into the nakeds. The rougher looking they are, the better laugh.png .

The kawi got some strong engines, but not sure if the spiderman look will age well.

So will probably settle for the duc or Yamaha.

Great Bike!

Awesome pictures, really loving it. I was checking out this bike too, I'm in the market for one now. Still deciding between the ducati, Yamaha, and Kawasaki. As we get older, my tastes are leaving the supersport area, and more into the nakeds. The rougher looking they are, the better laugh.png .

The kawi got some strong engines, but not sure if the spiderman look will age well.

Great Bike!

Thanks!

What Yamaha are you thinking? Is there a model that has similar riding position as the diavel?

I saw a pix of one with bags and backrest a while back and it's just out of character with the bike. Maybe there a quick fit/remove so you only use em when you need them.

Wife is ordering the bracket with bags and backrest right now. The guy said I have to bring the bike in to install it, I was just hopping they can shop it all to my home so I can install myself, hopefully it's not as complicated as he makes it sound. I want to be able to install and remove all this junk as I need and when I need, not going to ride this bike around town looking like chopper wanna be. It looks really good the way it is and I'd like to keep it that way most of the time.

A few pictures.

Sales guy explaining a few features and controls on the bike.

attachicon.gif20141204_100713.jpg

attachicon.gif20141204_102234.jpg

attachicon.gif20141204_102254.jpg

Me on the bike, ready to roll. Don't know how the sales guy took this one but it's out of focus.

I switched to another, full head helmet by the way after I got out of BKK, my wife was driving a car with some of my other gear.

attachicon.gif20141204_105124.jpg

That is one sweet ride love it.{helmet choice will have some kids on here making nasty comments to you but good for you as its youre choice!!

Edited by speedthrills

That is one sweet ride love it.{helmet choice will have some kids on here making nasty comments to you but good for you as its youre choice!!

Thanks!

But frankly I'm all for the full face helmet as well, I wear the pot helmet only for slow city riding and for short low speed trips. Any major trip you won't see me wearing this.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Awesome pictures, really loving it. I was checking out this bike too, I'm in the market for one now. Still deciding between the ducati, Yamaha, and Kawasaki. As we get older, my tastes are leaving the supersport area, and more into the nakeds. The rougher looking they are, the better laugh.png.pagespeed.ce.SDkxrRtekav6UDUdl width=20 alt=laugh.png> .

Great Bike!

Thanks!

What Yamaha are you thinking? Is there a model that has similar riding position as the diavel?

Since you already bought the diavel, the ones I am looking at will not please you laugh.png

But for the comparative model from Yamaha, you can google image Yamaha Vmax.

I'm still deciding on the displacement I am looking for, just casual easy going, but still have the muscle for occasional fun.

MT-09 or MT-07

Kawasaki Z800 (not likely)