Who's in Chiang Mai?

RubberSideDown

I will possibly be up there next week through Christmas- a friend is making some deliveries and I might toss my bike on the truck if there's room (I don't have the time to ride there as it would be two pretty long days in the saddle, and then two days back;)).

I don't really know the area well at all. Are there any regular organized rides or meet-ups (or perhaps we can set one up)? A fairly quick pace is fine with me, but I'll go with the flow. Early morning is no problem.

I'm still not 100%, but it's looking promising.

You should contact Mania. He lives up there in the city, though I'm not sure if he's there right now. If he doesn't see this and you want his number, then let me know.

Think mania sold his bike but still a good person to contact.

Yes he did, but like you say, a good person to contact, as he knows about everything up there.

No offense to you or any GTR members, but I won't be going on any of their official rides due to an issue I had a couple months ago. If we were to happen to meet up under other circumstances, it would be a different story.;)

• Like 1

RSD

Yes as Yankee & Mac knew I sold my bike recently

For sure if your in CM the one worth riding is Samoeng loop

http://www.gt-rider.com/tour-options/chiang-mai-thailand/touring-loops-day-rides/the-samoeng-loop

I always preferred entering from Hangdong side running it till roughly before the elephant camp

turning around & going back the same way.

That has way less cars as you do not enter the tourist areas.

Also along the way is a junction & you can drop down into Samoeng town proper if you like adds only

10-15 total to ride but has some nice turns or turn up the mountain at the little cop station & continue to that elephant camp

Have Fun

• Like 1

PS: here are two simple maps

The first has detail the 2nd just shows the turn points I mentioned.

But the whole loop is a nice ride...just depends what your into whether or not you

want to go to the tourist side & Mon Jam etc.

Is a good time of year...cool & fresh strawberries for sale.

post-82547-0-43398900-1418475033_thumb.j

post-82547-0-02494000-1418475046_thumb.j

• Like 1

Replying just so I can follow this topic.

I'm planning a bike trip to Chiang Mai end of Jan - beginning of Feb, so will need some advice on the places to visit and things to see.

I it won't sidetrack this topic very much, can anyone suggest a nice scenic way to Chiang Mai? Which highways to take and which to avoid?

I will be traveling from Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima) and I don't want to take a straight road to and from Chaing Mai.

I arrived in CM last night (my bike arrived earlier in the day- not a scratch- Ancra straps and a Canyon Dancer II are well worth the small investment).

My plan was to ride mania's route suggestion this morning, but the wife wanted my daughter to see a strawberry farm, so I took the car (we actually had fun once my daughter finished puking all over the place and her stomach settled down...). We went as far as the Napa Phupa farm- I counted eleven decreasing radius turns with elevation changes (that will be an adventure on my large bike), four of which came in quick succession, plus many other fairly tight turns- the section I drove was more technical than I expected (I ended up turning around and heading back the same way, but the other half looks much faster). Great stuff, but I can see it biting you hard if you don't respect it.

If I have the chance, I will ride it tomorrow- I'm digging CM so far.;)

• Like 1

Yes a very technical ride which is why it was pretty much my main ride.

many Decreasing radius turns, some uphill sweepers, very tight steep downhill 180's & uphill if you take the route I

suggested then double back. Plus some fast left,right sections that are most excellent.

Great ride really !

Have fun, be safe, get your feet wet & do it a few times. Gets better & better once familiar

as to what is around next bend as you know ;)

• Like 1

i also recommend this route if you have time RSD.

from CM to Nan. Dont miss Phayao too. One of the coolest cities in Thailand with a great sunset over the lake.

Nan is also one of my favorite cities. - personally dont fancy Chiang Mai and find it boring if more than a day there as i believe cities like Phayao or Nan are relentlessly underrated up North like CM is the only city there.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/dir/Chiang+Mai,+Mueang+Chiang+Mai+District,+Chiang+Mai/Nan/@18.9250339,99.9262611,10z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x30da3a7e90bb6f5d:0x98d46270a59b4367!2m2!1d98.9817163!2d18.7060641!3m4!1m2!1d100.1286721!2d19.3380512!3s0x30d789016f7f4637:0xf765c372ae00c07!1m5!1m1!1s0x31278e090e1d6dbb:0xb8082b1388695c0!2m2!1d100.7730417!2d18.7756318!3e0

or short cut which is better:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/dir/Chiang+Mai,+Mueang+Chiang+Mai+District,+Chiang+Mai/Nan/@19.100152,100.0141517,12z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x30da3a7e90bb6f5d:0x98d46270a59b4367!2m2!1d98.9817163!2d18.7060641!3m4!1m2!1d100.247543!2d18.9494308!3s0x30d83e32996cdbe7:0x7f449798d7a7e119!1m5!1m1!1s0x31278e090e1d6dbb:0xb8082b1388695c0!2m2!1d100.7730417!2d18.7756318!3e0

lots of curves, great scenery, waterfalls, good eateries and technical and demanding roads at times for a zx14r but sure good fun!

enjoy.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

PS: here are two simple maps

The first has detail the 2nd just shows the turn points I mentioned.

But the whole loop is a nice ride...just depends what your into whether or not you

want to go to the tourist side & Mon Jam etc.

Is a good time of year...cool & fresh strawberries for sale.

attachicon.gifsamoeng loop2.jpg

attachicon.gifsamoengloop.jpg

This looks great thumbsup.gif I'm riding to CM at the end of the month, plan to do the CM, Chiang Rai, Nan "loop" taking in the 1148 but this looks perfect for a cool early morning ride while staying in CM.

• Like 1

This looks great thumbsup.gif I'm riding to CM at the end of the month, plan to do the CM, Chiang Rai, Nan "loop" taking in the 1148 but this looks perfect for a cool early morning ride while staying in CM.

JonnyF, can you recommend some roads to CM? Any highways to take, any to avoid? I will be riding there end of next months and I don't want to just take a straight road there and back, a whole point of riding there is to see things and to enjoy the trip.

Definitely worth a look Jonny

The CM> Chiangrai is good in sections with enough to keep you

interested...albeit many WFO sections which is not as interesting.

If you get a chance to turn off 118 onto 120 it does offer a very nice section

with twisting climb that then descends to Phayao...You can then also hook back into ChiangRai

via 1091 without a full retrace

The Nan loop I do often but only with truck via hwy-11 & 101 & would not think that route a great bike ride.

Yes has some good twisties but more open WFO sections than curves.

Have heard good things about the 1148 route though

post-82547-0-28249500-1418628722_thumb.j

PS: RSD this is a good ride for you too from CM to Phayao & back

Not too long (4-5 hours with lunch) & you can either turn back after decent or if with the wife head into Phayao proper & have lunch by the lake

before heading back to CM same way you came

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

Definitely worth a look Jonny

The CM> Chiangrai is good in sections with enough to keep you

interested...albeit many WFO sections which is not as interesting.

If you get a chance to turn off 118 onto 120 it does offer a very nice section

with twisting climb that then descends to Phayao...You can then also hook back into ChiangRai

via 1091 without a full retrace

The Nan loop I do often but only with truck via hwy-11 & 101 & would not think that route a great bike ride.

Yes has some good twisties but more open WFO sections than curves.

Have heard good things about the 1148 route though

attachicon.gifroute.jpg

PS: RSD this is a good ride for you too from CM to Phayao & back

Not too long (4-5 hours with lunch) & you can either turn back after decent or if with the wife head into Phayao proper & have lunch by the lake

before heading back to CM same way you came

Cool, I'll give that a go. Last time I went to CR from CM on the 107/109 through Fang, then from CR to Nan via the 1148 and then left Nan and took the 1091/1251/120/118 to get back to CM. A couple of rough bits but generally an enjoyable ride. Your route to CR looks like a good alternative as I'd prefer to try a different route this time.

I posted this pic before but this was taken on the 1091 coming out of Nan at the crack of dawn. Was pretty chilly and misty over the hills behind me, very scenic. Got a bit freaked out when the silence was broken with old church bells ringing in the distance, but then realized it was the alarm on my iPad going off in the tank bag facepalm.gif

nan_zps8b75f2ae.png

• Like 1

JonnyF, can you recommend some roads to CM? Any highways to take, any to avoid? I will be riding there end of next months and I don't want to just take a straight road there and back, a whole point of riding there is to see things and to enjoy the trip.

I've done AH2 most times just to get it out the way in a day, but I've also gone on the 21 through Petchabun and then the 12 to Phitsanulok. That route wasn't anything special to be honest, but then the ride from Phitsanulok to Nan on the 11/101 was quite enjoyable, not sure what it's like staying on the 11 all the way to CM...

As far as I know there's no great way to get there unless you go well out of your way and I generally try and get up there as fast as possible.

Hopefully someone else knows a better route...

• Like 1

I will be traveling from Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima) and I don't want to take a straight road to and from Chaing Mai.

Do not know how far out of your way you want to go, and don't know the roads in your area, but west of Udon Thani towards Loei is nice. Flattens out around Uttaradit and Lampang, and superslab once you get to Lamphun.

Looking at the map, what is 205 and 201 north of Korat like traffic wise ? Looks pretty flat.

^^

If I can sneak away that long I'll try that ride- I first thought I was coming here alone so I assumed my time would be my own- with the family it will be a couple hours at a stretch (though their being with me means I can stay longer).wink.png

No problem if you cant & to tell you the truth ...Like I said

if your all about the ride...Samoeng wink.png

• Like 1

^

If it's more of a sight-seeing ride I'd have to take the car as my wife would want to go, and she won't ride on the bike with me (she would before our daughter was born, but now she reasons- quite correctly- that we shouldn't risk having the kid lose both of us- I'm the more disposable one, I guess;)).

• Like 1

the road was very cold and damp and my TC came on several times,

You know I meant to warn you a few times & forgot because I know your an early morning rider

But until the sun warms that road it is as you say. Mainly because much of it is

shaded etc. Also to beware the shadows in the early morning as it sometimes hides

things normally seen

I usually waited till at least 9 or 10am

Yes also as you say up on the mountain it can get cold especially this time of year.

I always put my liner in since I had perfed jacket smile.png

• Like 1