Expired Passport Renewal

My wife's passport expired in 1992. She wants to take a trip to Thailand but I'm wondering what they will say about her passport being expired for over 10 years and what sort of penalties she might have to pay. Does anyone know?

Thanks,

centar

My wife's passport expired in 1992. She wants to take a trip to Thailand but I'm wondering what they will say about her passport being expired for over 10 years and what sort of penalties she might have to pay. Does anyone know?

what country is she from?

no penalties, and they won't say anything. bring the old expired one in...fill out the app and pay the processing fee.

She's Thai. She just hasn't wanted to go back for a long time now. Anyway, I got two responses, one to apply for a new passport and one to renew the old one. Which is better? As long as there aren't any stiff penalties, I'll do it either way.

You can not "renew" a passport. You either get a new one (which is what she needs to do) or you extend the original validity up to 5 years (which she can not do). Cost in Thailand for new passport is about 1,100 baht so should not be very expensive.

She's Thai. She just hasn't wanted to go back for a long time now. Anyway, I got two responses, one to apply for a new passport and one to renew the old one. Which is better? As long as there aren't any stiff penalties, I'll do it either way.

she will get a new passport, the fee should be the same as lopburi quoted plus maybe a postal fee.

what country are you both currently in? is there a visa in her old passport that is expired? then that is a different story.