Police targeting non-Thais

sfm

They took your key for what?

I got stopped (as mentioned in another thread) because I'd left my International licence at home. The policeman took my UK driving licence and let me on my way to pay the fine. The fine being valid for 4 days against getting another ticket.

It is rare to see them taking keys unless you had no valid documents for them to take.

Not sure about other countries, but they are not valid In Thailand unless accompanied by an International Driving Permit specifying the vehicle(s) you are authorised to use. Depending on the police officer, they might - just might - be accepted but don't bank on it.

Police cannot know whether you are on a short vacation or have been here for over 6 months when even the IDP is no longer valid as one is expected to get a Thai driving licence for either a bike or a car after that time. Those are separately issued e.g. one for car and one for bike.

If you're an American, go to an AAA car center and get an international drivers license. The Pattaya police accept this. The Chonburi drivers license place accepts this also and if you'll be here long term, get your Thai license. If your USA license doesn't have a motorcycle endorsement, you'll have to go through the whole test and get a separate motorbike license.

P. S. I have not taken the new written/computer test and I hear it isn't easy.

I see Thai's getting stopped everyday here in Chonburi. At every intersection is a police booth and when the light turns red out they come. I watched one pull the key from the ignition of a bike and my Thai girl friend went nuts. She said they can not do that. I said remember we are under Marshal Law, she said they are not the military. Lol Good answer.

I have been stopped twice in Pattaya and checked for License at check point. I wish they would crack down on all the darn college kids in Bang Saen running around 3 to a motorbike and no helmets. They cut across your front tire and just miss you by inches.

In how many countries are you allowed to continue after being busted without licence?

In how many countries are a EU/US license not valid for a short vacation?

there is a new standard format in the EU, but there aren't any EU licenses.

And yes - in US, you will need an international driving license.

Today again in front of the police station on beach road I saw ONLY tourists being stopped. Even with helmets on and not violating any other traffic rule.

To me a clear harassment. The police know that many of the tourists have no license. Easy prey.

When do they start to make the RENTAL BUSINESSES check for licenses ???

Oh I know already... That would kill this money making scam.

We could also ask, when will people get proper licences before renting vehicles ?

Yes, we could. But this requires personal responsibility. Some people come to Thailand and blaspheme about their nanny-home country. We see many cases were these people need indeed a nanny.

If you're an American, go to an AAA car center and get an international drivers license. The Pattaya police accept this. The Chonburi drivers license place accepts this also and if you'll be here long term, get your Thai license. If your USA license doesn't have a motorcycle endorsement, you'll have to go through the whole test and get a separate motorbike license.

P. S. I have not taken the new written/computer test and I hear it isn't easy.

Where is the closest AAA to Pattaya/Jomtien?

• Like 1

I been stopped there 2 times as well, Thai 5 year motor bike licence, copy of the green book, insuance sticker up to date, legal scooter, all ok and I am sent on my way again.

They don't bust anybody without a valid reason but yes okay it's easy for them to walk 25 meter out of the police station and set up shop and if the rain comes they will bugger off into the polece station. Easy money for city hall.

The tourist can then brag to their frinds back home that they got stopped by the police and paid 200 baht and was sent on their marry way again, I guess some of them will find that quite cool/funny.

In how many countries are you allowed to continue after being busted without licence?

The police at these locations don't take bribes. The standard fine for not having an IDP is 400 baht.

Tourists will not find this something to brag about back at home.

When you pay the fine they don't ask you for ID. They ask for your first name (verbally) and your age, and that's it. No one would have a clue who you are unless your name is on the registration papers, which is not the case with tourists.

Edited by tropo

^^

The fine ticket, once paid, gives you a couple of days grace period when showed to any other policeman while returning the bike to home or rental shop.

Do you know exactly how long this grace period is?

Edited by tropo