Police targeting Foreigner's. 3 months at Asoke/Suk...what to do now?

USAgoodMAN

Help please concerning the police targeting foreigner's?

I WAS excited to spend 2-3 months in BKK at Asoke/Sukhumvit. Plane ticket is purchased, arriving in 2.5 weeks, just after Christmas. I'm very concerned about the recent reports of police targeting foreigner's in the very area I will be staying AND WALKING ALL OVER DAILY. How can one feel comfortable for 2- 3 months walking to Terminal 21, and the soi's nearby, on a daily basis knowing the odds are good that one will be stopped and subjected to the whims of the officer that day, perhaps repeatedly, during this 2-3 months?

After traveling all over Thailand twice before, I was all set to stay put for 2-3 months in the somewhat familiar area to me of Asoke/Sukhumvit BKK on this visit. I don't HAVE to stay in this area, or BKK for that matter, but this year long planned trip now turns into a last minute scramble to find an alternative unfamiliar location to stay if plans are changed.

What would YOU do, given this reported aggressive targeting of foreigner's?

1. Switch locations to another area of BKK (walkable to BTS and mall) and spend 2- 3 months there (Any suggested areas?)?

2. Continue with plans to stay at Asoke and just go about life?

3. Cut the BKK trip short and spend 2 months in the Philippines (instead of the 3 weeks already planned)?

Background info: Traveling solo, with the intentions of just "being" comfortable in a location, rather than traveling all over doing touristy things.

Thank you very much for your help/insights. This police targeting has really put a damper on my spirits and goal of enjoying daily life in BKK, if all reports are true.

Traveling Firefighter

There has been plenty of reports about the upsurge in the stop and searchers, but no reports of anyone being fined or scammed for money (other than by the fag police) , so get a good copy of your passport done, and if your clean from drugs you should not have a problem if you are stopped.

I was in and around Sukhumvit a week ago and did not even see a police officer. You can file these false reports with the "police planting drugs in motorbikes" from non other than the ridiculous Tim Ward.

You are a genius, you know too mutt better than all the others !!!

• Like 1

C'mon. Fess up.

You're staying in the Soi Cowby/Nana area, and it sounds better to refer to it as the Asoke area. (Just giving you a hard time)

It's so easy to avoid the area and not miss a beat in Bangkok. Even if the odds of getting pestered are real low, why risk it?

So far, all the incidents I'm reading about are within 1km of the Asoke intersection, and none of them on the elevated walkway (BTS) or the underground (MRT).

Use a little judgment, and a little creativity and stay off the street level in that 1 km circle. That leave 98% of Bangkok to enjoy.

I live and work in the Asoke area and though I've seen dozens (perhaps hundreds) of police encounters in 4 years, I've never been involved. Perhaps they recognize me because they see me every day doing exactly the same routine, or maybe I'm just lucky not unlucky. Still, if anyone asked me where to stay in BKK today, I'd recommend anywhere but the Asoke area.

Edited by impulse

I was in and around Sukhumvit a week ago and did not even see a police officer. You can file these false reports with the "police planting drugs in motorbikes" from non other than the ridiculous Tim Ward.

I saw this happen a week or so ago, 615pm right near MRT asoke station on my way home from work or maybe I was hallucinating because obviously if you haven't seen it, it didn't happen lol.

• Like 1

I saw this happen a week or so ago, 615pm right near MRT asoke station on my way home from work or maybe I was hallucinating because obviously if you haven't seen it, it didn't happen lol.

Yes its amusing to hear all those who don't pass Asoke daily tell us it isn't happening when we have friends telling us they are being shook down for cash.

I'm sure those people are giving the OP great advice.

I've spent 3 days on a business trip in Bangkok and spent a lot time in the lower part of Sukhumvit incl Thonglor. I've seen some policemen but no stop/searches. I think the reports are somewhat exaggerated. I've seen a lot of tourists, actually more than I thought. So definitely plenty of tourists coming to Bangkok.

• Like 1

Ive seen and/or been checked several times at the intersection at the end of Sukhumvit soi 16. I dont think its because drugs, i suspect the ethnicity that has a school there makes sure to have regular checks at that location. Drug traffickers are not stupid. If a specific location is checked for 6 months then they can change route by just switching soi or sub soi...

Edited by BKKBobby

I have worked on Soi Asok for eleven years - always walking to and from Asok BTS/Sukhumvit MRT - and often - around quitting time, walking to Sukhumvit, and then down to Phrom Pong area - sometimes heading to Sukhumvit on Soi 21, and sometimes on Soi 23. I have never been stopped in that area - I was stopped and searched briefly once - around 2006 - in-between Soi 24 and 26 - around 4:30 pm one day. In passing, I have seen maybe ten stop-and search incidents for pedestrians - with no common profile apparent - maybe four of those in the past six months.

Now - here are two things to consider:

1. Maybe 600 westerners pass through that high-traffic intersection area every hour (that's ten per minute - the number might be a lot higher) - so make that 8,000+ per fourteen hour day, between noon and 2:00 am. Let's say that maybe ten get stopped per day. That's one in 800. You can pick your numbers - but the chance of any one person being stopped is very low.

2. I said I've seen ten maybe ten stop and searches. I've heard first-hand of maybe twenty more. I've read about maybe another fifty. That's 80 - in eleven years. Well, in those same eleven years, I heard of maybe 300 instances of pickpocketing - and I remember when Katoey thieves used to position themselves at night, at the one pedestrian bridge between Sois 23 and 25 - and I had to bark and menace aggressively to get them to back off - and I've heard of maybe 70 or 80 instances of purse or bag-snatchings in the Asok/Sukhumvit area, by motorcycle pillion riders - and I have not heard about a single one of either of those cases in the past six months., So - increased police presence means reduced pick-pocketing and bag-snatching - but with an increased incidence of police stop and search. I think 95% of stop and search cases are over and done with in three minutes - with no lasting harm. Better to be slightly inconvenienced, than to be definitely robbed.

My two cents.,

MS

Edited by maisodni
  • Like 2

If you have a business, a Thai wife, kids it's a totally different matter. But as a normal Holiday maker you are really advised to stay away from a country under military rule, military law, police out of control and all the "normal" problems. 2014/2015 is NOT the year for Thai Holiday.

Discover a country with more freedom, before you regret your next Thai visit. Take your option 3.

17 years here and never been stopped for anything. If you allow the scaremongers to ruin your day, up to you.

Not valid advice for short termers. Perhaps we never get stopped because the local PoPo see us every day, for years on end, and figure there are probably easier targets in the tourists.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the increased reports come at the same time as the drying up 2 major revenue sources of the local cops- closing the daytime kiosks on Suk and closing down happy ending massage parlors.

So my previous experiences -even last month- have no bearing on what's happening today.

17 years here and never been stopped for anything. If you allow the scaremongers to ruin your day, up to you.

Not valid advice for short termers. Perhaps we never get stopped because the local PoPo see us every day, for years on end, and figure there are probably easier targets in the tourists.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the increased reports come at the same time as the drying up 2 major revenue sources of the local cops- closing the daytime kiosks on Suk and closing down happy ending massage parlors.

So my previous experiences -even last month- have no bearing on what's happening today.

Finally.....someone who "gets it".

Do not live in fear

Enjoy your time in Bkk

Go about life as normal

Enjoy your time here

Americans are conditioned by their government to be afraid (of The police, black men, the Muslim terrorist behind every tree); it's through this fear that they are controlled. Therefore, please understand it's hard for this chap to get past it.

Do not live in fear

Enjoy your time in Bkk

Go about life as normal

Enjoy your time here

Americans are conditioned by their government to be afraid (of The police, black men, the Muslim terrorist behind every tree); it's through this fear that they are controlled. Therefore, please understand it's hard for this chap to get past it.

Ah, yes, let's bring stereotypes into the conversation. Always makes the point effectively.

I live in the area and travel around on foot every day. I'm not at all worried. Make of that what you will.

Everyone who lives, works or plays in this area will have been familiar with these police stops for many years. It's an occupational hazard that you put up with. Like SoiBiker, in 10 years I've never been stopped, although I have friends who have been, and one in particular who seems to be regularly targeted. Hopefully this current interest, promoted no doubt by the increased use of social media, may lead a cessation. But I'm not holding my breath, and will continue with my life as normal.

Sometimes I'm really glad I'm not white, cops never stop us other expats.

Try telling that to the Nigerians and other Africans that are rounded up en masse with regularity!

Thought about them only after I posted. So in Thailand , all blacks are drug dealers and all white people must be rich enough for the policemen to scam.