Portable aircon?

Don't bother with the cheap ones mate they do not work over here as the air is too moist, that`s if your reffering to the ones you put ice cubes/water in,

I think you can get some quite expensive proper portable aircon units that have a large pipe going outside but if your talking about the smaller ones they wont do anything, I think these would be ok saying that but you can get a proper air con unit for 10,000

http://www.directtoshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10051&categoryId=11258&langId=-1&pageView=grid&beginIndex=0&top=Y&pageName=CategoryPage&storeId=10001&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference

I was looking into them a while back aswell but was told not too bother, ended up getting a proper air con fitted which worked out cheaper, saying that if you really need portable your looking at about 12,000+ for a decent one,

Cheers

Portable aircons are a bit naff. Not only are they less efficient than standard split aircon units, they are hot, noisy, expensive, take up space and you still need to cut a hole for the exhaust. The heat problem is due to the coil/compressor (what does all the work and what generates most of the heat) now being inside. Power consumption is ultimately dependent on BTUs required (calculated from size of room) and not a given manufacturer. I have seen them in the likes of Power Buy and HomePro, however, which would deliver to you for free.

Is there no way you can get a split aircon installed? The Mitsu Mr Slims are excellent... perhaps your landlord would go halves.

Above I was refering to a proper aircon,

BUT

Don't bother with the cheap ones mate they do not work over here as the air is too moist, that`s if your reffering to the ones you put ice cubes/water in,

I disagree, if you get them full of cold water and heaps of ice, BUT, disaster in a room not extremely well ventilated or a bedroom, great for out side or a room with big sliding doors and windows. It makes humid air wetter, temp relief and mold loves em. But if you are up in Issan in the dry, could work I rekon.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

I disagree, if you get them full of cold water and heaps of ice, BUT, disaster in a room not extremely well ventilated or a bedroom, great for out side or a room with big sliding doors and windows. It makes humid air wetter, temp relief and mold loves em. But if you are up in Issan in the dry, could work I rekon.

I think the problem is having to refill it every few hours with ice which would not be ideal, in the summer here they wouldn't have much affect, saying that they are cheap but nothing like proper air con.

@OP I got a 12000 BTU power saving LG which does fine in a smallish room even managed to blag free same day fitting for 9,500

Edited by ryanhull

I bought an Air Picnic mobile (17,000 Bahts). It's working fine but you have to know how you're going to use it.

For me, as I don't have an insulated room, buying a fixed one didn't make real sense because only one use and always on during hot season.

With the portable one, you can move it at different places (assuming you have a door or a window near to extract hot air): near you when you watch TV or when you're at your computer and, at night, close to your bed. Not so noisy neither. But you have to understand that, for this kind of use, it will provide only some cool air for a very precise and small location. You will never be able to cool an entire room if it's not insulated. If your room is insulated, buy a fixed one.

As a plus for this portable unit, when the weather is cold, you can reverse the input and output in order to extract the cool air outside and use the capability of the unit to blow hot air into the room (very useful in Isan where it is "cold" during some weeks in winter), 14 degrees or less at night is not so comfortable.

Edited by patfrth

whistling.gif You will be better off to get a small portable fan (one you can pick up and carry easily).

What you are probably after is moving air, which in a small room will give you the "colling breeze" effect you are looking for.

Works great placed next to your bed to blow a cooling breeze over you.

Get one of the oscillating type if you can.

While you sleep, your brain will interpret the moving air as cooling, and you will wake up feeling much better.

I've seen them in Tesco for less than 1000 Baht and even high end ones for less than 2500 Baht.

Uses less electricity also than an actual air conditioner, to keep those monthly "electric" bills down.

What you really want is the sensation of circulating air in a room to cool you down with dry air to remove any moisture and perspiration from your body.

A small portable fan will do that.

• Like 1