Soi Berkow hospital

i claudius

about 10 months ago i registered at this hospital ,and they were not really up andrunning ,but the other day i went in and they gave me a registration card ,has anyone used them ,how good are they do they have an ambulance service ,costs ,anyone used them?

Hi. I doubt you get many answers with such a topic title!

I live in Pattaya for years but never heard about any "Soi Berkow"... wink.png

I suppose you mean "Soi Buakhao" (most common spelling for ซอยบัวขาว)

and the name of this hospital is "Pattaya City Hospital" (โรงพยาบาลเมืองพัทยา)

IMG_20130530_085021.jpg

I used it in April while it was still in "test mode": a small emergency: good work and very cheap smile.png

What I heard though is that since it officially/fully opened,

prices have gone up a lot and they apply bad dual-pricing against farangs... sad.png

Edited by Pattaya46

I used this hospital earlier this year, before it was fully opened.

Saw the doctor within 30 minutes, he referred me to the emergency room for a surgical procedure to remove a small lump on my back. Went back on 3 occasions to have dressing replaced. Total cost - 100 baht doctor, 400 baht procedure and 200 baht for new dressings. Total 700 baht - excellent.

I returned to the hospital last month to have an examination on a small cyst on the forehead. After a 3 hour wait to see the doctor (they said he had a patient, but when I threatened to leave they showed me in and he had no patient).

He spent 2 minutes looking at the cyst and said he could book an appointment for 2 weeks time. He was pretty off hand.

Cost to see doctor 500 baht. i.e. 5 times that before. I booked no appointment.

I only set this out to endorse what Pattaya 46 suggested in his above post. There is clearly 'special' pricing and a lack of the same professionalism (in my view) that there was previously. Sad really,as I thought it was a sensible alternative to the BPH.

• Like 1

IMG_20130530_085021.jpg

I used it in April while it was still in "test mode": a small emergency: good work and very cheap smile.png

prices have gone up a lot and they apply bad dual-pricing against farangs... sad.png

Sorry about my spooling ,will try harder next timethumbsup.gif

• Like 1

"...and they apply bad dual-pricing against farangs"

And what countries offer government subsidized health care to foreigners at the same prices as to citizens of that country?

More ridiculous farang nanny state sense of entitlement.

• Like 1

I recently spent three days there as an inpatient , I had a fairly serious stomach infection and felt very ill indeed. They admitted me to the adult ward , 26 beds, four of which were occupied by adults and down the far end there were FOUR BABIES together with their families. It was like being in a village somewhere in " Nakonseenowhere "! On the morning of the fourth day I was discharged with several little bags of pills. The cost of the bed was 2,500 baht a night and the total bill was 11, 850 baht.

• Like 2

And what countries offer government subsidized health care to foreigners at the same prices as to citizens of that country?

Suradit66 I bet you sing the praise of double pricing until the day you need some medical care...

The UK?

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1086.aspx?categoryid=68

Who is exempt from charges?

Some visitors to the UK are entitled to at least some NHS hospital treatment free of charge. These include people working for UK-based employers and students on courses of at least six months' duration.

UK state pensioners living outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and those visiting from countries that have a healthcare agreement with the UK are also entitled to free hospital treatment, but not pre-planned treatment or treatment that can await their return home.

What services and treatments are free for everyone?

There are some situations where initial treatment is available free on the NHS to all overseas visitors. These include:

• Like 2

Who talked about "subsidized health" ? Thai have the "30 baht/day scheme". It's something different. Here a Thai not registered in Pattaya (or even not registered at allo anywhere) will pay less than you for the same consultation/treatment.

And "what countries?": mine by example: France. You will not pay a different price at a doctor or hospital just because you are French. You will have to show proof of an health insurance (private or of state) to pay less, and foreigners can do the same (at least for main well known insurances). Also foreigners in France are entitled to free emergency care if hospitalization is required.

I think its similar in many European countries.

Edited by Pattaya46

I recently spent three days there as an inpatient , I had a fairly serious stomach infection and felt very ill indeed. They admitted me to the adult ward , 26 beds, four of which were occupied by adults and down the far end there were FOUR BABIES together with their families. It was like being in a village somewhere in " Nakonseenowhere "! On the morning of the fourth day I was discharged with several little bags of pills. The cost of the bed was 2,500 baht a night and the total bill was 11, 850 baht.

I dont think I could stand being in a general ward for 4 days anywhere in the world. Do they have private rooms?

good to hear reports about this place as the location is excellent

i hope to god i never need to see a doctor or go to a hospital

but should that time arise i hope i can research and find the bet doc and know how much everything will cost in advance

yes, call me a dreamer too

thanks for the reports!

It seems to me from some of the feedback above that Pattaya Memorial Hospital

which is just off Soi Buakhaow, isn't going to be out of business any time soon.

Prices in Memorial Hospital rose a lot too in last 2-3 years.

Since all signs inside are in Russian too, prices have gone up significantly

and there are now all kind of "services" added on your bill, making it even higher sad.png

Most Thais pay a whopping 30 Baht here.

I don't think so. Most Thai in Pattaya are more or less "temporary workers" here.

They come from their village to find work here but never made the papers to register here,

so they cannot get advantage of their "30 baht card" that works only in the registration area.

If anything serious the new hospital will probably feed you to International,closest one too. Now the International is what I would regard a massive rip off, just been for skin cancer scan,was 900 recently ,now 1500 and of course pre cancer detected,another 4000 thank you,no thanks.

They will do anything and everything to bump that bill up,changing half empty oxygen cylinders for full ones,keeping you there with promises xyz is being done. Challenged one and only bill from there after an in patient for one night 50% off

• Like 1