Washington march: Civil rights protest over US police killings

Lite Beer

Washington march: Civil rights protest over US police killings

Thousands of people have marched through the US capital, Washington DC, to protest against the recent killings of unarmed black people by police.

Relatives of Michael Brown, shot dead in the Missouri town of Ferguson, and Eric Garner, who died being restrained in New York, were among them.

Both died after encountering police, but grand juries decided not to bring charges, sparking anger and unrest.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30464083

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-12-13

The NYC police union has escalated and aggravated tensions by saying Mayor De Blasio and the head of the city council should not attend police funerals in the future, but in Missouri a national group of black lawyers and judges have filed with the state authority to revoke Darren Wilson's police officer certification.

The president of the International Association of Chiefs of Police, Chief Richard Beary notes during this time that "ninety-eight percent of the time cops do a great job of doing what they do," which is a welcome observation and perspective during all the the present commotion. Chief Beary further advocates that the "police agency should represent the demographics of the community."

I think that the chief has the basic formula to build on that could preclude the cross currents that keep recurring.

To the contrary, however, Darren Wilson and Daniel Pantaleo have brought notoriety to themselves. At this point in the life of each he has contributed nothing to the society and in fact have made things worse and continue to make things worse. Each should do the honorable thing and turn himself in to admit to his gross indiscretion and to his abuse of authority, trust, mission.

Some police officers are not Officers of the Peace because an officer of the peace de-escalates rather than escalates a given situation, especially one in which the citizen is unarmed.

• Like 2

Garner didn't die as a result of the so called choke hold.

He died because he was 100 kilos overweight, asthmatic and resisting arrest.

There were at least two policemen trying to restrain him by lying on top of him, thus compressing his chest and restricting his ability to refill his lungs with air.

If it had been a true choke hold, he wouldn't have been able to repeatedly say..."I can't breathe".

If anything, it was a head lock.

Some posters on TV make multiple excuses for the police officers who kill or abuse citizens in the U.S., yet complain constantly about the BIB! Before you decide --- at least in what you say --- that the police in the U.S. are always justified, learn more about the situation. Open the following link in Google, or your browser, and learn a little more! Better yet, Google "Daily Kos" and read much more!

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/12/11/1351100/

There were at least two policemen trying to restrain him by lying on top of him, thus compressing his chest and restricting his ability to refill his lungs with air.

If it had been a true choke hold, he wouldn't have been able to repeatedly say..."I can't breathe".

I accept the autopsy findings in the Michael Brown homicide excuted by Darren Wilson, I just don't accept what Wilson did as necessary or as honorable police work.

The New York City Medical Examiner has ruled Eric Garner's death under police assault a homicide. In other words, Garner would not have died had the police not gang assaulted him.

Both Brown and Garner were unarmed.

Medical Examiner: Police Chokehold Killed Eric Garner, Death Ruled A Homicide
De Blasio: 'I Extend My Deepest Sympathies' To Family
August 1, 2014

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) – The New York City Medical Examiner’s office has ruled that the chokehold by a police officer on a Staten Island man last month caused his death.

Eric Garner’s July 17 death has been ruled a homicide, Medical Examiner’s office spokeswoman Julie Bolcer said Friday.

His death was caused by the “compression of his neck (chokehold), compression of his chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police” and asthma, heart disease and obesity were contributing factors, Bolcer said.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/08/01/medical-examiner-rules-eric-garners-death-a-homicide/

Michael Brown was a justified shooting and the Grand Jury did the right thing. The Eric Garner case is a lot more questionable. Tying them together is a mistake as far as getting public support.

You say that the Michael Brown shooting was justified...did you follow the news in mainstream press before making your decision? Did you look at the photos of the "injuries" that Officer Wilson obtained in the "altercation" and compare them to his statements? Do you know that Michael Brown died 153 feet away from Wilson's vehicle? Have you read of how Ferguson officials increased the city's revenue by actions similar to those which posters on this forum accuse the BIB? If the police in Ferguson harrassed and threatened members of the media who were obviously, members of the media, and were sure to report the harrassment, what do you think they were doing for years to the black residents?

FYI, I worked for years for a large city in north eastern U.S. and was privy to some inside information, not only about some police officers, but about some city administrators. It wasn't always pretty!

Also, regarding getting public support for the victims, obviously, you haven't been following the news...not only are there protests across the U.S., but there are protests internationally!

Sorry if I got too intense, but this is a serious problem that has gone on for far too long!

• Like 2

It was not a " civil rights " protest, it was a demand for more than the 100 % FREEBIES

black people now collect from Caucasian hard working, tax paying citizens !

Let me guess...you wear a white sheet, a hood, and you burn crosses on people's properties, don't you?

Do some research, pal...see where the tax dollars go; mainly to rich folks (and, note, not wanting to be racist like some, I didn't pick on any particular racial or ethnic group) who can hire expensive tax attorneys, to use all the loopholes. They get tax breaks for their huge farms, businesses, etc. Do you know how much taxes G.E pays? If you pay U.S. taxes, and you actually do know those figures, that is what would upset you!

Warren Buffet, perhaps you have heard of him, complained about the U.S. tax structure because he pays a lower percentage of taxes on his income that his secretary does! Large companies pay very little taxes because they can afford the lawyers to take advantage of the tax laws! Who make the tax laws? I give you three guesses!

Foreign countries get billions of dollars of taxpayer money every year...for example, Israel alone, gets over two billion, every year!

And, sir, look at the photos of the protesters; many of them are obviously "Caucasian"; I suppose they too, are "looking to collect" ?

• Like 1

Michael Brown was a justified shooting and the Grand Jury did the right thing. The Eric Garner case is a lot more questionable. Tying them together is a mistake as far as getting public support.

You say that the Michael Brown shooting was justified...did you follow the news in mainstream press before making your decision? Did you look at the photos of the "injuries" that Officer Wilson obtained in the "altercation" and compare them to his statements? Do you know that Michael Brown died 153 feet away from Wilson's vehicle?
Yes. Yes. Yes. I probably know more about the case than you do and the Ferguson Grand Jury made the correct decision considering the evidence and the law.

I'm happy to hear that you know so much about the case, Ulysses. So you do realize that the Ferguson Grand Jury was used by a clever county prosecutor to achieve the results he desired! Also, you are aware of the following:

Justice Antonin Scalia, in the 1992 Supreme Court case of United States v. Williams, explained what the role of a grand jury has been for hundreds of years.

• Like 1

I apologise for my volume of posts on this topic, and this will be my last on this thread, not because I've said all that can and should be said, but to stop annoying those with an obvious difference of opinion.

Check this link from The New York Times and it might give you some added insight: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/14/opinion/sunday/mark-bittman-is-it-bad-enough-yet.html?

• Like 1

Some posters on TV make multiple excuses for the police officers who kill or abuse citizens in the U.S., yet complain constantly about the BIB! Before you decide --- at least in what you say --- that the police in the U.S. are always justified, learn more about the situation. Open the following link in Google, or your browser, and learn a little more! Better yet, Google "Daily Kos" and read much more!

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/12/11/1351100/

I tried but came away with nothing. Daily Kos is a Soros operation and is hardly unbiased so I likely wouldn't believe what they had to say anyway.

The is the response I got when clicking your link. I didn't bother with the "helpdesk".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ERROR!

Sorry, that story could not be found.

If this message does not make sense to you, please copy and paste the above, along with a description of what you were doing before the error, and submit it to the helpdesk for assistance.

There are literally hundreds of cases every year of questionable police involvement in a civilian's death...it is not just the black community that is at risk for police brutality...reform of the police culture of overreaction, cover-up, and arrogance...has to take place before any progress will be made on this important issue...

Many people are reluctant to call the police for fear of destruction of property, hospitalization and death of civilians...

One can not paint all police with this broad brush of bad-behavior...but there is ample evidence that change is long overdue...

• Like 1

The fumbling bumbling Ferguson prosecutor who delivered the outdated and thus the wrong law to the grand jury about when police shoot to kill has just now released new transcripts of the grand jury proceedings that he says he hadn't known were still in his office.

Prosecutor Robert McColloch said yesterday he hadn't noticed transcripts of the testimony of Michael Brown's friend and eyewitness Dorian Johnson had not been released with the bulk of documents Nov 24th that supported the grand jury in its decision not to indict Darren Wilson in Brown's homicide.

This guy McColloch is not only incompetent, he is corrupt.

It is just impossible to believe after McColloch's long and winding Nov 24th television press conference in Wilson's defense that he missed the fact Johnson's testimony had been overlooked in the release of documents back then. McColloch wants us to believe he entirely missed the fact from Nov 24 to late last week that Johnson's testimony had not been released. And that transcripts of FBI interviews of eyewitinesses had also not been released.

The man is corrupt.

More Files Are Released in Shooting in Ferguson

DEC. 13, 2014

“Clearly, I inadvertently omitted some material from the November 24, 2014, release and I apologize for any confusion this may have caused,” Mr. McCulloch said in a news release that was issued Saturday morning.

Released on Saturday, for example, was Mr. Johnson’s interview from just days after the shooting with federal agents and local detectives. While some details varied, Mr. Johnson told largely the same story during that more than two-hour interview, the newly released transcript showed, as he would, nearly a month later, provide directly to the jurors.

Included in the latest release from the prosecutor were transcripts of interviews with people who witnessed the shooting of Michael Brown in August by F.B.I. agents, St. Louis County detectives, and by officials from the Justice Department

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/14/us/more-files-are-released-in-shooting-in-ferguson-.html?_r=0

And just last week the Missouri Attorney General confirmed that Prosecutor McCulloch and his assistant prosecutors presented the grand jury with the severely outdated Missouri law that ignores the 1985 US Supreme Court ruling that directly addresses the killing of Michael Brown by Darren Wilson. The US Supreme Court ruling limited and restricted police violence against a fleeing suspect, which Brown was for a significant time while he was being shot at and in fact shot.

This is both incompetence and corruption on the part of McCulloch and his office of assistant prosecutors, not to mention the entire Missouri government that licensed Darren Wilson to be a police officer.

Thu Dec 04, 2014 at 12:54 PM PST

Missouri AG confirms Michael Brown grand jury misled by St. Louis DA

Subsequent to a previous report from Lawrence O'Donnell of MSNBC, the Missouri Attorney General has confirmed with "Last Word" that instructions given the Michael Brown grand jury describing the police "use of force" laws was incorrect and misleading.

..{T}he assistant district attorneys working for Bob McCulloch gave the jurors an outdated copy of Missouri law, which stated all that was required for an officer to use deadly force is their "reasonable belief" that there was a threat.

In 1985, in Tennessee v. Garner directly before Darren Wilson's testimony giving the impression that all that was required under the law for Wilson to kill Michael Brown with impunity was his belief that he was in danger, without the additional [uS Supreme Court] requirement of probable cause for such a belief.

The Missouri AG now proclaims that was wrong, and that the Missouri Law needs to be changed and updated to reflect the Supreme Court's ruling.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/12/04/1349421/-Missouri-AG-Confirms-Michael-Brown-Grand-Jury-Misled-by-St-Louis-DA

The law calls for a special grand jury to be convened with a prosecutor appointed by the state, if preferred, to conduct a new investigation if the state of Missouri determines it may be necessary to do so, for whatever the reason may be. It is in fact necessary to do this now.

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 1

Publicus, I'm sorry to disagree with your discription of the county prosecutor as:

The fumbling bumbling Ferguson prosecutor who delivered the outdated and thus the wrong law to the grand jury about when police shoot to kill has just now released new transcripts of the grand jury proceedings that he says he hadn't known were still in his office.

Mr. McColloch achieved exactly what he set out to do! Besides this area of disagreement, thanks for your research and post.

Edited by eastcanje
  • Like 1

Publicus, I'm sorry to disagree with your discription of the county prosecutor as:

Mr. McColloch achieved exactly what he set out to do! Besides this area of disagreement, thanks for your research and post.

Indeed, and your post is well taken but Mr McCulloch is indeed a fumbler and a bumbler for so ineptly and incompetently attempting a coverup of the homicide crime committed by Darren Wilson and supported by the Ferguson police department from its top to its bottom.

The grand jury was deliberately misled by McCulloch, but it was misled in such an obvious and unmistakable way that there is no way McCulloch's briefs have held up in a judicial proceeding in which he is supposed to be the master.

Yes, the prosecutor failed to present facts that would lead to an indictment and yes the law was wrongly presented to the grand jury in order to preclude an indictment. The cnnical Mr McCulloch is now wearing the collar for this and justly so because he botched the cover up. Wilson is implicated in the cover up too.

Edited by Publicus

Why not set up a meeting with Eric Holder and present all your facts?

Apparently the 40 lawyers he sent to Ferguson haven't stumbled on your data yet or the DOJ would already have brought civil rights charges against the guilty parties.

The Attorney General of Missouri made this professional and official determination last week.

McCulloch had internally set the date of the grand jury's decision as Nov 24th, but got cold feet about not presenting the 1985 ruling of the SCOTUS to the grand jury, due to the Feds being around his office and the courthouse and elsewhere plus the publicity involved in the case. So McCulloch decided to present the US Supreme Court ruling of 1985 to the jury on November 21st, then call for the jury's decision on Nov 24th as he'd scheduled.

The new problem is that transcripts now released make clear prosecutors did not explain to the grand jury exactly what was wrong with the badly outdated state statute or that anything was in fact wrong with it. Prosecutors did not advise the grand jury that the Supreme Court's rulings do in fact override Missouri law, or any state's law.

Which is why the calls are stronger for the governor to call a special grand jury and appoint a special prosecutor to conduct a proper and above board judicial proceeding. The reason is the corruption of the proceeding McCulloch conducted as Darren Wilson's criminal defense lawyer and we do recall that defense lawyers are not allowed in the grand jury room no matter what.

Edited by Publicus

It was not a " civil rights " protest, it was a demand for more than the 100 % FREEBIES

black people now collect from Caucasian hard working, tax paying citizens !

Just like the freebies lazy white folks reaped off the hard work of black slaves ? Call it payback.
Funny, but I don't seem to have ever owned any slaves... Nor has anyone I know. Not my parents or grandparents or aunts or uncles or... (you get the picture). Now, OTOH, how many hard-working blacks alive today have had any freebies "reaped off them" by slave-owning lazy white folks? Hmmm? Pretty short list, ain't it? The whole lame rant is just a silly attempt at misdirection

It's just the same old reverse racism we get from Jesse & Al & Maxine & all those other rabid, "you're a victim", black exceptionalists. Law & order is fine for whitey, but we blacks do as we darn please, and everybody best learn to like it!! (Or we'll huff and we'll puff and we'll burn down the d&@m town!)

It's not about civil rights at all. It's about black privilege and entitlement.

Well said, hawker9000.

The truths I posted about crime and disease in the USA does not even come close to the truths about the slavery myths that the Establishment wants to present. The fact is, the truths about slavery and the contributing factors removes much of the blame on Whites and puts more on Blacks and a few others. I am convinced this is not a subject that would be allowed for this OP, and apologize for digressing, ...but when people begin to understand the truth, then it will matter a lot. The problem with the "slavery" card is that it is not relevant in the far greater and looming prospect of the Black crime and disease statistics. If these statistics keep on climbing and continue to be ignored in favor of the "race" card, then there will undoubtedly be a lash back that will be most regrettable.

I have proven beyond a reasonable doubt that there is indeed a silent race war going on in the USA at present. If those statistics do not bring on any consideration of where the USA is headed, then I do not know what else to say other than, "Duck!".

Edited by cup-O-coffee
  • Like 1

With the Ferguson homicide, riots, tensions, and the NYC homicide with its consequences still unclear, the

homicide of the 12 year old boy in Cleveland......the list gets very long, black Americans have taken an unjust bashing at every thread posted to the Index over time, years of time.

The following are US Census Bureau data compiled at the US Department of Commerce for the most recent years and, in one instance, going back to 1970. The bottom line is that the number of black Americans in poverty closely approximates the number of white Americans in poverty, which is more or less $25,000 annual income for a family of four.

Because society gives guns to only one group of professionals, the police, for the specific purpose of serving, protecting, being Officers of the Peace, the focus remains on those dedicated public servants to take the lead in resolving outstanding issues. Ninety-eight percent of the time police throughout the United States do a very good job of it.

The following data tell us who marched on Washington and who are demanding their civil rights back.

2009-public-assistance-chart-2.jpg

http://blackdemographics.com/

2012-Black-Family-income.jpg

Median_Black_Income_Chart_2005_to_2011_o

SOURCE: 2012 3rd Quarter: Bureau of Labor Statistics – 16 Years or Older & 2011 Census Bureau American Community Survey