Import

mijan24

This is not meant as a continuing "drag" on bringing "my car" to Thailand which I agree has been done to death.

Question: - Are there any special provisions for importing "kit cars" or "vintage/classic" cars into Thailand either part assembled or KND condition?

Vintage or classic cars are just another car and the same rules apply. Unless you are bringing one when immigrating, do not even try. Even then the duty and tax can be steep

see

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...PersonalPer#tax

A CKD or SKD kit can be imported and duty must be paid. Generally parts are classified as such, however if SKD with the engine and gearbox removed from the chassis, Customs will take the position that if it looks like a car, it is a car at 80% and good luck arguing otherwise.

In fact I have a ruling from Customs permitting import of a CKD kit

The problem lies in registration.

This involves inspection and approval from a Professional Engineer regarding safety issues, and emissions testing that is only done in Bangkok by the Thai Standards institute.

No problem with the Engineer's approval, and this can be done.

The problem is the emissions testing.

The procedure is to write a letter asking for an inspection and why. You wait for their acceptance letter. Quite some time later (my bike was almost a year) they give you a date and you pay 30,000 B. They do the test and I am told issue only a pass or fail grade, and do not release the data that you just paid 30K for. You can go through this process adinfinitum

There are published standards for emissions and I have paid for a copy of the regulations. I am advised by an Engineer who does the safety aspect of the registration and been through this before, not to waste my time and money on this as no matter how clean it is, I will never pass.

Imagine - you can install a brand new Euro III engine c/w cat and it will mysteriously fail? Somehow the grey market importers get their cars approved for registration, and my bike importer had no problem.

A more sceptical person would wonder why. a private individual would have problems.

I trust my understanding of the testing process is not true and would love to be proven wrong. I can easily build a Westie, Caterham, Cobra etc that can meet both safety and emissions, but under a corrupt system is is just impossible to get emissions approval.

Now if someone in the grey market import business could tell us how, or take my money and get it done I would give it a go.

Speak up.

This is not meant as a continuing "drag" on bringing "my car" to Thailand which I agree has been done to death.

Question: - Are there any special provisions for importing "kit cars" or "vintage/classic" cars into Thailand either part assembled or KND condition?