Suvarnabhumi Cigarette scam?

agrg

Suvarnabhumi shopping is a scam!

Been flying in/out here for the past 6 years, never shopped anything other than food.

First of all no Marlboro -> no shopping - does not matter that the shop assistant was trying to say "May pen Rai, buy something else"....

Seccond of all i found that their prices is very high - tax free my a... Saw a bottle of wine that retail in 7/11 for about 150 Baht and at Suvarnabhumi shopping they asked for 300

Bu-Humbug

First of all, departures duty free does sell Marlboro...you can see stacks of them as you walk past the shops.

Second of all there is no bottle of wine sold anywhere in Thailand, particularly at 7/11, that costs 150 baht, perhaps apart from homemade rice wine sold at some village shop. Spirit prices at Suvarnabhumi are far cheaper than the prices in the city. Count on duty free prices to be about 25% cheaper for a litre bottle as compared to a 750 mL bottle in the city.

Really, they must have started in the last 3 weeks then because ever since the airport opened they have never had them. Some issue with Philip Morris I understood.

Been flying in/out here for the past 6 years, never shopped anything other than food.

First of all no Marlboro -> no shopping - does not matter that the shop assistant was trying to say "May pen Rai, buy something else"....

Seccond of all i found that their prices is very high - tax free my a... Saw a bottle of wine that retail in 7/11 for about 150 Baht and at Suvarnabhumi shopping they asked for 300

Bu-Humbug

First of all, departures duty free does sell Marlboro...you can see stacks of them as you walk past the shops.

Second of all there is no bottle of wine sold anywhere in Thailand, particularly at 7/11, that costs 150 baht, perhaps apart from homemade rice wine sold at some village shop. Spirit prices at Suvarnabhumi are far cheaper than the prices in the city. Count on duty free prices to be about 25% cheaper for a litre bottle as compared to a 750 mL bottle in the city.

Really, they must have started in the last 3 weeks then because ever since the airport opened they have never had them. Some issue with Philip Morris I understood.

I have never seen Marlboro at Suvarnaphmi airport. Guess this guy is thinking about a different airport. I also see 750ml bottles of Mont Clair at 7/11for about 150 baht. So much misinformation spread on the internet.

Bu-Humbug

I have not seen Marlboro in duty free shops for years now.

I think I remember reading that there was some kind of agreement between B&H and Marlboro some years ago.

You can buy Marlboro all over the country but B&H are only available from duty free airports.

Bu-Humbug

I have never seen Marlboro at Suvarnaphmi airport. Guess this guy is thinking about a different airport. I also see 750ml bottles of Mont Clair at 7/11for about 150 baht. So much misinformation spread on the internet.

That's amazing that your 7-11 has 750 mL bottles of Mont Clair on offer for 150 baht. I snapped this pic at BigC yesterday, where the 750 mL bottles cost 299 baht and the 375 bottles cost 159 baht. I always thought 7-11 was more expensive than BigC, but no - 7/11 sells wine for half the price of BigC?

I don't think so.

post-665-0-03588900-1421056691_thumb.jpg

Bu-Humbug

I have not seen Marlboro in duty free shops for years now.

I think I remember reading that there was some kind of agreement between B&H and Marlboro some years ago.

You can buy Marlboro all over the country but B&H are only available from duty free airports.

You're thinking of L&M . They had the bust up over the health photos on the packs. Never seen again at King Power after that.

Marlboro have always been available.

At least when I've entered or exited the country.

Edited by sparkey

I tried to buy Marlboro last week and after i could not find them the sales girl told me, No have and never had.

This was at Suvarnabhumi international departure.

Very strange

I flew back to the UK with 200 Marlboro bought at swampy.

Looking at their website

http://www.kingpower.com/en/business/duty-free/liquor-tobacco

They don't list Marlboro.

What the he'll did I buy.

• 4 weeks later...

My parents were flying out of BKK and while purchasing duty free they were told they were allowed two cartons of cigarettes each. Pretty sure this isn't the case but its not a scam I've heard of either. My assumption would be that they sell you too many cigarettes then the police pick you up and fine you.

I know of King Powers old scam of accusing people of shop lifting but has anyone heard of a cigarette scam? Don't think taking too many cigarettes is even a crime, it's arriving with too many that's a problem.

Thoughts?

You can buy as many duty free cigarettes as you want in Bkk.

It's the other end that you need to declare them.

In UK 200 per person so 1 carton not 2 as someone else said.

It's no scam just sales,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying out of Suv and believe in what Thai sales personnel tells you about US customs regulations.

Sorry, very naive and your parents need some basic advice on international travel.

Its your responsibility to know the customs regulations at your destination.

No my parents didn't believe them, they only got one carton each. I was just inquiring to see if any one would know why the shop assistant would be telling them to buy two.

I said they were flying BKK to UK via France. Why would US customs regulations be applicable?

The shop assistant would have been telling them it is 2 carton maximum per boarding pass this was introduced a couple of years back.

before that you could buy as many as you could get into your hand luggage.

I have travelled with mates who brought backpacks and stuffed them with 12 cartons each.

they got stopped once by customs upon arrival home and got off with a warning, They had their details entered into the customs database but got keeping the cigarettes without paying any duty.

Only because they flew from bangkok and the duty free shops were openly selling you as many cartons as you could carry.

I don't think UK customs would allow you through with 12 cartons if you got caught & had an official warning. They'd all be seized & you'd be sent on your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Duty Free shops are encouraged to make sure that the buyer is aware of the duty free limits and transit rules for their journey otherwise they get lots of complaints from people who get caught. Some DF operators now will refuse to sell over the limit as company policy.

DF is a complete misnomer anyway, it is domestic retail minus 20%-40% typically. They don't pay duty but they never sell at a price that equals domestic - minus duty burden. That is why wine at Thai DF is more expensive that UK retail, for high end wine it is often twice the cost and has not been stored properly.

Marlboro and L&M are not sold at DF in Thailand because of a long standing dispute on treatment of domestic imports, I think the issue went all the way to the World Trade Organisation, and Thailand lost.

Duty Free shops are encouraged to make sure that the buyer is aware of the duty free limits and transit rules for their journey otherwise they get lots of complaints from people who get caught. Some DF operators now will refuse to sell over the limit as company policy.

DF is a complete misnomer anyway, it is domestic retail minus 20%-40% typically. They don't pay duty but they never sell at a price that equals domestic - minus duty burden. That is why wine at Thai DF is more expensive that UK retail, for high end wine it is often twice the cost and has not been stored properly.

Marlboro and L&M are not sold at DF in Thailand because of a long standing dispute on treatment of domestic imports, I think the issue went all the way to the World Trade Organisation, and Thailand lost.

Thanks for the clarification, This was also my understanding.

I can understand that DF is advising people on the allowed amount but if they insist they should sell it as it is the risk of the costumer.

Thanks for the clarification, This was also my understanding.

I can understand that DF is advising people on the allowed amount but if they insist they should sell it as it is the risk of the costumer.

I agree they should sell it, but the problem is they are dealing with the lowest common denominator, some of whom will always try it on regardless of what they were told. Unless they can get the customer to sign a waiver that they have been told the risk and then store it in an easy-to-find system, it is just easier not to bother.

• 2 years later...