Russian Pedestrian shot by Police as they chase two bag snatchers in Jomtien

webfact

The sooner that civilians are allowed to carry arms the better what is needed is a Thai NRA, no more punch ups.

Huh? And Thailand can go down the path of another country of this world where, unfortunately, many children are killed in schools because of the proliferation and lack of control of arms. coffee1.gif

The sooner that civilians are allowed to carry arms the better what is needed is a Thai NRA, no more punch ups.

Yeah right, because untrained civilians with guns are going to cause less of this type of incident than trained police officers. And what would you have suggested exactly in this case? A thief being gunned down by a vigilante? Shame on you.

I strongly suspect (hope) that Pitrevie had his tongue firmly tucked in his cheek when he made the comment "The sooner that civilians are allowed to carry arms the better what is needed is a Thai NRA, no more punch ups." If anything could make me rethink living in Thailand, the prospect of people running around carrying firearms would do it!!

With respect to the lady being shot in the ankle as the apparent result of a mis-directed or richocheting bullet fired by a police officer at a THEFT suspect, thank the Supreme Being that she wasn't killed....ankle, leg, torso, head, all areas of the body that could have been struck! And what if the area occupied by her ankle, had been a child sitting down, or bending over to pick up a dropped toy? What part of its body would have been struck? Would it have survived the bullet?!! I don't know what training or direction under the laws of Thailand that polce are given with respect to apprehending suspected felons, but....was there any suggestion that those two touts were armed or thought to be a serious threat to the physical safety of the public should they have escaped? Had they used a gun during the theft...or threatened death or serious bodily harm to their victim? I am referring to the "common sense",let alone any "legal" justification for the use of what amounts to "deadly force" in an attempt to prevent their escape (which, in this case, it did in fact accomplsh)! Firing bullets at someone on a moving motorbike in a public venue during evening hours with presumably unknown and difficult to see numbers of the public present in the area, seems to me to be what, in most jurisdictions, would be considered an act of "reckless endangerment" or "criminal negligence". Yes, the police were quick to admit their responsibility and are prepared to pay for all of the lady's medical expensies. And, yes, due to the "accidental" but "fortuitous" path of the bullet, the lady is alive and, hopefully will be able to fully recover. Does that mitigate in any way, shape or form, the officer's responsibility for an action that easily could have resulted in death to an innocent, an action that was carried out in an effort to arrest a thief!! As a retired police officer, I am usually on the side of the police, but in this instance, my mind boggles!!

Edited by Tingtau

Is this an attempt of trolling or are you a serious believer that having "ammo" on the Christmas wish list is the solution to all problems? Don't you think that the list of people killed by guns in Thailand and the US is already too high?

We already got fat from your country's fine "cuisine", we do not need importing lunatic institutions like the NRA. More guns on the street is never the answer as any civilized person would argue.

I'll give you a clue, I am not from the USA but a place where people are not allowed to carry guns and I suspect the majority have no wish to do so.

It's an interesting view and debate, I'm not sure how legalising more ignorant people to carry guns is a better solution that banning them altogether...

Yeah right, because untrained civilians with guns are going to cause less of this type of incident than trained police officers. And what would you have suggested exactly in this case? A thief being gunned down by a vigilante? Shame on you.

Just an aside: These "punks" are easy to spot. They run around in groups/gangs and all have Moe (Three Stooges) haircuts:

post-110622-0-20170300-1418615503_thumb.

That really is not a joke. I can spot them and the police should be able to spot them and search them for guns/knives. They are becoming increaingly reckless and dangerous.

Avoid them if you can!

Jeez, I know this is not the west, but open fire on a few dumb kids for petty larceny. I am not in Kansas anymore. Seems a bit overboard.

Think I recently read a post or thread where the question was asked if Thai police are trigger happy? I think this suggests yes.

Edited by arjunadawn
  • Like 1

How did the girl get shot ? was she just an innocent bystander ? crazy rules of engagement. if more thieves would think that they maybe shot it could detour some of the crimes.

She was just an innocent bystander as you say , could have been anyone , and maybe 5 more :-(

Although I don't agree with shooting at bag snatches (unless armed and shooting back) in a crowded street - was it crowded - what time was it?.

But I do happen to know that many Pattaya police are reasonably good shots and practice a lot

So the cops were shooting at 2 teenagers riding away on their motorbike for nicking a handbag,,.. "shooting at them!". Did they pose any immediate threat to the public?

By the look of it they missed the kids and injured this poor woman.

It's the police who posed an immediate threat to the public.