Russian Pedestrian shot by Police as they chase two bag snatchers in Jomtien

webfact

Russian Pedestrian shot by Police as they chase two bag snatchers in Jomtien

russian-22.jpg

PATTAYA: -- A 27 year old Russian Tourist is facing up to 6 months of rehabilitation after she was shot in her ankle as Police chased two suspected bag snatchers in Jomtien.

The incident began late on Saturday Night on Jomtien Second Road where the two suspects, Khun Akkarapon aged 18 and a 17 year old boy who cannot be named for legal reasons, are accused of stealing a bag containing 6,000 Baht in cash from Miss Tatina Loudin aged 42, a Russian National.

As the two men attempted to escape they were chased by Police and continually refused to stop despite Police shouting at them and threatening to shoot them if they continued to attempt their escape.

As the chase approached the Tepprasit Road junction with Jomtien Second Road, one of the chasing officers opened fire and the two suspects fell from their bike and were arrested. The 17 year old boy was taken to Hospital suffering from leg injuries and remains there at this time. Later the suspects confessed to snatching the bag as they needed money to celebrate the forthcoming New Year.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/159377/russian-pedestrian-shot-by-police-as-they-chase-two-bag-snatchers-in-jomtien/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-12-15

• Like 1

i suppose it is more usual to have no shoot policy/guidelines when it is a crowded area and the suspects are not dangerous. Typically...most places? - i dunno, can't say most. But this seems odd. It's more likely than not that someone else is going to get hit. Police generally use hardball bullets, they ricochet, off buildings and pavement.

• Like 1

I am not a supporter of the RTP in any way, but, they admitted their mistake, are paying all the medical bills, repatriation and remedial therapy costs.............this time.

Would be hard for them not too.

What would the excuse be? I was shooting in the air or aiming at the bike in populated area

excuse: "It's a farang made bullet and it didn't understand where it was supposed to go."

tongue.png

• Like 1

The sooner that civilians are allowed to carry arms the better what is needed is a Thai NRA, no more punch ups.

Firearms are used in a public space with the result that an innocent person got wounded.

And your solution is to introduce more firearms?

I have trouble following your reasoning.

Sorry its probably a bit early in the morning but I always enjoy the argument that's put forward that somehow more guns make us safer. As if to reinforce this point we have people in the USA strolling into malls etc fully armed in order to protect this right. Just the thought of being in a cafe and seeing guys strolling through the door with automatic weapons makes me feel a whole lot safer as you can imagine.

• Like 1

Unlike cops almost anywhere else in the world, cops in Thailand shoot first and aim later,

any chase is a good reason to discharge their fir arms and the hell with the consequences,

it has been many instances where innocents bystanders got hurt, yet, the open fire regulations

are still the same, shoot first, will clean up the mass later...

• Like 1

I am certainly not condoning the Thail police for this action but it does happen elsewhere as well.

I was in Chicago years ago when some guys robbed a jewelry store in the downtown area. Cops came by and shot at the subjects fleeing the store and hit a lady waiting for a bus.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The sooner that civilians are allowed to carry arms the better what is needed is a Thai NRA, no more punch ups.

So, a tourist could then hypothetically arm themselves after arriving in Thailand, even though it would be against the laws of their country of origin?

Wonder would visa exempt also cover that?

Sometimes, a little more time spent on the drawing board produces better statements don't you think?

Firearms are used in a public space with the result that an innocent person got wounded.

And your solution is to introduce more firearms?

I have trouble following your reasoning.

Sorry its probably a bit early in the morning but I always enjoy the argument that's put forward that somehow more guns make us safer. As if to reinforce this point we have people in the USA strolling into malls etc fully armed in order to protect this right. Just the thought of being in a cafe and seeing guys strolling through the door with automatic weapons makes me feel a whole lot safer as you can imagine.

Yes and imagine how safe all the American schools will be if all students carried automatic weapons such as uzis and AKs, not just the lunatics.

• Like 1