American stabbed as he intervenes in domestic dispute in South Pattaya

webfact

incomprehensible logic : The American was intervening on behalf of the Thai girl and she attacks him for helping her ?

This is a very common syndrome. Same thing happened to me years ago. The wife will often defend her husband, when he is attacked. Most likely she has no self esteem remaining, if she has been with an idiot like this for years. So, she is going to defend what is hers, and she will likely not side with a stranger who is fighting the father of her child. Common sense stuff. Beware of this kind of intervention. It is very unwise. Unless you are a black belt in the martial arts, and even then it is risky, as this guy found out. He has his back to the wife. Not wise.

• Like 2

That' why people like you turn a blind eye, until you help and cry wolf. Exactly, what is wrong in Thai society.

Yeah, this kind of answers all the threads we had about "should i intervene, when my neighbor hits his wife?"

The sad thing is, that the best advice in Thailand, is that its best to mind your own business. sad.png

incomprehensible logic : The American was intervening on behalf of the Thai girl and she attacks him for helping her ?

Why is it incomprehensible?

Perhaps you are not considering the female logic.

He is her husband. This is how she controls (manipulates) him.

Then someone comes in the middle and poses a threat to her possession.

""Hell knows no fury like a woman scorned (as in trying to take control from her)"

If you do not believe that a woman controls a man then ask any other woman or maybe a guy who was/is married.cheesy.gif

• Like 2

Americans will lend a hand. We have the good Samaritan law. If you are trying to help a heart attack victim, or drowning victim with CPR (yes, many lives are saved each year) you are protected from a law suit. This is a good thing.

The way some of you talk, I would not want to be in your countries if it happened to me.

Butting into someone's personal business is quite different.

• Like 1

During the fracas, he (Mr Kant) ended up fighting with Mr. Samir who was smaller and was clearly no match for Mr. Kant.----webfact

Of course that had no baring on why he decided to buy into a fight with total strangers............much...............coffee1.gif

• Like 1

During the fracas, he (Mr Kant) ended up fighting with Mr. Samir who was smaller and was clearly no match for Mr. Kant.----webfact

Of course that had no baring on why he decided to buy into a fight with total strangers............much...............coffee1.gif

Meaning..........?

maybe the american didnt know the man and woman were married, maybe he thought it was one of many Arabic men abusing local women(quite common) and decided to stand up for the Thai??? How was he to know they were married?? and what was a thai lady doing with a knife in her bag?? crackpots every where

"Mr. Hamidi Samir aged 28 from France"

Gotta love those traditional French names!

maybe the american didnt know the man and woman were married, maybe he thought it was one of many Arabic men abusing local women(quite common) and decided to stand up for the Thai??? How was he to know they were married?? and what was a thai lady doing with a knife in her bag?? crackpots every where

Foreigners need to learn to mind their own business, or face the consequences.

(Thai ladies often carry a knife, and will use it)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I have seen a similar situation where someone tried to break up a couple fighting. They stopped fighting and both turned on the interloper.

This is exactly why I have both the Tourist and local police on my phone's speed dial.

I want to intervene as effectively as I can. Being 70 has something to do with it.

Having them on speed dial is the easy part !.......Getting them to answer your call could be the hard bit! Edited by 007cableguy

While the child having to witness it is distrssing, the OP and the article both suggest that it was a verbal argument only when the American happened on the scene. Though his heart might've been in the right place, he probably should've just kept walking, distressed, crying child or no. Now if there was something physical going on, and the child perceived to be at risk, that might be different (but even then, as a foreigner, one would have to weigh the intervention alternatives carefully; any police around to be called over? other locals looking concerned? etc.). For a foreigner to step in sounds very likely to make things worse rather than better 9 times out of ten. If it were me & I was convinced something needed to be done, this being a busy street, I think I might step into the nearest shop and politely suggest the mgr or owner or employee just call the police, and then butt out. Child in imminent danger? That's another ballgame.

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 1

I've often wondered how a Thai woman would react if you went after her with a walking stick the instant she picked up that knife, but I cant see any way of 'winning' in this situation. Once that red mist descends, you're dealing with a crazy person not the woman you knew an hour earlier. I still wonder how the other Thais would have reacted if I'd dropped her instead of getting the hell out of there, but that's all academic - everything changes when that metal blade appears in the hand of someone intent on doing you harm. Esp nasty for our American friend - stabbed in the back - but some of the footage of knife wounds on YT is even more horrific.

I've often wondered how a Thai woman would react if you went after her with a walking stick the instant she picked up that knife, but I cant see any way of 'winning' in this situation. Once that red mist descends, you're dealing with a crazy person not the woman you knew an hour earlier. I still wonder how the other Thais would have reacted if I'd dropped her instead of getting the hell out of there, but that's all academic - everything changes when that metal blade appears in the hand of someone intent on doing you harm. Esp nasty for our American friend - stabbed in the back - but some of the footage of knife wounds on YT is even more horrific.

Thai guys run when she pulls a knife, even Thai police run.

For the guy it's always a no win situation.

Should be an attempted murder charge. Sorry for the Yank but never come between a husband and a wife.

And that's why males can go on beating females and children. Not my business.

Usually when a woman is being beaten, she is grateful for someone to help her.

This man showed an act of bravery and is the victim.

Once again the victim is held responsible. The blame must always be placed squarely on the shoulder of the criminal. In this case the man who was using domestic violence and the crazy woman who tried to kill the person who helped her. Hope they both go to prison for cooling off.

• Like 1

Tourism for Dummies...do not intervene in a Thai dispute...domestic or otherwise...you are likely to get both parties riled up and trying to do you bodily harm...shame for the little girl...but after all...this is not an abnormal scene in Thailand...

Not just Thai, ended up a 3 way international incident!

If it is a Thai couple fighting, I will just keep on walking . If a child is being beaten, I will

stop it. A man has to draw the line somewhere. But in these situations, time is your enemy.

As this guy learned, while you are playing Queensbury rules with the man, the wife is now

pulling out her knife. So the rule is to end the fight instantly, and do not spend one second

worrying about fighting rules, as in essence there are none here.....