using "Paypal Here" in Thailand?

Is anyone using Paypal Here to receive payments in Thailand? My Thai wife needs a way to accept credit card payments. Paypal Here aspires to be a global service, but I don't find any announcement that they accept business in Thailand. My wife has US bank accounts.

Is anyone using Paypal Here to receive payments in Thailand? My Thai wife needs a way to accept credit card payments. Paypal Here aspires to be a global service, but I don't find any announcement that they accept business in Thailand. My wife has US bank accounts.

I buy and sell on eBay and use PayPal for both make payments and to receive payments and have used the PayPal account for payments & receipts other than eBay. It's connected to my Bank America bank account in the US as well as to a US based Citibank credit card.

For awhile there was some hassle because I use my US address for the bank and credit card, but wanted my shipping address in Thailand. Eventually got it sorted out.

Edited by Suradit69

Don't know if the op wants to process credit cards from Thai customers? Paypal can process credit cards, but it only works in some countries. With all the card fraud in Thailand, it will not work here. You can get a merchant account here with the banks, but you have to go through a vetting process: you need to supply business registration documents, bank statements etc. One other possibility is to open an online store that includes card processing - i believe Amazon and Vendio stores can do this for you.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Yes you can use Paypal here, let me explain a few rules for the less known as I have 2 Paypal accounts.

Normally it's only allowed to have one Paypal account, however if you live in two countries you can have two accounts, for the simple reason that there's a limitation on cashing out.

If you open a Paypal account in let's say the UK, you can only cash out to a UK registered bank account, and you need to verify your account with a utilitybill and credit card from the UK.

What I did was open a second Paypal account in Thailand, and to verify it I opened a Kasikorn bank account which gave me a debitcard which worked for verification, I also send them a copy of my Truevision and 3BB bill, with my name and address on it so now the account is fully verified.

Now if I want to transfer money from my Dutch Paypal to my Thai Paypal I can send it as friends, so that I pay a minimum on transaction fees, I think it's only about $20 for a $5000,- transfer. I get paid in dollars so if I want to cash it out to my Dutch bank I pay exchange fees, then when I send it from my Dutch to my Thai bank I have to pay exchange fees again.

So what I do instead, I send it for close to zero cost from my Dutch Paypal to my Thai Paypal in dollars, and then I cash out from my Thai Paypal to my Kasikorn bank and as such only pay exchange costs once, instead of twice, plus I can send it whenever I want, eg when the exchange rates are interesting enough, plus that way you also avoid ATM fees a 180 baht.

People sometimes ask how to move money outside the country, well you can also do it the other way around, fund your Thai Paypal using your Thai bank, and from there sending it over to the Paypal registered in your home country and cash it out to your bank. Can be a bit expensive though as you do pay approx 2.5% exchange fees.