After 18 years, executed Mongolian man found not guilty

webfact

After 18 years, executed Mongolian man found not guilty
News Desk
China Daily

(ANN) A man who was executed in 1996 for raping and murdering a woman in a public toilet in Hohhot on April 9, 1996, has been found not guilty by Inner Mongolia Higher People's Court, according to CCTV.

Vice president of the higher court Zhao Jianping, on behalf of the court, expressed profound apology for the mistake made in sentencing him, while delivering the retrial verdict to Hugjiltu's parents at their home in Hohhot, capital of Inner Mongolia autonomous region on Monday morning.

The court also offered 30,000 yuan (US$4,500) in compensation to the family, and pledged further compensastion.

Hugjiltu, who was 18 at the time, was sentenced to death and executed in June 1996.

Earlier this month, Inner Mongolia Public Security Bureau had established a team to investigate all the police officers involved in the processing of the case in 1996, to find out the policemen, prosecutors and judges who could be blamed for the wrongly executed case. The team is led by bureau's deputy head.

The lawyer representing Hugjiltu said a process will be initiated to ask for state compensation since his client was exonerated.

The court rescinded the previous ruling on the grounds that Hugjiltu's confession on how he committed the crime contradicted with the victim's postmortem report. In addition, his account of the woman he "murdered", didn't match with the victim, a young woman surnamed Yang, including the appearance and accent.

The presiding judge at the Inner Mongolia Higher People's Court in Bobatu ordered a retrial on Nov 20 in absentia notice to the parents of Hugjiltu.

However, since his sentence, another alleged serial rapist and killer, Zhao Zhihong, confessed to the murder after he was arrested in 2005.

The court held a press conference Monday to announce the verdict.

Miao Li, the lawyer representing Hugjiltu's family, said by reviewing files she found no evidence supporting that Hugjiltu raped and murdered the woman. "According to the principle of presumption of innocence, the exoneration is not out of question." she said.

Source: http://www.asianewsnet.net/news-69068.html

ann.jpg
-- ANN 2014-12-15

as was said by a smart guy ..better 10 guilty go free than the execution of 1 inoccent man.....

And then the 10 guilty go off and kill another 10...

What kind of statement is that ? The spineless and thoese who lack of integrity, sense of fairness boggle the mind on this site sometimes. Just another example of the alcohol soaked minds that wonder these pages.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

as was said by a smart guy ..better 10 guilty go free than the execution of 1 inoccent man.....

This is precisely why I oppose the death penalty. A simple Google search will confirm that the vast preponderance of research on whether or not the death penalty acts as an effective deterrent shows this not to be the case. While there are a very few isolated studies to the contrary, the evidence is overwhelming that the death penalty does little, if anything, to deter would be criminals. Life in prison, without the possibility of parole, is a much more effective means of dealing with the scum we are forced to live with, and is, in my opinion, a far worse fate. To those who would espouse the position that life in prison is equivalent to a paid vacation, I would simply point to my son's own experience. A very hard headed kid, he spent two years in maximum security for possession with intent (he was sentenced to five, knocked down to three for his voluntary surrender upon learning of the warrant, and reduced another one for his voluntary participation in a "boot camp" program that was extra hard on the participants, and earned them credit for good behavior and completion of the program). My son has related how hardly a day went by that someone wasn't beaten to a pulp by other prisoners, knifed, or gang raped. If that's your idea of a vacation, you might want to change travel agents.

I would also point to Timothy McVeigh, the Oklahoma City bomber. McVeigh wanted to be executed rather than spend his life in prison. So, we gave the murderer what he wanted. IMHO, the scum bag should have been forced to spend his life in general population, his life one endless progression of terrified days. The death penalty is forever. Since 2000, in the US alone, there have been 24 people released from death row after having their convictions overturned. That's 24 innocent people who would h ave died.

"A simple Google search will confirm that the vast preponderance of research on whether or not the death penalty acts as an effective deterrent shows this not to be the case." The reason why is clear to me. In most states they never apply the death penalty, they just sit on death row or it takes 10 or more years to execute the sentence. What kind of a deterrent is that... There should be an automatic appeal, if the appeal fails then complete the sentence...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is precisely why I oppose the death penalty. A simple Google search will confirm that the vast preponderance of research on whether or not the death penalty acts as an effective deterrent shows this not to be the case. While there are a very few isolated studies to the contrary, the evidence is overwhelming that the death penalty does little, if anything, to deter would be criminals. Life in prison, without the possibility of parole, is a much more effective means of dealing with the scum we are forced to live with, and is, in my opinion, a far worse fate. To those who would espouse the position that life in prison is equivalent to a paid vacation, I would simply point to my son's own experience. A very hard headed kid, he spent two years in maximum security for possession with intent (he was sentenced to five, knocked down to three for his voluntary surrender upon learning of the warrant, and reduced another one for his voluntary participation in a "boot camp" program that was extra hard on the participants, and earned them credit for good behavior and completion of the program). My son has related how hardly a day went by that someone wasn't beaten to a pulp by other prisoners, knifed, or gang raped. If that's your idea of a vacation, you might want to change travel agents.

I would also point to Timothy McVeigh, the Oklahoma City bomber. McVeigh wanted to be executed rather than spend his life in prison. So, we gave the murderer what he wanted. IMHO, the scum bag should have been forced to spend his life in general population, his life one endless progression of terrified days. The death penalty is forever. Since 2000, in the US alone, there have been 24 people released from death row after having their convictions overturned. That's 24 innocent people who would h ave died.

"A simple Google search will confirm that the vast preponderance of research on whether or not the death penalty acts as an effective deterrent shows this not to be the case." The reason why is clear to me. In most states they never apply the death penalty, they just sit on death row or it takes 10 or more years to execute the sentence. What kind of a deterrent is that... There should be an automatic appeal, if the appeal fails then complete the sentence...

The death sentence should not be considered a deterrent. It is simply a way of removing the offender from society.

• Like 1

I hope Thailand takes notice of this awful story.

Oh for Heaven's sake,is there no negative news that someone doesn't decide is directly connected to Thailand, and if anyone should take notice, when it comes to unsound convictions, the west has as much to take notice of as anyone else.

The list below is just those scheduled to die in the first few months of 2015 in Texas and they don't require much to sentence someone to death.

post-145917-0-18298200-1418651793_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

What kind of statement is that ? The spineless and thoese who lack of integrity, sense of fairness boggle the mind on this site sometimes. Just another example of the alcohol soaked minds that wonder these pages.

I would like to respond to this, but I have no clue what it means.

Except the bit about 'alcohol soaked minds', which seems appropriate for what's written.

They may want to wait until all the evidence has been thoroughly investigated before the execution...in the future...or do like other countries and sweep the evidence under the rug to protect the guilty party...

I wonder if the executed man had a criminal record. Not to say that his death would be justified but it often seems, in the US at least, that these situations often involve arresting and convicting a real dirtbag. It seems like karma kinda comes around for people in the scumbag business. It seems I never get wrongly accused of anything and subsequently scuttled of to jail and the electric chair. Sad story nonetheless and the $4500 is a real kick in the ribs.

I would also point to Timothy McVeigh, the Oklahoma City bomber. McVeigh wanted to be executed rather than spend his life in prison. So, we gave the murderer what he wanted. IMHO, the scum bag should have been forced to spend his life in general population, his life one endless progression of terrified days. The death penalty is forever. Since 2000, in the US alone, there have been 24 people released from death row after having their convictions overturned. That's 24 innocent people who would have died.

I am sure the guy who rapes and murders your children will be happy to hear you support him in his bid to avoid the death penalty.

It seems I never get wrongly accused of anything and subsequently scuttled of to jail and the electric chair.

So how many lifes did you live until now?

Just one?

And when did it end?

Oh not ended now...

How comes that you are so sure that you won't be wrongly accused and electrocuted? tongue.png

If you get it's too late...

Bye,

Derk

I would also point to Timothy McVeigh, the Oklahoma City bomber. McVeigh wanted to be executed rather than spend his life in prison. So, we gave the murderer what he wanted. IMHO, the scum bag should have been forced to spend his life in general population, his life one endless progression of terrified days. The death penalty is forever. Since 2000, in the US alone, there have been 24 people released from death row after having their convictions overturned. That's 24 innocent people who would have died.

The death penalty is effective, maybe not for the prisoner but it certainly gives closure for the family of the victim. It’s a lot easier to say and believe you’re against the death penalty when you have never been faced with a crime like the horror of someone raping and killing your daughter.

I don’t know, thankfully I have never been affected by a situation like that but maybe the only peace and closure for families of victims of these types of crimes is to wipe that degenerate filth infecting our planet off the face of this earth.

• Like 1

Benroon

My take is that if I could make the law it would read that unless there is absolute 100% undeniable proof of the crime that the death penalty would not be permitted, convictions on circumstantial evidence would not have the option of the death penalty.

However I believe the death penalty for heinous crimes is proper revenge for the family of the victim and a just reaction for the perpetrator to expect. An eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth.

Better if the 10 guilty get jailed for life. At least they have a chance to appeal any miscarriage of justice unlike the poor guy in question.

• Like 1

The death penalty is effective, maybe not for the prisoner but it certainly gives closure for the family of the victim. It’s a lot easier to say and believe you’re against the death penalty when you have never been faced with a crime like the horror of someone raping and killing your daughter.

I don’t know, thankfully I have never been affected by a situation like that but maybe the only peace and closure for families of victims of these types of crimes is to wipe that degenerate filth infecting our planet off the face of this earth.

You kind of contradicted yourself there. You said "It’s a lot easier to say and believe you’re against the death penalty when you have never been faced with a crime like the horror of someone raping and killing your daughter." . So how can you say that the death penalty is effective and gives closure for the families when you admit "I don’t know, thankfully I have never been affected by a situation like that"? If you can be pro death penalty without having been affected then surely others can be anti death penalty without having been affected?