Another Great Example Of Thai Road Awareness.

RustBucket

30 years driving in the UK and I only ever saw one road accident. In 5 years of driving in Thailand I have probably seen more than 30.

What is the problem?... Surely all humans no matter where they are born, have the same levels of attention and awareness???

This happened just around the corner from my house this afternoon in Korat.

I dont know if I can blame it all on police neglect to enforce road traffic laws, I think a lot of blame lies with the Thai people as well.

• Like 2

Hope the motorcycle rider is ok and makes a full recovery.

Happens all over the world that car/truck drivers pull out on approaching bikes without looking.

But TIT and i've got images in my head of quite a few Thai's looking at the motorbike in the middle of the road, stratching their heads as to where the rider is? Must of done a runner, no insurance, tax or licence? facepalm.gif

Then RustBucket comes walking around the corner and tells them, "there hiding in the back of the truck" wink.png

I know, i've been watching too many Thai soaps biggrin.png

Edited by Boycie

pick up at fault but the motorcycle looks like he didnt even brake in anyway?

They guy had a helmet on but not done up properly/at all as usual as it comes flying off.

Edited by kannot

The fact that no one seems to know which side to give way to doesnt help. Give way to the left or right? Oh well, i will just start driving across the ontersection (btw you are supposed to give way to the LEFT here!)

I wouldnt blame the pick up driver at all. The motorcyclist was in dream world ld, never touched his brakes.

Thailand is based on the British Highway Code.

You give way to traffic coming from the right.

That would put the m/c in the wrong at an unmarked junction.

Edited by WhamBam
  • Like 2

What is the problem?... Surely all humans no matter where they are born, have the same levels of attention and awareness???

giggle.gif

As i have said many times ,if your average Thai drivers brains were made of gunpowder ,he couldnt blow his hat offsad.png

• Like 1

The fact that no one seems to know which side to give way to doesnt help. Give way to the left or right? Oh well, i will just start driving across the ontersection (btw you are supposed to give way to the LEFT here!)

I wouldnt blame the pick up driver at all. The motorcyclist was in dream world ld, never touched his brakes.

There is no particular side to give way... This is a crossroads, not a roundabout where you give way to the right. There is a clear give way line in front of the pickup, so the pickup MUST to give way to the left and the right, and not move off till the road is totally clear.

I go through that intersection all the time, where the pickup was, you can see 200 meters both ways up and down that road. He HAD TO HAVE seen the bike and what speed it was doing. He should NEVER have pulled out and expect the bike to stop for him.

He either never looked at all, or he just had the attitude that he has more right on the road as the biker.

The bike had the right of way.

• Like 2

On roundabouts yes, give way to traffic coming from the right. In other cases, give way to traffic coming from the left (presuming the roads are equal of course).

• Like 1

On roundabouts yes, give way to traffic coming from the right. In other cases, give way to traffic coming from the left (presuming the roads are equal of course).

Correct, the standing rule is give way to your left, not your right.

What?

Man, you do not know how to negotiate a crossroad, I pray you do not get behind the wheel of a car.

What?

Man, you do not know how to negotiate a crossroad, I pray you do not get behind the wheel of a car.

IMHO is correct. On equal roads, give way to the left, on roundabouts, give way to the right (so traffic on the circle).

In this case, with non-equal roads, the pickup should have given way. On top of that, the bike was coming from the left anyway.

What?

Mr RustBucket, we are talking about the Thai highway code here, not the UK one, or South Africa, Australia or Japan.

In Thailand, you give way to the left. Those who don't know that are a danger to all and probably shouldn't have a license.

• Like 1

Looks like some posters on here either don't have a Thai drivers license or have no idea of Thai road rules! Lmao.

When I got my Thai dl 8 Years ago I was flabbergasted to find I got that give way to the left wrong. When I pointed out to them that Thailand is the only country where you give way to the left the guy quite proudly stated "yes! This is Thailand!!" go figure.

Edited by Bung

Looks like some posters on here either don't have a Thai drivers license or have no idea of Thai road rules! Lmao.

Having Thai DL and knowing the road rules are totally irrelevant matters in Thailand.

Half of police force does not have a clue about road rules and a large number of population never had drivers license.

• Like 1

Having Thai DL and knowing the road rules are totally irrelevant matters in Thailand.

Half of police force does not have a clue about road rules and a large number of population never had drivers license.

Don't confuse roadside shakedowns with a lack of knowledge :P

• Like 1

What?

The attached pdf has been posted on here many times but for those who aren't aware what IMHO says above, here's an English language version of the Road Traffic Act:-

Thai Traffic Laws.pdf

Ref. Page 11 -- Title 6; Sect.71 and Page 12 -- Title 6, Sect. 73.

The fact that almost nobody seems aware of this - especially the roundabout - is a completely different discussion.