Another Great Example Of Thai Road Awareness.

RustBucket

"Surely all humans no matter where they are born, have the same levels of attention and awareness???"

I wouldn't be too sure about that!

As a small example, just look how long it takes before cars start moving here when the light turns green.

A few years ago I did the reaction test as part of the procedure to extend my driving license. There where about 50 Thai's, me and 1 more older European. At 48 years old I was the fastest with a big margin, followed by the other European who I estimate at about 60, all others where much slower with some even failing the threshold. I don't know why, but I'm sure there is something. By the way the test was sitting on a chair and you had to push a button with your feet when a light in front changed from green to red, not an uncommon situation for people who drive cars or motorcycles...

"Surely all humans no matter where they are born, have the same levels of attention and awareness???"

As a small example, just look how long it takes before cars start moving here when the light turns green.

A few years ago I did the reaction test as part of the procedure to extend my driving license. There where about 50 Thai's, me and 1 more older European. At 48 years old I was the fastest with a big margin, followed by the other European who I estimate at about 60, all others where much slower with some even failing the threshold. I don't know why, but I'm sure there is something. By the way the test was sitting on a chair and you had to push a button with your feet when a light in front changed from green to red, not an uncommon situation for people who drive cars or motorcycles...

So you think Thai's have slow reaction time huh? Try pissing one off and see how they go then :P

• Like 1

There is a traffic law in Thailand but it has been replaced b the Amulet Code:

you speed in from the left, you hurl yourself in from the right, you dive-bomb in from above, and you tear up the tarmac from any which way..., then you all meet in center and explode...the one with the stronger amulet survives.

• Like 2

What?

Man, you do not know how to negotiate a crossroad, I pray you do not get behind the wheel of a car.

Mr RustBucket, we are talking about the Thai highway code here, not the UK one, or South Africa, Australia or Japan.

In Thailand, you give way to the left. Those who don't know that are a danger to all and probably shouldn't have a license.

[/quote

Solid white line across the road where the pickup stopped, indicating he must stop and give way to traffic from both left and right directions on the main road.

What?

Man, you do not know how to negotiate a crossroad, I pray you do not get behind the wheel of a car.

Mr RustBucket, we are talking about the Thai highway code here, not the UK one, or South Africa, Australia or Japan.

In Thailand, you give way to the left. Those who don't know that are a danger to all and probably shouldn't have a license.

[/quote

Solid white line across the road where the pickup stopped, indicating he must stop and give way to traffic from both left and right directions on the main road.

How does that change who's to blame? Same same :)

What?

[/quote

How does that change who's to blame? Same same :)

Bike rider had right of way. Pickup should not have crossed if he could not have cleared the crossing without causing traffic with the right of way to avoid him. That said the bike rider seemed to be paying little attention to what was going on around him.

What?

[/quote

How does that change who's to blame? Same same smile.png

Bike rider had right of way. Pickup should not have crossed if he could not have cleared the crossing without causing traffic with the right of way to avoid him. That said the bike rider seemed to be paying little attention to what was going on around him.

This was covered already on the previous page. Bikerider had right of way because his road was of higher importance than the road the pickup was driving on. But had that not been the case he would still have had right of way because he came from the left. And that is what IMHO was pointing out.

• Like 2

Interesting comments trying to determine who is at "fault" here - there is clear fault by both parties

But putting that aside, that's hardly the point now is it?!

That motorbike rider had plenty of time to go around the truck or slowdown - clearly wasn't watching at all, probably had a singha in one hand, his phone in the other and his cock in the other

Rules and regs isn't the primary issue here, it's unnecessary risk taking that is the biggest problem on Thai roads

Edited by Tuskfish
  • Like 1

Interesting comments trying to determine who is at "fault" here - there is clear fault by both parties

That motorbike rider had plenty of time to go around the truck or slowdown - clearly wasn't watching at all, probably had a singha in one hand, his phone in the other and his cock in the other

Rules and regs isn't the primary issue here, it's unnecessary risk taking that is the biggest problem on Thai roads

And it is unnecessary and unfounded rudeness towards other people that is the biggest problem on TV.

• Like 1

And it is unnecessary and unfounded rudeness towards other people that is the biggest problem on TV.

Hi Steven

I completely agree,

I hope you're not suggesting I was being rude to other members? It certainly wasn't my intention.

I was simply hinting that the rider should take more care.

smile.png

Edited by Tuskfish

Hi Steven

I completely agree,

I hope you're not suggesting I was being rude to other members? It certainly wasn't my intention.

smile.png

No, not to other members.

Hi Steven

I completely agree,

smile.png

OK great, unless you're a personally offended in some way I don't really get the connection between your comment and mine?

If you are offended, please accept my apologies. Nothing was directed at you.

Enjoy your night Steven

Edited by Tuskfish

I worked in the Gulf Middle East for many years, half in the UAE and half in Saudi. I've driven a lot in Chiang Mai. It's a piece of cake compared to the ME. Driving in Chiang Mai is like having a Hennesy brandy in a jacuzzi compared to driving in Saudi Arabia.

Edited by Dustdevil
  • Like 1

Hi Steven

I completely agree,

smile.png

Is that a Sebring in you profile photo?

Oops, sorry wrong poster.

Edited by Enoon

I worked in the Gulf Middle East for many years, half in the UAE and half in Saudi. I've driven a lot in Chiang Mai. It's a piece of cake compared to the ME. Driving in Chiang Mai is like having a Hennesy brandy in a jacuzzi compared to driving in Saudi Arabia.

Ok so still a little rough going. A good port and a jacuzzi though.... :P

The fact that no one seems to know which side to give way to doesnt help. Give way to the left or right? Oh well, i will just start driving across the ontersection (btw you are supposed to give way to the LEFT here!)

I wouldnt blame the pick up driver at all. The motorcyclist was in dream world ld, never touched his brakes.

There is no particular side to give way... This is a crossroads, not a roundabout where you give way to the right. There is a clear give way line in front of the pickup, so the pickup MUST to give way to the left and the right, and not move off till the road is totally clear.

I go through that intersection all the time, where the pickup was, you can see 200 meters both ways up and down that road. He HAD TO HAVE seen the bike and what speed it was doing. He should NEVER have pulled out and expect the bike to stop for him.

He either never looked at all, or he just had the attitude that he has more right on the road as the biker.

The bike had the right of way.

The pickup is a pretty large unit, and the bike ought to have seen him, but seems not to have even have tried to mitigate the results. Right of way or not, I would say, as a fairly experienced sailor that at sea in theory power gives way to sail, but one soon learns that self-preservation trumps any right of way rules and if he is much bigger than you.....

• Like 2

if you are still doing the blame game I say the motorcycle is in the wrong. when the car was going to the intersection there was a flashing yellow light so I assume the bike had a red flashing light. I have driven in Thailand 6 years and have not seen 1 accident. been on the scene shortly after a lot of times but not been involved. the one thing that gets me is when someone is killed they just leave the body uncovered at the scene until they finish all the pictures and measurements which can take a few hours

Seems most are experienced drivers - never rely on the green traffic light in LOS , there is a probability of 50% that someone is trying to cross on "dark red". At home, I would nearly passed the crossing, when I am here just starting to accelerate.

Just back from a road trip to Mukdahan, the amount of vehicles coming towards me on the wrong side of the road was dreadful. Call me a Thai basher if you like, nice honest and decent most of them are, but put them behind the wheel of a vehicle, and these same people have very low mentality.

Yes, the vast majority of Thai people are stupid, I call things as I see them, but feel free to disagree with me if you want.

• Like 2

So you think Thai's have slow reaction time huh? Try pissing one off and see how they go then tongue.png

Yes, but only with another six backing them up.

I'm driving here 12 years now both pick-up and motorbike and I am no nearer understanding why on God's earth do they pull out right in front of me when they are coming out of a side road.and I am on the main road and in most cases there is nothing behind me, they just had to wait till i passed...it's like they are saying to themselves..."I'm not going to yield, so i'll make him do it", so they make the car that's coming on the main road do the braking or pull out around them (not a good idea). I'd love sometime to have one of them charged with attempted murder..(I have a dash cam).