How can I get Thai citizenship/nationality/passport?

Greetings all,

1) I've been living in Thailand for 8 years (not working)

2) My nationality is USA, born and raised

3) My mother is 100% Thai

I've been living in Thailand on a none immigrant visa because my mother is Thai. But I would like to gain citizenship, so that it is easier for me to find work. For years now I've had issues with finding a job, I'm a trained cook, I've done a 6 month internship (no pay) in a Bangkok hotel a few years ago, and now trying to get into some other hotels/restaurants. However people won't hire me because they don't want to pay a high wage to a foreigner, when they can find a Thai for a cheaper price. This is very frustrating for me, because it's important that I have a job and earn income. I don't necessary need the farang wage, and would be fine working for a reasonable Thai wage. But I have not had any luck.

Over the past year, I've gone around Bangkok, to the immigration offices..ect, to find info and somebody to assist me. To no luck, of course.

A lot of what I've read online seems for complicated, it required pages and pages of paper work, interviews, test..ect. There must be a better way.

Is there anybody here that has any knowledge of how I may go about obtaining citizenship/nationality/passport?

Thank you!

• Like 1

You already are Thai national by birth you just need proof of it.

The first thing you need is a Thai birth certificate issued by the embassy in Washington DC. You can do the application for it at Consular Affairs Department of the MFA in Bangkok and they will send it it to DC.. Documentary requirement are here: http://www.thaiembdc.org/dcdp/?q=Registration_of_Birth If your parents are in the states they could do the application at the embassy.

After you get the birth certificate you will then need to register at an Amphoe to get a Thai ID number and be entered on a house book and get a Thai ID card. Then you can apply for a Thai passport.

• Like 2

The first thing you need is a Thai birth certificate issued by the embassy in Washington DC. You can do the application for it at Consular Affairs Department of the MFA in Bangkok and they will send it it to DC.. Documentary requirement are here: http://www.thaiembdc.org/dcdp/?q=Registration_of_Birth If your parents are in the states they could do the application at the embassy.

After you get the birth certificate you will then need to register at an Amphoe to get a Thai ID number and be entered on a house book and get a Thai ID card. Then you can apply for a Thai passport.

Really? I forgot to mention my father is caucasian, I'm only half Thai. So does that still mean I'm technically Thai because of my mother?

Also, because I am under 30 years of age, if I end up getting my Thai ID, would I be required to do military service?

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by Rattmaster86

Really? I forgot to mention my father is caucasian, I'm only half Thai. So does that still mean I'm technically Thai because of my mother?

Also, because I am under 30 years of age, if I end up getting my Thai ID, would I be required to do military service?

Thanks for the reply.

Your not half Thai your 100% Thai

Yes, being under 30 means you will need to register for military service and risk being drafted.

That should stop any action cold. Best stay on visas and wait a while...

That should not be a stopper. It is just something he needs to be aware of.

Plenty of ways to get around it. Also if he is over 21 the chances of getting called is small. They do the draw for all those that have just turned 21.

• Like 1

Follow Ubonjoe's advice. You can claim citizenship by descent and it's not complicated. Don't worry about the draft issue. It's highly unlikely and, if your Thai language skills aren't so good, they probably wouldn't want you anyway wink.png

Why risk even a one percent chance of being drafted? Stay on visas and wait till you're thirty is my advice - ever heard of Sod's law?

im in the same boat... born in america, mother is thai, dad is white..and going to apply for citizenship.. just getting the money together to do so. if you need help with all the paperwork, I know of a company that can do that for you off of soi 13 on sukhumvit. let me know if you want their info wai2.gif

• Like 1

ubonjoe is correct, I've just applied a Thai citizenship to my son last month after 24 years living overseas. The process is not complicated as thought, the staff at the amphoe administration will do all the work, all you have to do is to provide them with required documents as advised by ubonjoe. As long as one of your parents is Thai, you are entitled to a Thai citizenship by law.

If you have a degree, a period of serving in a military service is shorten to just 6 months instead of 2 years. Plus with the knowledge your job would be in an administrative functions. Or if that doesn't apply to you, at least you can make use of your English skill. You never know you might end up as a professional military guy rather than a chef!

im in the same boat... born in america, mother is thai, dad is white..and going to apply for citizenship.. just getting the money together to do so. if you need help with all the paperwork, I know of a company that can do that for you off of soi 13 on sukhumvit. let me know if you want their info wai2.gif

You don't need agency to do this as you will have to go and supply the amphor yourself with your Thai parent and the house owner (the house where you're registering into). They will ask you some questions like when is your birthday, where do you work, etc. and if your Thai is not that good they won't ask many questions. All up it will take about two to three hours before you can have an ID card and become officially Thai.

Edited by Thai-Aust
  • Like 1

If your mother is Thai you do no need to apply for citizenship. All you to do is prove your Thai nationality by getting a Thai birth certificate if you don't have one already.

I can't see why you would need to get any money together the cost is not much at all. Unless you are paying a lot to an agent that is not needed.

• Like 2

You express yourself very well.

I've a young friend, very similar situation. Though, we've lost contact with each other.

My colleague is attorney in BKK - UK - USA. If you would like contact information, just reply to me. I rarely follow these posts after I look at them.

I actually have a life. You have right on your side, keep your faith.

As I wrote before you can do the application at the consular affairs department in Bangkok. They will forward the documents and application to the embassy in DC for them to do the birth certificate.

Here is their website in Thai; http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/home

Ok, Thank you udonjoe, you have been very helpful. The first thing I will do is take care of the birth certificate situation. At least I will try to and hope that I make some progress.

It's really hard to find anybody that knows anything in Thailand. I've made countless trips to immigration, consular office, amphors (petchaburi), and nobody seems to know anything. I've been sent to Bangkok, yet people over there can't seem to help either. I meet one person, they act smart, tell you one thing and send you somewhere else, and those people tell you something else and say the first guy was wrong. But that 2nd guy give bad information also. So it's hard to get real info when you are running around in circles, being helped by people who are clueless. And it doesn't help that I don't know much either, it's blind leading the blind around here. Seems like the farang know more about this than the actual Thai's working for the government. huh.png

As for the military issue, it's is something I am a little worried about. But as usual in Thailand, I'm sure there are ways out of it, I'm sure a bride to somebody is all it takes, I've heard a lot about that.

Edited by Rattmaster86
  • Like 1

Remember that if you have dual-nationality you could be liable for taxes in both countries.

The mayor of London,Boris Johnson, is currently facing a tax demand from the US taxman re: a property that he sold in London, Boris was born in New York and holds both US and UK citizenship.

As a US citizen you are liable for tax on your worldwide earnings, you are taxed due to citizenship rather than due to your place of residence, unlike most other major countries.

Maybe worth bearing in mind, and the best of luck with what you are trying to do.

Dear OP......#1 read everything Ubonjoe says carefully and take it as 99% true. Then read the other stuff and give it some random percentage. For anything you consider "very important", please try to take your mom with you to the proper administration building. As stated, give this just-given advice some random percentage......smile.png

I think the issue may be your age. I remember hearing something about dual nationalities needing to declare one or the other. Through no fault of your own you never had the choice to choose and are now over 18 have never served in the Thai military and hold a us passport.

Wrong

At the age of 20 a Thai holding dual nationalities has the choice of choosing one of the nationalities to keep but it is not mandatory. Prior to the age of 20 they could not do it because it was their parents choice.

• Like 1

As I wrote before you can do the application at the consular affairs department in Bangkok. They will forward the documents and application to the embassy in DC for them to do the birth certificate.

Here is their website in Thai; http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/home

Ok, Thank you udonjoe, you have been very helpful. The first thing I will do is take care of the birth certificate situation. At least I will try to and hope that I make some progress.

It's really hard to find anybody that knows anything in Thailand. I've made countless trips to immigration, consular office, amphors (petchaburi), and nobody seems to know anything. I've been sent to Bangkok, yet people over there can't seem to help either. I meet one person, they act smart, tell you one thing and send you somewhere else, and those people tell you something else and say the first guy was wrong. But that 2nd guy give bad information also. So it's hard to get real info when you are running around in circles, being helped by people who are clueless. And it doesn't help that I don't know much either, it's blind leading the blind around here. Seems like the farang know more about this than the actual Thai's working for the government. huh.png

As for the military issue, it's is something I am a little worried about. But as usual in Thailand, I'm sure there are ways out of it, I'm sure a bride to somebody is all it takes, I've heard a lot about that.

Getting the birth certificate is your first step. It should not be that hard to apply for since both your parents are here. Just contact the consular affairs department about it. After you have it will be fairly easy to get registered at the Amphoe where your mother is registered and be listed in the same house book as her.

Immigration would never be of any help because it is not their responsibility.

Within the country it is the interior ministry's responsibility to establish citizenship. The point of contact for them is the registrars office at an Amphoe. There is a long process of getting it done if your mother was not available by doing DNA testing with a family member.

Remember that if you have dual-nationality you could be liable for taxes in both countries.

The mayor of London,Boris Johnson, is currently facing a tax demand from the US taxman re: a property that he sold in London, Boris was born in New York and holds both US and UK citizenship.

As a US citizen you are liable for tax on your worldwide earnings, you are taxed due to citizenship rather than due to your place of residence, unlike most other major countries.

Maybe worth bearing in mind, and the best of luck with what you are trying to do.

Nothing changes if a person gets Thai citizenship.

It is the same rules for Thai's and foreigners. Stay in the country for more than 180 days in a calender year and you are liable for Thai taxes.

Don't let the naysayers discourage you. As the father of 4 that all went through the process it is not difficult, but does take time. The first thing is to get a certificated copy of your US state birth certificate and send it to the US State Department for authentication. They have a web site that explains how to do this. Once you have the authenticated birth certificate bound by the State Department (do not remove the cover or detach anything) fill out the Thai application form in Thai and follow the instructions on the web site UbonJoe provided for the MFA. Once you have the birth certificate you can be placed in a House Registration book and apply for and ID card. With the ID card you should then get a Thai Passport. Be patient but keep at it. It is well worth the effort.

You may have to give up your US Citizenship to become a Thai Citizen. Why don't you open your own restaurant?

He doesn't have to give up his US Citizenship as USA allows dual citizenship and he is already a Thai citizen because his mother is Thai (makes no difference where he was born) just needs to get his birth cirtificate and follow Ubonjoe's instructions.

And for my fellow Americans who pay taxes to IRS who are working over here you should check this out:

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Foreign-Earned-Income-Exclusion

This is USA Foreign Earned Income Exclusion which basically states that if you live and work overseas (not in USA for more than 330 days) you can make up to $96,700 USD and not pay any US Tax. Cannot be for a US company but if your a teacher or work for non US comapany you won't be taxed up to the exclusion amount.

This is USA Foreign Earned Income Exclusion which basically states that if you live and work overseas (not in USA for more than 330 days) you can make up to $96,700 USD and not pay any US Tax. Cannot be for a US company but if your a teacher or work for non US comapany you won't be taxed up to the exclusion amount.

You can work for a US company and get the exclusion. Been there done that. I worked for a company and was paid in the US and got it. I filed for an exemption and did not even have income taxes deducted (only social security).

Just a note beside all the good advice you've already got. Nobody is "half something". But some can be "both of some nationality".