Bicycle for 3 yr old

junglechef

My little one is on his way to being a world class downhill racer and is ready to upgrade from his tricycle to bicycle with training wheels. Any suggestions on where or what to get would be helpful. Looking for a good quality ride perhaps a 12 incher (size of wheel) or a 14", new or used but most interested in getting something on the higher end if there is such a thing available here.

Thanks,

JC

We live in Chiang Mai but happy to have shipped for go to BKK or cities near us (Chiang Rai, Lamphun, Lampang etc)

My 2-3yo [now 10] learned on a balance bike. Flying solo after about 20mins, but took until 3yo to get a grip on the brakes......

- http://www.firstbike.com/

Lightweight and still going strong on about its 5th owner. No pedals or training wheels to get in the way. Perfect for singletrack DH!

Agree with BFish. Current theory is that training wheels are counter-productive. "Scootering" will teach him better balance. At 3 years old he should be doing Flintstone stops.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I've heard that they quickly grow out of the balance bike, like after riding 3 mnths, and it's been suggested to just buy a regular bike and take off the pedals until they can glide 15 ft. There is a new Orbea store in Chiang Mai and sell the bike pictured, the frame extends so it suppose to be used from 3 yr old to 6 yr old so perhaps buying a good light bike and not paying for three cheaper ones incl a balance bike for now. It is 12,500 bht discounted to 10,500 bht but for years of fun it's worth it to me if it lives up to the billing. Anyone have any knowledge of these?

post-101742-0-98620200-1419666745_thumb.

• Like 1