Thai Immigration requires Statutory Declaration form for new passports?

Greetings,

I have just started the process to acquire a new passport at the US embassy in BKK. However, after I had left the building my company made it clear to me that I would need a "Statutory Declaration" along with my new passport for Immigration to process my visa. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this correct? Does immigration truly need a paper signed by me and verified by the embassy that the official document (my passport) is in fact an official document? Are these "Statutory Declaration" forms available at the embassy or will I need to write and print my own? Will I be able to process this document when I go to pick my passport up or will I need to scheduled a separate visit with my embassy in order to verify my passport for immigration? Does the idea of being required to provide a "statutory declaration" in order to verify the authenticity of a passport at the location that is supplying the passport anyway not seem counter-intuitive to anyone else?

It is not a statutory declaration. It is a simple letter stating you got a new passport.

The US embassy will give it to you along with your new passport without you even needing to ask for it.

Yes, when I got my new US passport a few months ago they automatically gave me the letter and pointed out I should hand it over to Immigrations when doing the transfer of stamps. Jomtien Immigrations was content with that.

• Like 1

Yes but as mentioned it will be supplied along with my passport, so no worries right?

I got a new one about 2 months ago and they gave me a letter along with it. I think it is standard that they include the letter. All it the letter contains is a request that immigration transfers your stamps to your new passport.

• Like 1

It would seem not to apply to new UK passports, I recently got my new passport and the visa stamps were re-entered into the new passport without any other documentation being asked for.

As said earlier in this topic. It all depends upon the immigration office you have to use.

Some will want the letter while others don't.

What about other nationalities. I am Canadian in Chiang Mai. Would other nationalities care to share any letter experiences.?

Immigration's requirements are the same for all nationalities.

If I recall correctly CM asks for the letter.

You would just have to be sure you get the letter from the Canadian embassy when you pickup your passport.