Best grass for a lawn in Thailand

What variety of grass is best for Issan and/or what variety is the sod they use here?

I've had sod laid but I'm not happy with all the bare areas between the small squares of sod and I'd like to obtain some grass seed in my travels to fill in the bare areas.

We replaced our narrow leaf with the broad leaf variety. Our gardener came with 3 helpers, dug up all the old grass, rolled out the new turf, all for a total of 1400 baht. Best money I ever spent, the new grass looks great, even in the more shaded areas.

Interesting, ive been looking at grass lately, Japanese what is the approx cost for 2400SQM?

I think you are getting ripped off, we bought for B 80 sqm 2 years back.

We also converted from thin leaved to the broad leave grass. The thin leave are however more hardy and take drought and extreme heat better. The reason we got rid of it was that it grows into flower beds and are difficult to get rid of once in. We spray the thin leaved grass with a herbicide then waited 10 days and sprayed the regrowth. After that we laid the sod's on top of the now dead grass. Even after this there were patches where the old grass grew again. After about 6 months we got the thin leaved grass totally out. I have found that the broad leave grass don't like too much fertilizer and we only use a slow release (non urea based) fertilizer that don't burn the grass roots.

Interesting, ive been looking at grass lately, Japanese what is the approx cost for 2400SQM?

We also converted from thin leaved to the broad leave grass. The thin leave are however more hardy and take drought and extreme heat better. The reason we got rid of it was that it grows into flower beds and are difficult to get rid of once in. We spray the thin leaved grass with a herbicide then waited 10 days and sprayed the regrowth. After that we laid the sod's on top of the now dead grass. Even after this there were patches where the old grass grew again. After about 6 months we got the thin leaved grass totally out. I have found that the broad leave grass don't like too much fertilizer and we only use a slow release (non urea based) fertilizer that don't burn the grass roots.

i have not purchased yet, i enquired to the approx cost for my garden which is 2400SQM .

i have not purchased yet, i enquired to the approx cost for my garden which is 2400SQM .

Sorry miss read your post. I forgot, when you buy the sod's you must check everyone for weeds. We had some suppliers which had more weeds than grass in their sods.

Depends on type, quality and where you purchase from.

I bought 800 sqm a few months ago from Nakhon Nayok for 15 Baht/sqm. I paid a further 4,000 Baht delivery to Buriram and the turf arrived in a Toyota pick up. One would assume that for 2,400 Baht it may be possible to use a larger vehicle and pay, say, 8,000 Baht as an equivalent (I don't know where you based).

As a simple answer to your question it is likely to be circa 36,000/48,000 Baht for the turf + delivery + labour costs for preparation and laying,

• Like 1

In South Africa my brother has a slow growing type of grass (1/2 inch a year) rye based I think-don't know whether it will do here in Thailand but when I get round to a lawn I'll give it a go and let you know!

Surprised I haven't seen Kikuyu grass here, but it would rapidly become invasive. In SA ours grew 1" a week, two with the rains!

Just a quick one (Off topic)....Use NPK fertilizer every 2-3 months(Viking Brand 16, 16 ,16),.. Also, Urea is to make the grass green...but use sparingly and really water in straight away....

Sorry millenial, I will now stay on topic ..

• Like 1

We replaced our narrow leaf with the broad leaf variety. Our gardener came with 3 helpers, dug up all the old grass, rolled out the new turf, all for a total of 1400 baht. Best money I ever spent, the new grass looks great, even in the more shaded areas.

Hey, just hire a gardener...... hee hee.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

any chance your gardener would replace my lawn ?

There are two main types in TH: Japanese narrow leaf, and Malay broad leaf. The former is best for areas that will get full sun, the latter best for areas that get little sun. Both types need plenty of water, just the same.

If you're filling in patches, you'll want the same type as you already have, no?

Don't, whatever you do get 'Bermuda'. I made this mistake and I'm thinking of digging it all up after nearly 8 years of TLC. It takes an awful lot of looking after with regular cutting/fertilising and watering. The 'Japanese' grass looks to grow beautifully and when given a decent haircut looks better than Bermuda. I've always been into my 'Lawns', but made one hell of a 'boobu' with this decision. Anybody got any ideas about the cost of the 'Japanese' in the Hua-Hin area please? I will probably need some 500+sq m of turf.

I think we paid 35฿ a square. I think its's per m2.

That included delivery and installation with one foreman and two laborers.

It must have been the laborers first job because I heard the foreman keep yelling

"Dan si khiao khun".

1400 Baht all in for all the work you mention?

I bet you need a motorized lawn mower to cut that huge lawn you must have. biggrin.png

• Like 1

If you had taken the time to properly read Millenial's post, and the other posts in this thread concerning the price, you would be aware that it is you who got ripped off at 80 Bht/m²

• Like 2

Don't, whatever you do get 'Bermuda'. I made this mistake and I'm thinking of digging it all up after nearly 8 years of TLC. It takes an awful lot of looking after with regular cutting/fertilising and watering. The 'Japanese' grass looks to grow beautifully and when given a decent haircut looks better than Bermuda. I've always been into my 'Lawns', but made one hell of a 'boobu' with this decision. Anybody got any ideas about the cost of the 'Japanese' in the Hua-Hin area please? I will probably need some 500+sq m of turf.

Lived for 3 years in a villa in Phuket which had over a rai of the most beautiful, lush Bermuda grass I've felt under my toes.... It was about 10 years old and doing awesome!

Edit: while we lived there regular watering, weeding and cutting was all that was required... never fertilized.

Edited by mikebike

Anyone ever grown grass on a large balcony of their condo? I've got the space for it and would love to see some green and feel it under the feet. Sounds cheaper than other options (other than tiles)

Someone in my condo building did just this, but had to take it all up again when the balcony drains got blocked and the apartment underneath got flooded. It's not a good idea, because of watering, drainage and lack of under soil, but if you do want to go ahead make sure you get the owners/condo management agreement first.

Hope this helps.