Attempt to ban sale of alcoholic drinks during New Year's festival renewed

webfact

Attempt to ban sale of alcoholic drinks during New Year's festival renewed

12-9-2014-11-03-45-AM1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Office of Alcoholic Drinks Control Committee of the Diseases Control Department has appealed to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha to ban the sale of alcoholic drinks during the New Year’s festival.

Dr Samarn Futrakul, director of the office, said today (Wednesday) that he wrote a letter on behalf of the office to the advisor of the prime minister asking for the imposition of the ban together with data showing the benefits of the ban imposed in New Zealand and several states of America such as Kansas and Connecticut.

Citing the data, Dr Samarn claimed that the ban has helped lower casualty rate from road accidents by 40 percent and assault rate against women by 50 percent.

He claimed that recent opinion survey showed that 81.79 percent of respondents supported the ban against 9.85 percent who disagreed.

Dr Samarn insisted that the ban was not a trade barrier but just a temporary measure to improve road safety and safety in lives during festive season s.

He noted that road accidents from drunk driving usually accounted for 80-90 percent of the accidents during festive seasons.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/attempt-ban-sale-alcoholic-drinks-new-years-festival-renewed

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-18

You can ban this and that and ban alcohol sales

Where there is a will there is always a way, people will still be able to get there hands on it

or they will stock up before the band takes effect

This is just a PR statement to make it look like they are trying to do something positive

can you imagine "hey fereigners, come celebrate the holidays in Thailand, but it is BYOB, stock up at duty free before you get here"

• Like 2

love the picture showing the worst moonshine product ever made cheapest and strongest our local shop even decants the stuff in energy drink containers certainly not my tipple but have tried it but maybe that's what they are targeting

This is a yearly happening crackdown on reducing traffic accidents sort of worked last sonscran without banning sales on mass

About as much sense in this as there is with restricted buying times, 11-2 etc.

Doesn't work, won't work. People simply buy more during the restricted hours. Mom & Pop stores will continue to sell under the counter etc.

Enforce the drink driving laws and maybe some progress will be made.

Banning sales of alcohol is nonsensical.

• Like 2

From Mad Magazine late 1950's

Mad Magazine’s A New Year’s Eve Carol
(to the tune of “Santa Claus is Coming to Town”)

Well you’d better watch out
You’d better not try
Traveling about, I’m telling you why:
Sodden clods are painting
The town.

They’re wrecking the bars,
They’re starting street fights,
They’re having one of their naughtiest nights
The town.

Blithe New Year’s drivers pickled
In alcoholic brine
Will gaily bounce off walls and trees
To strains of “Auld Lang Syne”.

So you’d better stay home
And drink your own rye,
You’re crazy to roam
It’s obvious why:
The town

• Like 2

This guy needs to get his facts straight. In Kansas if Christmas falls on a Sunday then no sale of alcohol is permitted. No mention on New Years. And in Connecticut liquor stores are not permitted to sell alcohol but can be purchased at private establishments. I highly doubt that 81.79% of anyone supports this ridiculous idea brought forth by some so called doctor. I would really like to hear who they performed their so called opinion poll with. Show us your data you clown.

• Like 1

I wonder by how many per cent the road death toll could be lowered if existing traffic laws and legislation against drunk driving were actually enforced. And I mean not only during long holidays, but year-round.

Has Dr. Samarn ever looked into that approach or is he just a narrow-minded bigot wearing blinkers?

Edited by Misterwhisper
  • Like 1