Samui's The Peak Project Hit By Land Concerns

My, my, my. It should be obvious now, even to the most obtuse, i.e. Naranja, that the people who run The Peak are crooks. Not only would they destroy the eco-system and the visual aesthetic of that area, they have to steal the legacy of the local people, their land, in order to do so.

Steve may i ask are you one of these bitter bar owners that resent developers as they did not have the forsight to invest in land.

or

Do you just like talking about things that you nothing about.

i am assuming you are from the USA , to quopte but a few

Las Vagas , Florida and Disney corporation , put your own house in order before critising others

hel_l yer a country standing still is a country going backwards , correct development is progression ask your fellow developer that are developing your hone land

until you know thye facts and as a american obviuosly you believe the media , praise buddha fro CNN , ABc , and fox news

Have a nive day Bill Gates won a be ( controll freak with no life )

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roberto Naranja, exactly <deleted> does The Peak project have to do with any of the things you're talking about? You have the audacity to suggest that this is some sort of altruistic, public works project? What a twit. You mentioned tripe, well you've got it in spades, pal, if you expect us to buy that line of horse-sh.t. No, my misbegotten friend, The Peak is a for-profit development that will ruin the visual aesthetic of that part of Samui. It's fairly obvious to me you have some vested interest in this project. Anyone else wouldn't have posted such lame comments.

Do you know some thing that the general public do not know or do you believe everything you read in the press .

Yes a developer goal is profit , but a good developers goals are more than this, it's about a balance .

and until all the facts are clear i suggest you reserve judgement, or do you shot first and ask question later

Here is what all the bickering is about. I posted my view-point, an opinion, about The Peak project. It was just my opinion, i.e some like the color blue, some do not. Admittedly, my opinion was strongly stated. Roberto Naranja, on the other hand, chose to respond to my comment by insulting me personally, mentioning amoung other things, my inability to provide for my next meal, and so, I responded in kind. One insult begets another. I do not like hyper-development projects on Samui, because I think most of them are illegal, ( I think the facts behind The Peak project bear me out on this one), and that generally, they are an aesthetic and ecological long term disaster for Samui. Once again, just my opinion. I do, however, stand behind my comments that The Peak project is illegal, and that Boon Vanasin is very well connected, and thus has been able to achieve things that are not in the best long-term interests of Samui. I would like to invite an intelligent counter-point to my opinion, not the rambling, disengenous insults I have been subjected to.

Pathetic, absolutely pathetic !!

What do you want Steve, me to get the Violins out ????

& i notice you're dancing around my questions too !!!

Can't wait for your replies Mr Keyboard Warrior !!!! :o

Please be reminded of the Forum Rules, and the following in particular:

Excessive, aggressive posts against other members, moderators and admin; or flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is best defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, rants, and/or for launching personal attacks, insulting, being hateful, useless criticism, name calling, swearing and other bad behavior or comments meant to incite anger.

Continued flaming as has been demonstrated in this thread will result in warnings and/or suspensions.

Here is what all the bickering is about. I posted my view-point, an opinion, about The Peak project. It was just my opinion, i.e some like the color blue, some do not. Admittedly, my opinion was strongly stated. Roberto Naranja, on the other hand, chose to respond to my comment by insulting me personally, mentioning amoung other things, my inability to provide for my next meal, and so, I responded in kind. One insult begets another. I do not like hyper-development projects on Samui, because I think most of them are illegal, ( I think the facts behind The Peak project bear me out on this one), and that generally, they are an aesthetic and ecological long term disaster for Samui. Once again, just my opinion. I do, however, stand behind my comments that The Peak project is illegal, and that Boon Vanasin is very well connected, and thus has been able to achieve things that are not in the best long-term interests of Samui. I would like to invite an intelligent counter-point to my opinion, not the rambling, disengenous insults I have been subjected to.

Pathetic, absolutely pathetic !!

What do you want Steve, me to get the Violins out ????

& i notice you're dancing around my questions too !!!

I think this comment illustrates my point about rambling, disingenous insults. Enough said.

Can't wait for your replies Mr Keyboard Warrior !!!! :o

Sorry, I didn't want to add the last part about Keyboard Warrior, that was a line from the previous poster.

Maybe it is time we all took a walk outside to catch some fresh sea air and calm down. The peak project is not so important to us all to get so wound up.... maybe we think it is but in essence we (non associated) farangs are unlikely to be able to make too much difference to what is going to happen up on the peak.

I believe we all came to Samui to have a better lifestyle, to perhaps even to have a more stress-free lifestyle, to enjoy Thailand for what it is... Go find a quiet spot on Choengmon or Lamai beach, have a beer and watch the day go by. The peak will still be there tomorrow and perhaps we can all have a lively discussion without the personal elements ... it is amazing how many good ideas come up after a few beers...

(Please don't accuse me of being condescending or anything, its just that I have seen some good comments from both sides and feel that you both want to see Samui evolve in a manner that is good for all ... In my previous life in corporate world I did numerous management courses and psychological tests and team work test etc and all of them state it is good to have differing views and perspectives etc, we just need to ensure we realise this and work together because as individuals we are not as effective ... I felt that the recent postings have got a bit away from the original topic and not helpful to the debate).

I cant beleive how worked up everyone is getting over this news story. Patheic indeed.

But I do agree, we should be able to voice our opinions without personal attack.

I agree & maybe i shouldn't have wrote a few things that i did ..

I don't appreciate being called a Drug User though !!!

& for the record, Khunt Stevieff is still " dancing " around my questions but i didn't expect any more !!! :o

When 'newbies' arrive after some not so good news is spread about a project, i am inclined to believe it is a form of damage control. Seen it a few times before, and even in this same forum.

People that make a first post defending a project ARE involved.

Somebody that is not involved doesn't get so worked up about it. It is pure damage control, and trying to keep the 'bad' news away from potential buyers.

The effect will be that people will believe the news article and shake their heads about what people start bickering about.

The damage to the project is done, and probably rightfuly so.

It is not that news agencies start writing complete lies, they are open for lawsuits if that would happen.

For me it is simple, it is clear that Samui is a place where one big scam after another are taking place. First there were only small scams. Like selling land to eldery people for retirement on 'resort' where the monthly maintanance is higher than you would pay for renting the place. Company setups that are completely illegal, leases for 90 years that are not enforcable.

So many of those scams and nothing got in the news.

Now some big boys are making those same scams AND are throwing in land 'stealing'. This has gotten it into the news. No excuses about being unaware that land was not available for building, BIG guys used laywers and money to cover that up, it just blew up under their faces.

Now that it is uncovered, and some small agents that sold these places are looked upon badly, everybody gets excited, and these small agents are trying to cover up their acts. Not by saying sorry i knew i was informing you wrongly, but by hanging on what was said before.

It really isn't something new, as this is the order of the day. With 50% of the agent/developers not registered it is expected that scams are pulled of. The agents that have the best in mind for their customers are painted with the same brush. Although i was not able to find even one agent that told the truth about how to own property.

They just used quickly spoken big words hoping i was impressed. But being unable to answer simple questions gave them away easily.

For Samui it is time ALL of these figures are put on a boat and say goodbye, and that is being very friendly as they ought to be made accountable and pay refunds and be put in jail or at least deported.

Only then Samui has a small change of recovering. I made my decision as i am convinced Samui will NEVER recover from what has happened in the last fw years. I am seeing signs this bad behaviour is actually spreading to places like Krabi, Lanta, HuaHin, Koh Chang, etc. Maybe it is still on time to save those.

The main problem is the law. It just forbids foreigners to own land. For people married to a Thai this can be overcome. But the most of the plans on Samui where directed to people from Hong Kong, Singapore, and other wealthy places. That would be 100% foreigner owned which is impossible. And that part is a BIG scam, and that will be the reason someone will actualy start investigating it and report it.

If nothing would be done Thailand would get a very bad name quick (already too late in my opinion), and exactly in places they can not afford to loose face and trust.

"People that make a first post defending a project ARE involved"

Yeah I gotta say when newbies come on defending it really does have an adverse effect, this forum has 1000's of lurkers and all you are doing is keeping it in the news. It's always eigher people involved or involved very closely to or in the same line of business that get worked up on these forums.

We had a similar situation with Sabai recently, and I gotta say I think posting on here has definatley had a negative impact on here.

Personally I don't see much wrong with The Peak as a development as long as it is only built on legal land. Any illegal land must be returned, that is the forfeit for being greedy and trying to do things illegally.

Unfortunatley what these people end up doing is damaging the market and bringing unwanted heat on those that carry on in an almost legal fasion, which I mean by selling through the company ownership route, which is a grey area.

I think many people do not see The Peak as a bad thing, but are not happy that they are exploiting protected land. It's a huge development in a great location, but it was not wise to get this other land upgraded illegally as it's now going to have a serious impact on profit. The thing is it's easy to say that as an outsider, but it may be that the investors never new it was being upgraded illegally, maybe they were told it's ok as long as you pay.

It's hard to judge unless you know for sure whether the investors knew the land was supposed to be protected. It might be that they thought the land was being upgraded from normal sor kor ha or other low titles.

It could be that they are in fact the ones who have been swindled. In which case it clearly illustrates the pitfalls of investing in countries that are less transparent than what we are used to.

When 'newbies' arrive after some not so good news is spread about a project, i am inclined to believe it is a form of damage control. Seen it a few times before, and even in this same forum.

Somebody that is not involved doesn't get so worked up about it. It is pure damage control, and trying to keep the 'bad' news away from potential buyers.

The effect will be that people will believe the news article and shake their heads about what people start bickering about.

It is not that news agencies start writing complete lies, they are open for lawsuits if that would happen.

For me it is simple, it is clear that Samui is a place where one big scam after another are taking place. First there were only small scams. Like selling land to eldery people for retirement on 'resort' where the monthly maintanance is higher than you would pay for renting the place. Company setups that are completely illegal, leases for 90 years that are not enforcable.

Now some big boys are making those same scams AND are throwing in land 'stealing'. This has gotten it into the news. No excuses about being unaware that land was not available for building, BIG guys used laywers and money to cover that up, it just blew up under their faces.

Now that it is uncovered, and some small agents that sold these places are looked upon badly, everybody gets excited, and these small agents are trying to cover up their acts. Not by saying sorry i knew i was informing you wrongly, but by hanging on what was said before.

It really isn't something new, as this is the order of the day. With 50% of the agent/developers not registered it is expected that scams are pulled of. The agents that have the best in mind for their customers are painted with the same brush. Although i was not able to find even one agent that told the truth about how to own property.

They just used quickly spoken big words hoping i was impressed. But being unable to answer simple questions gave them away easily.

For Samui it is time ALL of these figures are put on a boat and say goodbye, and that is being very friendly as they ought to be made accountable and pay refunds and be put in jail or at least deported.

Only then Samui has a small change of recovering. I made my decision as i am convinced Samui will NEVER recover from what has happened in the last fw years. I am seeing signs this bad behaviour is actually spreading to places like Krabi, Lanta, HuaHin, Koh Chang, etc. Maybe it is still on time to save those.

The main problem is the law. It just forbids foreigners to own land. For people married to a Thai this can be overcome. But the most of the plans on Samui where directed to people from Hong Kong, Singapore, and other wealthy places. That would be 100% foreigner owned which is impossible. And that part is a BIG scam, and that will be the reason someone will actualy start investigating it and report it.

If nothing would be done Thailand would get a very bad name quick (already too late in my opinion), and exactly in places they can not afford to loose face and trust.

Ah come on Jean/Womble you both don't seem that naive enough to say that EVERYONE who makes a defensive first post about something HAS TO BE involved ??

I can see why you'd think that but it doesn't mean they HAVE TO BE involved does it ??

I admitted i have a very close friend who is involved but me personally, no, not involved !!!

What got my Goat ( been watching ESPN too much ) was the fact that a certain individual who knew absolutely nothing about this subject ( & has since admitted so ) started spouting off his tripe about a subject that he had absolutely no knowledge whatsoever about !!!

2 words, Vera Duckworth, & as you've probably guessed, i don't like Soap Operas or the Charachters in them !!!!!

& i despise people who act like those Charachters in the real world !!!!

Ah come on Jean/Womble you both don't seem that naive enough to say that EVERYONE who makes a defensive first post about something HAS TO BE involved ??

I can see why you'd think that but it doesn't mean they HAVE TO BE involved does it ??

I admitted i have a very close friend who is involved but me personally, no, not involved !!!

What got my Goat ( been watching ESPN too much ) was the fact that a certain individual who knew absolutely nothing about this subject ( & has since admitted so ) started spouting off his tripe about a subject that he had absolutely no knowledge whatsoever about !!!

2 words, Vera Duckworth, & as you've probably guessed, i don't like Soap Operas or the Charachters in them !!!!!

& i despise people who act like those Charachters in the real world !!!!

& for the record, i wasn' making the Vera Duckworth remark about either Jean or Womble !!!

For the record, I would like to remind everyone that in addition to illegally acquiring land, The Peak Project was found to be in violation of land use codes. The government panel also felt the project would be damaging to the eco-system, and had other recommendations. It's just my opinion, of course, but I don't think those are the actions of a reputable developer. There are certain individuals here who have rushed to defense of this developer, I disagree with that defense. I believe in a world of ethics and morality and I believe the developers of The Peak project have failed in that regard. Apparently, the government of Thailand holds the same view-point. There was an inference by a certain individual here that because I don't live on Samui, I should tend to the problems of my own country. Just to set the record straight, it's true I don't live on Samui, but my wife is thai, born in Samui, and we own some land there. I believe we're qualified to make an opinion about Samui, certainly as qualified as any farang living there. She is, after all, thai, and it is their land. My wife is not fluent in english, and so I am writing many of her opinions for her. Also, an inference was made by an individual here that I admitted to knowing nothing about the project in question. Nothing could be further from the truth. My wife is acutely aware of the projects location and it's potential damage. Now I am finished writing my opinions about The Peak. The newbies can insult me all they want, I don't care.

For the record, I would like to remind everyone that in addition to illegally acquiring land, The Peak Project was found to be in violation of land use codes. The government panel also felt the project would be damaging to the eco-system, and had other recommendations. It's just my opinion, of course, but I don't think those are the actions of a reputable developer.

Steve

If these accusations turn out to be true then I am sorry to say that The Peak is just being made an example of for whatever reason. Perhaps it is because it is something that can be seen when flying into Koh Samui from the North / Bangkok direction - just like the white flat roofed properties near the airport.

Unfortunately there are many developers (and well connected individuals) on Samui who have illegally acquired land ... nearly all developers skirt around the land use laws, the building codes and nearly all do not make any consideration for the eco-system. Last year in the rainy season the Peak had not even started yet the whole of Samui had flooding problems due partly to bad infrastructure but mostly due to bad use of the land (cutting down all of the trees, digging out roads without proper account for water flows etc) and bad management & design.

I am not involved in the Peak in any way but I do see it out my living room window and was hoping that it was going to be a well thought out and "proper" development. I certaily felt that the road and drainage system they built was one of the best I had seen on Samui. which to me appeared to be a good start.

I am certainly pleased to see Samui being "cleaned up", but sit anxiously looking out my window and hoping that the clean up is applied consistently and for an extended period. I have a concern that reality will be that there will be a few specific developments (such as the Peak) who will get their hands slapped but still allowed to continue in a modified form and the majority of others will just go into hiding for 6 months and then come out again when things have quietened down and carry on as if nothing has happened (except they will be able to add to their marketing speel that since they did not get implicated by the DSI , they are a 100% legal and 100% reputable company and should be trusted more than those "other people").

Don't pick on The Peak they just made the mistake of putting up their signs and advertismenets at a time when the government needed a distraction .. they are no worse than many other developers on Samui. Just my honest opinion from a farang with a Thai wife and children sitting on a piece of beach land legally acquired and developed and hoping like H... that Samui does not get wounded too much by all of the activities and fighting going on ... we may not be born in Samui but we chose to come here because we love it...

Yeah I gotta say I was impressed with the road they were putting in, looked much better than other roads i've seen put in.

The developement I really don't like the look of is Coco, the houses are horrid, the red roofs look extremely tacky and they are so closed together. Not pretty.

The plan for the Peak looked a lot classier, and I reckon it looks like they know what they're doing. They have some good people on their team.

Edited by womble

For the record, I would like to remind everyone that in addition to illegally acquiring land, The Peak Project was found to be in violation of land use codes. The government panel also felt the project would be damaging to the eco-system, and had other recommendations. It's just my opinion, of course, but I don't think those are the actions of a reputable developer. There are certain individuals here who have rushed to defense of this developer, I disagree with that defense. I believe in a world of ethics and morality and I believe the developers of The Peak project have failed in that regard. Apparently, the government of Thailand holds the same view-point. There was an inference by a certain individual here that because I don't live on Samui, I should tend to the problems of my own country. Just to set the record straight, it's true I don't live on Samui, but my wife is thai, born in Samui, and we own some land there. I believe we're qualified to make an opinion about Samui, certainly as qualified as any farang living there. She is, after all, thai, and it is their land. My wife is not fluent in english, and so I am writing many of her opinions for her. Also, an inference was made by an individual here that I admitted to knowing nothing about the project in question. Nothing could be further from the truth. My wife is acutely aware of the projects location and it's potential damage. Now I am finished writing my opinions about The Peak. The newbies can insult me all they want, I don't care.

If you're finished writing your views & don't care, then why are you looking at this thread as i write ???

No offence Steve but if your Wife isn't even on the Island, how can she be acutely aware of the Development ???

Does she know the Thai's involved with the actual developing ??

If this is the case, how you can honestly say that you not having any knowledge on the subject couldn't be further from the truth is beyond me !!!

If she's going from word via Telephone for her Friends ( unless she is receiving information from the likes of Dr Boon ?? ) then i don't think we can honestly say that she's acutely aware & there is always the possibility, as she can't speak English fluently, that there is a miscommunication going on !!

I'm not having a pop, i'm just being a realist !!

Sorry Steve, i don't want to keep picking you out but the further this thread has gone on, the more you back track & avoid my questions that were asked days ago !!!

As I said, Naranja, I am through mentioning my opinions about The Peak, doesn't mean I'm through with the thread. Naranja, first you claim no association with The Peak, then you admit to having a close personal friend associated with it. I have never back tracked from my position, but you clearly have. F&$*king liar.

Khun Jean

it seems that you are very bitter towards Samui.

Many people live on this Island happy and scam free , could it be you are one of these people that have had a bad expeinece on this Iskland , what is the difference between purchasing property in Krabi or Phuket the law is the same al over Thailand .

What this space i am sure the Thai Government will get it right and change the laws as the need to welcome foriegn investment

As I said, Naranja, I am through mentioning my opinions about The Peak, doesn't mean I'm through with the thread. Naranja, first you claim no association with The Peak, then you admit to having a close personal friend associated with it. I have never back tracked from my position, but you clearly have. F&$*king liar.

Steve I think you are out of order here. "Associated with a development" means (to me) that you have shares in it, or you work for the company or a supplier or some other beneficiary of it, not being a freind of someone who is. Samui is such a small place, if we go by your definition of association, then I am associated with Coco because I know the owners and have had a few beers with them, I am associated with Sabai Thai, because I know the main figurehead and have had a beer with him, I am associated with Coconut land and house, because I know the owner(s) and have had a drink with them etc etc when in fact I actually have no benefit in any of these developments, if they succed, I get nothing, if they fail, I get nothing.

Steve I think you are out of order here. "Associated with a development" means (to me) that you have shares in it, or you work for the company or a supplier or some other beneficiary of it, not being a freind of someone who is. Samui is such a small place, if we go by your definition of association, then I am associated with Coco because I know the owners and have had a few beers with them, I am associated with Sabai Thai, because I know the main figurehead and have had a beer with him, I am associated with Coconut land and house, because I know the owner(s) and have had a drink with them etc etc when in fact I actually have no benefit in any of these developments, if they succed, I get nothing, if they fail, I get nothing.ssociatin

Then you are simply parsing words, association can mean a myriad of things, a friendship, a close associate at business, etc.

Let me get this right, you're though mentioning your opinions about The Peak but that doesn't mean that you're through with this thread which is solely about The Peak ?????? :D:D:o:D

That makes complete sense doesn't it Khunt Steve ???

& you haven't even got the courtesey to call me " Mr " Naranja ????

How rude !!

I'm actually starting to feel sorry for you now Khunt Steve, you're embaressing yourself further with each post...

& yes, you have backtracked as you STILL haven't answered my questions !!!!!

As far as me being a " F&$*king liar " as you so elegantly put it, i haven't & still haven't had ANY DIRECT involvement in it & have nothing to gain wether it is successful or not ...

I have a Friend that sometimes talks about it when we meet up !!

Lock me up why don't you ???

Guilty by association ?????

Get a life Khunt Steve & do yourself a favour, try to thgink a little more BEFORE you post !!! :D

Also, i have no interest whatsoever in the Peak

tt

This is another of Naranjas admissions. So, which one is it? As far as Naranja admitting his personal friends involvement or dare I say association, that can not be found on any of his posts. The man is a liar. You can continue to support him if you wish BeachedWhale.

Also, i have no interest whatsoever in the Peak

tt

This is another of Naranjas admissions. So, which one is it? As far as Naranja admitting his personal friends involvement or dare I say association, that can not be found on any of his posts. The man is a liar. You can continue to support him if you wish BeachedWhale.

I haven't you absolute Buffoon !!!!

How many <deleted> times ????

I HAVE A FRIEND WHICH IS INVOLVED BUT I <deleted> AIN'T......................

How fortunate for your Wife that she isn't fluent in the Language that you consistently spout !!!!

& Khunt Steve, you're still writing in The Peak thread when you said you wouldn't !!! :o