Thais Teaching English...

How does a Thai (teacher) go about getting the necessary qualifications to teach English? I am aware that most of the Thai English teachers have a B.A in English. This person has a Masters Degree in Social Guidance (psychology) and wants to be able to teach English.

Does anyone know what options are available apart from B.A English?

There was one Thai national in my CELTA class. He passed the course along with the rest of us. He had a BBA from a Thai university, but any high school graduate who can pass their interview and pre-course task will be admitted. The type of teaching job that this qualifies a Thai national for is something I'm not sure of. His boss asked him to take the course to boost his confidence when speaking at seminars and other speaking engagements; not necessarily for teaching English. There was no doubt in my mind that he was more than capable of teaching English.

Edited by mbkudu

As kenkannif says, a Thai teacher should check with he right dept. of the MoE.

Perhaps also, she can ask her own vice-director of academics, and her colleagues who teach English.

Even in Thailand, what with university Schools of Education and professional minimal qualifications, something like a B.Ed. or its equivalent might be required.

How does a Thai (teacher) go about getting the necessary qualifications to teach English? I am aware that most of the Thai English teachers have a B.A in English. This person has a Masters Degree in Social Guidance (psychology) and wants to be able to teach English.

Does anyone know what options are available apart from B.A English?

Try asking this young lady her nickname is Ying she runs the English departmant at a school in chock chai near korat..

[email protected]