Daughter's fight to bring father back to UK after devastating Thailand bike crash

webfact

Bit of bad reporting about this story. They have omitted the fact that this guy has retired over here and has been here for the last 2 years so any sort of holiday insurance is not possible. It is the cost of repatriating him that they are trying to get money for. How many people have insurance with no limit on it? Also how many expats have insurance that covers repatriation?

Actually that depends - he can still get travel insurance for a period of up to 18 months at a time. He could be living here but as long as he returns home once a year or so he can just get a new policy. So it's not up to the travel insurance provider to say hey you aren't living back home, but it's up to the individual to claim residency back home and all that he needs to do is not stay away for longer than the maximum length of stay permitted under a home based travel insurance policy.

Apart from that local policies, which usually aren't as good because their coverage limits are lower, but are nevertheless appropriate for those individuals who stay here long term and don't go back home in the meantime are also appropriate.

And BTW most travel insurance policies issued in western countries such as my own indeed have no coverage limits and indeed include repatriation - some of them have an excess but my one doesn't. What happens is if you are found to be in a serious condition where the cost of keeping you abroad would exceed the cost of bringing you back home for treatment, then the latter option is chosen.

• Like 1

Bit of bad reporting about this story. They have omitted the fact that this guy has retired over here and has been here for the last 2 years so any sort of holiday insurance is not possible. It is the cost of repatriating him that they are trying to get money for. How many people have insurance with no limit on it? Also how many expats have insurance that covers repatriation?

Yes personally been looking at taking out such insurances myself, but as a teacher in thai schools , they are quite simply too bloody expensive on the standard approximatley 30k /month salaries paid to foriegn teachers over here. A figure that has not increased in 20 odd years or so , I believe.

Hope this guys family can get him home soon .

Actually that depends - he can still get travel insurance for a period of up to 18 months at a time. He could be living here but as long as he returns home once a year or so he can just get a new policy. So it's not up to the travel insurance provider to say hey you aren't living back home, but it's up to the individual to claim residency back home and all that he needs to do is not stay away for longer than the maximum length of stay permitted under a home based travel insurance policy.

Apart from that local policies, which usually aren't as good because their coverage limits are lower, but are nevertheless appropriate for those individuals who stay here long term and don't go back home in the meantime are also appropriate.

And BTW most travel insurance policies issued in western countries such as my own indeed have no coverage limits and indeed include repatriation - some of them have an excess but my one doesn't. What happens is if you are found to be in a serious condition where the cost of keeping you abroad would exceed the cost of bringing you back home for treatment, then the latter option is chosen.

so he retired there happy days nice pension for 2 years gets in big trouble and now wants to come home so that the british tax payer picks up his health care bill for life house him feed him this country the uk was not good enough for him he left so now he and the family why he there and the rest uk want us to foot his bill some times in life people can expect a little to much mind you proberly not him its the family want him back how much did they give to poor poepl i wonder we dont know so wont judge that one

Some insurance companies do not insure people driving motorbikes in Thailand and it voids there insurance

Then don't drive motorbike on your holiday. how difficult is it??

He played the lottery and lost. And now the family expect others to pick up the bill .

It never ceases to amaze me how heartless some of the TV posters can be, I wonder what your life really looks like? Are you really in the position to throw stones?

You had better pray that others have more mercy, love and understanding than you seem to have if something ever befalls you.

Really not a question about lack of empathy, I really feel sorry for the guy.

But I believe in taking responsibility for our own actions

I am selfinsured (been all life) and if I ever should end up in a situation like this unfortunate guy, my wife has been instructed to turn of any lifesupport, rather than spoiling her future economic situation just to keep me alive at any price!!

so he retired there happy days nice pension for 2 years gets in big trouble and now wants to come home so that the british tax payer picks up his health care bill for life house him feed him this country the uk was not good enough for him he left so now he and the family why he there and the rest uk want us to foot his bill some times in life people can expect a little to much mind you proberly not him its the family want him back how much did they give to poor poepl i wonder we dont know so wont judge that one

Since he retired at only 52, fair to assume some kind of disability-pension, which didn't prevent him from driving motorbike on Koh Chang!!

Karma?

"Some insurance companies do not insure people driving motorbikes in Thailand..."

Hmmmm. I wonder why not?

Perhaps there is an EXTREMELY HIGH PROBABILITY that a motorbike driver WHO CONSUMES ALCOHOL IN EXCESSIVE AMOUNTS (see thread on NYE and alcohol) in Thailand will eventually have a serious accident and the insurance company will lose money?

Ese Hombre,

I hope that you never have any problems while you are in Thailand with that thinking.

y yo puedo!

Couple of points here, the accident happened in Koh Chang not Pattaya and Mr Anthony is in Trat General Hospital. There is a link in the newspaper article to a Just Giving Site should you wish to donate.

Yes it happened on Koh Chang and on Xmas day we are having a xmas dinner at my house to help raise funds for Bob if all are welcome pm for more information

Merry Xmas everyone and have a happy and safe new year cheers Barney

• Like 2

A very sad situation. One that is unfortunately repeated way too often here. Proper insurance is a must, as is a proper license. Both of which are easily obtained.

I self insure and keep a fair amount of cash available in case of an emergency. Even then, a bad accident can leave you with millions of Baht in bills. And a trip to the pokey if you don't pay up.

This is the reason I don't drive scooters. Just not worth the risk here.

Wasn't that you on a Harley the other day?

• Like 2

Since he retired at only 52, fair to assume some kind of disability-pension, which didn't prevent him from driving motorbike on Koh Chang!!

Karma?

And would you be making such a comment if he had the accident in the UK ? Really....... engage brain before posting is an idea with exploring he is a British citizen when all said and done .

Some insurance companies do not insure people driving motorbikes in Thailand and it voids there insurance

He played the lottery and lost. And now the family expect others to pick up the bill .

Damn! I wish I was able to be this self righteous.

It never ceases to amaze me how heartless some of the TV posters can be, I wonder what your life really looks like? Are you really in the position to throw stones?

You had better pray that others have more mercy, love and understanding than you seem to have if something ever befalls you.

Lee4Life ... are you from the UK ?

Edited by David48

I should say hospital fees are not cheap around Pattaya. I would also raise the question why he does not have insurance cover? Betime Thai government enforces insurance cover for tourists? Either you need to show an insurance certificate or buy Thai compulsory insurance on entry to the country?

He's not a tourist he emigrated here two years ago!

A very sad situation. One that is unfortunately repeated way too often here. Proper insurance is a must, as is a proper license. Both of which are easily obtained.

I self insure and keep a fair amount of cash available in case of an emergency. Even then, a bad accident can leave you with millions of Baht in bills. And a trip to the pokey if you don't pay up.

This is the reason I don't drive scooters. Just not worth the risk here.

Wasn't that you on a Harley the other day?

Yea, really. Anybody who lives permanently in Thailand has either a scoopi or a dmax or both.

Man, I am amazed at the heartlessness of my fellow man, and disgusted as well.

His children are doing what good children should do, trying to get Dad home and all people can do is to criticize.

They remind me of people I see watching football on tv and telling everyone what they would do.

Damn!!!!

• Like 1

Looks to me he used a t-shirt, short pants and no helmet.

I see hundreds of those type of Farangs in Pattaya that are cruising around without helmets and he was in the police? Helmets can save lives and I paid for my helmet over 7000 Baht. I don't use a cheap helmet to save some money with the police by putting some plastic helmet on my head but to protect my head.

Edited by MobileContent

Really not a question about lack of empathy, I really feel sorry for the guy.

But I believe in taking responsibility for our own actions

I am selfinsured (been all life) and if I ever should end up in a situation like this unfortunate guy, my wife has been instructed to turn of any lifesupport, rather than spoiling her future economic situation just to keep me alive at any price!!

+1 run out of likes. I don't want to be paralyzed as well. For me I would prefer to switch off the machines.

You know you have been in Thailand to long, when you start saying I'm not helping no one less fortunate than me with money problems. In my country if there is a story like this, they always put a name and bank account number. People who want to donate can just go down to the bank and pop it in. What is the point of this article, if no option to donate.

According to the article of the OP:

Anyone who wants to help is asked to call Nadine <deleted> got to the www.justgiving.com/Andy-Norris1/ website.

Apparently he moved to Thailand two years ago so travel insurance wouldn't be applicable.

However, health/accident insurance should be taken out by everyone living here, if they don't have the funds to self insure.

Totally agree but there is a limit on the payouts of all insurance policies. This is why he needs to get back to the uk where he will be taken care of by the NHS

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read quite recently that British expats were no longer entitled to NHS treatment once they'd left the uk for more than 6 months ?

• Like 1

Key details seen elsewhere (redacted to protect the posters identity):

Well well!!! At least it's getting attention - negative or positive, I'm achieving my aim.

Help for Heros are indeed assisting - but only as a platform to accept the donations. They have also been instrumental in assisting with this setup.

The British embassy are helping with prices for facilitating the repatriation - they don't pay for it - I agree - that system would be over exhausted.

The Royal British Legion have visited Bob in the hospital in Thailand and are assisting with the necessary paperwork. They are also liaising with Army records to verify Bob's service and the Royal Signals Foundation.

The money will be held and only released to the Legion or directly to an airline or repatriation service etc. It's certainly not headed into my pocket.

Bob didn't 'abandon his country" - he gave 34 years of his life to it. He has paid taxes to the day he left the UK and which one of you would not want to see a recovery?

The accident occurred at 0930LT on 2 December 2014.

The British public can give millions to Africa and more to immigrants, but can slate one of our own when he's down...?

I set the figure at £50,000 because it will most likely come to that. Initial figures from 'door to door' medical air ambulances came in from £64,000 - £250,000, so I looked to my network of ex soldiers and colleagues from the Army and private security industry. Together, I can muster the manpower and equipment to do this 'privately'. Commercial flights are 7-8 times the normal price because he will be laid flat, requires 2-3 doctors/paramedics to assist - plus medical equipment. A helevac will be required to move him from is current location to the airport in Bangkok. Any money that is over and above the end price will go directly to other troops - I have asked for soldiers on the streets to benefit from that - as we have abandoned them to rot as well.

I understand what some of you are thinking - I'd most likely be sceptical as well, but as this project gathers speed, the proof will be there. The reason I'm exhausting all military options is because the police federation have refused help thus far.
  • Like 1

The level of stupidity and at same time , know it all TV members, never ceases to amaze me. What an insensitive ridiculous post. Sadly there will be many more similar.

• Like 1

They family don't expect other to pay, but asking/begging for help. That's different.

Gotta agree, so many people with so little money. They get over-extended financially and expect someone else to pick up the tab. Don't know how many expats I have helped financially over the years, but I do know how many have repaid me.

Lee4Life ... are you from the UK ?

Not even close!

The same happened to a cyclist in Chiang Mai. He was married to a Thai with two kids. I understand that the Chiang Mai British consulate was very helpful in repatriating him, his wife and his kids back to the UK. It is worth the daughter of this poor many to contact the British consulate in Pattaya and to talk to the Embassy if she has not already done so. I wish her and the family all my best.

They family don't expect other to pay, but asking/begging for help. That's different.

Not quite sure I get your drift on this one. The family doesn't expect others to pay, but are asking/begging for help. Well what financial help/begging/asking for are they actually wishing for? The end of the rainbow? ..... so please explain your drift.